Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Christmas Past....

Ghosts of Christmas past wander through my scrapbag of memories today. I had been going to show you one of my "creations", but he will keep for
another day. I read Libby's post about Christmas memories from her childhood over at http://simplylibby.blogspot.com/
And it sent me back to the snow covered streets and strings of bright lights of my childhood in WI. Things were SO much different in the 1940's and 50's. If you watch or have watched "The Christmas Story", about the little boy and the Red Ryder BB gun, and getting your tongue stuck on the flagpole, you have a better idea of my childhood christmases. This picture was taken Christmas Eve 1951. You might wonder how I know that..*S* Well, there is another picture of 3 girls on the sofa. The two dolls on the little chairs are next to them. I am holding my baby sister in the photo, she was born in June of 1951. I know the photo is very degraded, but the rubber animal in the stocking was for her..*VBS* I'm sure my middle sister,who reads this regularily*VBS*, could fill in details in the comments...how about it Irish???? *G* But I'm rambling and losing the focus of my post. In speaking with my DD#1 yesterday, she told me they had gotten their tree and put it up over the weekend. The weekend would have been Dec. 2-3rd. No small children in that house!Growing up she saw our tree go up anywhere between the 10th to the 15th of Dec. By the time her second brother was added, bringing our kids numbers to 4, we put the tree up on his birthday, Dec. 15th. And by the time the last of the kids were teenagers, I was pretty much the only one putting up the tree or trimming it. Those were not happy times in my marriage, and it seemed more of a chore than a pleasure. And then there were the expectations of the kids...hoping for all the things they wanted, since they never ask for what they "needed"...LOL...just wanted.
It kind of sounds like Christmas spiraled down to a less than happy place, doesn't it?
And probably "those" aspects of Christmas, and what it means did. I've always had a tree, even when it was just me and the golden. The last couple of years without even him, I've bought a small microfiliment tree that doesn't allow for much trimming. I'm thinking about changing that this year...*VBS* But just thinking so far...LOL
I have NO happiest Christmas memories from childhood. Our tree didn't go up til Dec. 24th, after supper and just before bedtime. I believe when my middle sister and I were younger, my parents put it up after we were in bed.
It always came down and went out on New Year's Day. That was plenty of Christmas for my mom. It seemed she couldn't stand the excitement it brings a child. I do remember the smell of the fairly fresh cut pine trees. The sticky stuff you got on your fingers if you touched it. I remember my Dad carefull positioning all those rose bud shaped light(the kind that got really hot and burned your finger if you touched them) and his clipping each on to it's branch with the little metal clips. I remember laying on my back and looking up through the tree watching the lights glow in the dark front room. Mostly I don't remember the presents, altho my Mom made sure we had a nice Christmas whether we could afford them or not. Christmas lights in a darkened room are still as wonderful for me as when I was a child. Presents under the tree are exciting, if I allow myself to "go" there. Even if they aren't for me...there is always that little part of you that hopes they might be. And the gracious part, that smiles and pretends not to mind if they aren't.
And maybe since it's Finn that writes "these" posts, NOT Sylvia, you just might be getting deeper look into my scrapbag than most people get. I do love Christmas, it's the hap, hap, happiest time of the year...just like the song says. But for me, alot of the happiness comes from the silent snow drifting down, the silver bells ringing on cold clear nights, the bright colored lights strung across the down town streets. The sights, sounds and smells of the season all rolled up and tied with a big red bow...*VBS* Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Katie said...

Ah, yes. Thank you Finn for sharing about Sylvia. She is a special person and you are doing her family and blog friends such a service by writing as life is - from the heart. I hope you are saving on hard copy or at least on computer document all you write. I think there is a book being born here.

Libby said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful photo -- reminds me of waking up on Christmas after Santa had arrived. How could a girl possibly contain herself *s* Thanks for sharing your memories with us.

Joyce said...

I remember a year when due to some kind of weather there were almost no CHhristmas trees available and those that were shed their needles immediately. We were all disappointed but my Mother insisted we cut a regular tree and decorate the bare branches. It actually looked great esp at night through the window. People asked where we had found such a nice full tree that year. I can't really remember any other tree in detail so I guess she was right in making us decorate that one.

fleaface said...

What a beautiful story, and that picture shocks me a little. The picture doesn't do the memories justice!
I remember seeing the tree with the soft lights glowing, and it was still dark outside. I remember that tree being 15 feet tall, and the dolls were the same size as our baby sister! The pink dresses they had on shimmered with a satiny finish, their hair all shiny and new... Our stockings seemed to usually hold a big orange and one big apple, mixed nuts, some hard candies, and maybe a hairbrush or some little doll or trinket. There used to be coloring books, puzzles, paperdolls, stationery, knit hats and mittens, new clothing, the list is endless...until our parents were no more. I love seeing the years long gone through your eyes and your memories...we all see it differently and that's what makes it so special. Thanks for the memories sis! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your memories. Christmas is such a beautiful time and I think we all have our good memories about it.

Anonymous said...

its interesting to hear what "makes" christmas for different people. Over the years my DS and I have moved to marking the 12 days of Christmas, and the season of Advent very seperatly. I often feel out of touch with others around, but a tree up before Dec 24 just "feels wrong" for us.... On the other hand, not having the nativity set out, an advent calendar out, and the advent books and movies is equally "wrong" :-)

Susie said...

Loved reading your Christmas memories~!
Hope this season is filled with joy for you!
:)

Susan said...

Wow, that was an interesting look in the scrapbag. What a happy/sad mix. I can relate, being a little girl who grew up in the 50s - '47 baby. I think you need a tree with lots of wonderful surprises under it - for you. For all the times there weren't.

Cher said...

another lovely glimpse of times gone by-funny how we can look back and remember certain things.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Such a mix of memories Finn, it's good to see that you realise it is the spirit that counts. You remind me a little of me, just wiser! I always wanted a cabbage patch doll and never got one so this year I'm getting onee from my daughter. I don't care how old we are, it's never too late to have the excitement of "is that present for me?"

Susan Tidwell said...

You definitely need to put up a tree this year, for Ebby! Then we could read your posts about the time she climbed the tree, and the ornaments she knocked off...

I hope you have a hap, hap, happiest Christmas this year!

Tonya Ricucci said...

A Christmas Story is one of my favorite movies of all time, so that is indeed a useful reference point. I've always had a tree too, although the last few year with my Mom and Dad it was a houseplant wrapped in lights. Sort of a tree. I'm going to go out in Florida and buy a small tree with the lights already in it - gotta have a tree.

Judy said...

All of your recent posts have been such nice ones to read Finn! They hold such nice memories!! I've never understoof the puttting the tree up on the 24th much, not enough time to enjoy it!

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Put up a tree for you & Ebby and watch the fun begin. So far this year we have averted all disasters with the tree and Christmas stockings. Last year the stocking were pulled down daily and ornaments were played with.

The cats have looked at the decorations & tree, but I put everything on fluffly white cotton that looks like snow and the cats want nothing to do with snow.

I loved reading about your Christmas memories and hope that you get some wonderful surprises for Christmas.