Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Thank You for my dolly, Mama....

how could you see this little guy and not wonder what loving hands made it? And when? Maybe he was part of set of dolls, a Raggedy Andy to go with a Raggedy Ann? His vintage is undetermined. He's a fairly "flat" doll, and also a two sided doll. I haven't come across many of those, altho I have a pattern for one with sleep on one end and awake on the other. A long skirt on the nightie hides one or the other...*VBS* I have many questions as I adopt these little treasure. Questions that shall forever remain questions. In these times, you can eek out a bit of background about the maker, but not so with the "lost" toys of long ago. I wonder why he has the round white circles for eyes with no pupil added. I wonder when he was made and if he had a partner. I wonder if the child loved him. He's aged pretty well..his yarn hair a bit frizzled, his collar askew and his shirt rumpled. His stuffing has shifted here and there, giving him a "skin and bones" appearance...in places..*S*.
I seem to have a very soft spot in my heart for the old toys...esp R and R's. I've rescued a few from the free box at yard sales, and a few that were headed for the trash. I have my DD's cast off pair, and some made by a friend for my first DD when she was small. Most days you'll find this guy keeping company with the leopard spotted puppy of the previous post. Oh yes, I forgot to mention, the puppy is made from corduroy. Those ears and tail must have really been a challenge!
I have made toys for my kids over the years. One year (probably due to Charlotte's Web) saw me crocheting a pink pig..I'm sorry he didn't hang around forever. I even did a duckbilled platypus for the oldest DD in plum and pink crushed velvet one year....LOL
The making of toys seemed to turn into the making of bears, one of whom is missing....I've looked and looked for Pearl, but still, she eludes me. Tomorrow I'll show you one of my creatures. I'm determined to have something quilty to share soon! Until then I'll share these odds and ends of scraps from my scrapbag. I'd love to see some of your....*VBS*
And a note to myself, get busy and get out those christmas quilts!!!! Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Pearl has just runoff with Ebby and they're playing hide-n-go-seek with you :-)

Anonymous said...

I still have my R - she is wearing what can only be described as a 1970's pink dress! I wrote my name under her hair on the back...

Anonymous said...

I have both my Raggedy Ann and Andy. In pristine condition. Daddy built a doll collection for me, but I wasn't allowed to play with a lot of them. The ones I could play with are well loved. Still have 'em. BTW, doncha remember that Little Orphan Annie had just black circles for eyes? Maybe it comes from that time?

Libby said...

You are such a sweetie to think of rescuing so many dollies from thrift bins . . . but I could have easily guessed that about you *s*

Anonymous said...

I used to have one of those dolls with the long skirt. Now I have none of my childhood dolls. :(

Shelina said...

I had a doll that had buttons for eyes. I took them off so my daughter wouldn't eat them. I never did remember to put them back on.

Anonymous said...

All three of my children grew up in a Raggedy Ann and Andy bedroom. I made everthing right down to modge podging R and R's on every available surface! It was all in the bright turquoisey blues, very bright yellows and the oranges and reds of the mid seventies. My friends always wondered how my kids could even fall asleep at night! Between the bright colors and the R and R's everywhere and on everything...it is a wonder. But I believed childhood should be one of wonder and some of us, luckily, never have to totally grow up :)

Cher said...

how very sweet....I was never given an R doll...my sister bought one at a yard sale where the missing button eye had been repaired with embroidery thread-looking forward to seeing some of your own creations Finn.

Anonymous said...

So do you think that Ebby has bear-napped a little Pearl for herself? Does she sneak out for a midnight meeting with him? *giggles*

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

An R doll is something I always wanted but never got. I love your's...he's special. Have you looked in Ebby's bed for Pearl?