Thursday, March 02, 2006


Stash Buster.....yet another scrap quilt. I snapped this picture at a quilt show back in the 1990. It was made by a guild member for her son's graduation. She used a piece of EVERY fabric in her stash..not too shabby! I love this quilt...and what does it for me, is the way she handled what you could call "the borders". I had thought this was a Delectable Mountain block. This morning I'm not sure that it is. I think DM has 3 HST pairs along the big triangle. So maybe this is a version of bear paw?? Now I'm going to have to go and check...LOL. What I see is that she set the quilt 6 X 10 blocks. Then she did a really interesting thing with half of the main block, alternating the lower part of the same block. Last a row of squares with the HST added top and bottom(like a strippy quilt block on point). Really gives that outer edge some "pow". I've made a Delectable Mountain( still just a top) and I've made a Bear Paw(one of many UFO's) but I still haven't made a quilt like this one...but I will *G* Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

cher said...

this really does have a lot of wow factor! I can see the appeal Finn-so? are you going to put a piece of all your stash in yours??? too much fun figuring out a pattern from a photo!

Jeanne said...

Oh, this is a dandy! Yes, I think it's inclined toward a bear-paw variation.

Leah S said...

It looks like a Kansas Troubles quilt to me. If you have the book "Quick and Easy Scrap Quilts" by Patricia Wilkens, it looks the same as that one. :)

Abandoned in Pasadena said...

Whatever this quilter did with those small little scraps turned out really beautiful. Sometimes Finn, these scrap quilts look like there is a lot more piecing & sewing to them.

BTW I just wanted to tell you that I've added a new link to my links and it's called "TheFourBears"...
and it is my son's family blog. They just started today.

Tonya R said...

Hi Finn, so sorry to hear about your eye troubles. I'm thinking good thoughts for you. Love this quilt too. I'm with Leah - I'd call it a Kansas City Troubles, tho I haven't seen one with that great border. Beautiful job and I love Polly too.

It's 80 degrees and blue skies here. Definitely understand why the snowbirds flock to Florida.

Maggie Ann said...

That is just beautiful!

Patti said...

Finn, what a perfect scrappy quilt. I can hardly wait to see your version!

Abandoned in Pasadena said...

Finn, TheFourBears (link on my page) has posted a funny story that you would get a big kick out of today. It's called Birthday Humor...a must read.