Thursday, December 07, 2006

Fabric or Fur.....

this little pattern can use it all. It just depends on what you have, what speaks to you, and how much determination and patience you possess. Seated, he measures 6". He fiber content is pillow ticking...which was my "turn on". And since he's made TOTALLY by hand, not one of my smarter moves...LOL. But still easier than fur would have been. I generally leave "fur" for the commercial products. "Sam Ticker" is one of my creations. The pattern is from an older book,
called "Making Bears" by Nancy Southerland-Holmes. The copyright is 1983. It'a an easy pattern since he is basically a flat bear. You can see in this second picture, he's button jointed. I didn't get the button perfectly straight or aligned, so when he sits, he leans a bit to his right..LOL. I have another bear, of this size, in progress, and will show you his "parts" tomorrow. The quilt looking things I photographed him on is a utility table runner. A retreat project that uses 3 fabrics plus about a half yard for the backing. It's a quick and easy one, looks good done up in "guy" fabrics if you are doing it for a son or father or uncle, and is just one of instuctions. The fabric needs are minimal, using less than a 12" of fabric unless you want one of them for a 2 ended border or binding(which is what I did. This one is made from scraps left from my Christmas table cloth quilt. The big quilt goes on the couch and this runner on the coffee table with a pillar candle on it. If anyone is interested, I'll type up the directions and email them to you from my Yahoo account. Just drop me an email. I've done this one up in Southwest for one friend, and in fish and tackle for another. It's NOT a raving beauty, but a sturdy little pony type that just keeps going and going. This one is already 12 years old and going strong.
And I wanted to thank all you lovely gals who left me a comment yesterday about christmas past. The memories I shared seem melancholy or "blue" upon reading them, and at times they seem that way in my head also. I don't feel the holiday season is a "downer", it's what you learn from the past (A Christmas Carol) and what you connect to(The Christmas Story) and what kind of outcome and/or ending you take forward with you.
Even if there aren't outstanding "happiest" memories from my youth, on Dec. 21st, 1967 I received what will never be topped just in time for Christmas. A 3 month old baby girl was placed in my unworthy arms, and my new life as a mother began. It truly was the best Christmas ever, and it had nothing to do with trees, or family from home(WI) and everything to do with an ultimate gift of love. She was and still is, my Christmas Angel...*VBS* Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that bear & the story of your Christmas Angel.

Anonymous said...

I think I like fabric bears better than the furry variety. And what could top your Christmas Gift?

Libby said...

Opening your arms to for your Christmas Angel really is the best gift of all *s*

Angie said...

Oh Finn, your post yesterday touched so many different chords in me that I just couldn't even leave a comment about it. :) It was eloquent and touching, to say the least. I've been doing dr. appts. again this week, so I haven't even blogged about my "quilt retreat" last weekend with my niece yet! :0 I would love to have your instructions for the "utility aka sturdy pony" runner/quilt. :) You know I love getting instructions from you, dear friend!!! :) BTW, I jsut received a shipment of some wool yarn...gotta try to make me a felted hat (I'm giving up on knitting for now and crocheting LOL). Happy Holidays, dear Finn!!

Patti said...

I thought I recognized him! I have that book from all my bear making days. I got rid of a lot of them, but I know I kept that one. I'm pretty sure I made this guy at least once. He looks great made from ticking!

Anonymous said...

wonderufl bear -- I think I have his twin around here somewhere :-)

Anonymous said...

You are a woman of many talents. I love your bear.

Anonymous said...

Cute cute bear! I can imagine lots of them done in favourite colours dotted around the house and in the Christmas tree :-)

Maggie Ann said...

Your bear is a charming fellow, and those buttons are a nice touch. A baby girl would be the nicest Christmas present in the world...Hope you are 'keeping' well, as they say. Warmest wishs to you for a cozy and blessed Christmas.

meggie said...

Love your posts Finn!
I also think your bear is lovely.

I made lots of soft toys for my children, & some of them have survived.

My Xmas Angel was 6 weeks old by Xmas day, but she is just as special today, as the day she was born!

Darcie said...

You, my friend, were and still are very worthy of your Christmas Angel! Happy wishes to both of you this season!

Love your bear...he is all too cute dressed in his ticking outfit.

Anonymous said...

Hey Finn,
Do you celebrate 'Gotcha' days with your kids? Friend of mine has two foster-to-adopt kids, and she's made a real ceremony about the day she first saw them, or 'Gotcha' day... :) Her kids like that better than birthdays, even.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Now that is a great Christmas memory and makes up for so many others! LOL Tracey

Beth said...

I too had a Christmas present like yours. Mine didn't arrive in my arms till April 26th, but he was born on Dec 26th. He is still and always will be the BEST Christmas present I ever had to wait for...and my firecracker!

Anonymous said...

Hello Finn,

I just came across the little ticking bear you made with my pattern from
" Making Bears " ; a book I wrote & published over the period of 1982-83.

You did a great job on this little bear; he looks so much like the one I designed and stitched for the book! ( I still have him perched on a special collectibles shelf in my design workroom.)

I have enjoyed your site & your writings & stories.

Thank you for sharing....

Good thoughts, good wishes & kindest regards....

Nancy S-H