Wednesday, April 19, 2006


Love comes in many sizes.Luckily for most of us, we find something, in just our size, to love and be loved by. Having ended a 37 years marriage, I didn't expect to fall in love again...ever. In reality it took 4 days..*VBS*. I went to a 4th of July picnic with a long time quilter friend. It was at her sister's house on the lake. I had been there before, but what was new is that Abby, the golden retriever had puppies that were just 2 months old that July. And there was one puppy left. A reject. Second largest in the litter, he had been rejected. A litter mate(who had been pre-purchased and named) died. Betty thought this puppy would "work" for the new to be owners. Wrong. If they couldn't have the puppy they picked, they wanted their money back. And so Dakota was still with his mom that 4th of July. Born on May 4rd, he was exactly 2 months old, and already a big, big puppy! I didn't intent to get a puppy 4 days after my DH left the marriage, the job, the family and the community. But I went home with Dakota riding shotgun in the front seat of my van. And filling the ENTIRE seat, I might add. The picture was taken several years ago, but it is the best picture I have of him, my Daks, at age 6 with grandson Nick, also age 6. The difference is that Daks weighed in at 120# and Nick at about 55#. As you can see, his size didn't not keep Nick from walking him(always with a grownup). Daks would walk so carefully, never tugging on the leash. He knew he was much bigger than the small boys who loved him. Grandson Brady, at 4 yrs, would feed Daks slices of salami from the snack tray. Crawling under the table to do so, and Daks always took them so carefully and never in a hurry. Scared us grown ups, but Daks knew...tiny hands and tiny fingers. He was such a people dog, I could say to him "show me what you've got" and he would drop it and let me look at it. In his life time he managed to catch 2 of the mice he was always seeking in the tall grass along the riveer. The first one he played with til it died of exhausion, and then he'd look at me, like I could fix it. The second one, he found and really wanted to take back to the car. I wasn't having any of that, so I sat down by the side of the road and waited while he had his catch and release game for awhile. Eventually he just laid there and watched the mouse run into taller grass. Then he got up and looked at me as if to say, "let's go home, I'm done now". I lost him in March of 2004, to cancer. But I know he's waiting for me at the rainbow bridge, this guy I loved the second time around...*S* Posted by Picasa

23 comments:

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh what a wonderful "love"!

Judy said...

What a beautiful boy! Both of them.

Unknown said...

To love again, He puts us in the right place at the right time.

ForestJane said...

Aww, what nice memories of him you have! Goldens are a great breed with kids.

Do you have any pets now?

Leah Spencer said...

You sure bring back memories for me. Missy also caught a few mice and tried to "play" with them. Same thing for crickets! :)

And you're so right about them being able to sense when they need to be slow and gentle... ohh, how I wish I could have another 10 years with Missy... and I'm sure you'd make that wish in a heartbeat for your own Daks.

*hugs* Such a handsome picture too! :)

Katie said...

Oh, Finn... I'm so sorry about your loss. Dogs are such wonderful companions - always trusting, never judging and giving pure love. It will be so hard but the memories will always be there. Very Big Hug from Katie and many licks from her dog.

Patty said...

best kind of love, unconditional !
Yup, I bet he is waiting for you, but please keep him waiting a very long time !

Melzie said...

Aw he was a beautiful boy, with a heart as big as he was :) ((hugs)) to you Finn, xoxo melzie

Laurie said...

Great story Finn...thanks for sharing a piece of your heart with us!
Hug
Laurie

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

What a beautiful story of your lovely Daks...I know how you felt. That's a wonderful picture of Daks and your grandson...a cherished memory.

In August of 2004 we lost our little sweet PJ...she was 15 years old and the sweetest little toy poodle. Not a bit hyper like most poodles and loved people.
I know I'll be seeing her again, but I still miss her. After she died I vowed never to get another dog again...the hurt was so bad.

Tracey said...

Oh Finn....you're making me cry! Daks was a special guy...with a special owner. :o)

The Calico Cat said...

True love... Thanks for sharing the lovely story.

BTW I think the logs on the "log city" quilt are small - based upon the scale that I percieve the binding to be... Maybe try 1 inch wide for the logs.... I love the concept of pictoral log cabins, but I have never tried it...

Jeanne said...

Beautiful child and beautiful dog.
You know I'm a dog person!
Jeanne :)

Hanne said...

Thanks for sharing this lovely story and the adorable photo.

Susan Tidwell said...

What a romantic you are, Finn! Thanks for the story of love the second time around. Is there a third in the cards?

Laura said...

Finn what a beautiful story!!! Love to you from me and Bullvye!

Linda C said...

Even being a cat person, I can appreciate what Daks meant to you. What a beautiful dog.

I was listening Michael Feldman's "Whad'Ya Know? for April 8, 2006
the other day on the computer. He was interviewing a fellow named John Grogan, author of Marley & Me. They billed it as a story of a great guy and a terrible dog -- who was one of the greatest dogs, ever! Marley was a yellow Lab who was 90+ pounds of unbridled energy, which meant he would dig through the drywall and jump through the screen.

It was an interesting interview and made me want to find the book and look through his website for more "Marley" stories.

You may enjoy it as well and can listen to the interview on Michael's site--link above.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

The Four Bears in the Woods are just having some computer problems and will be back online as soon as the problems are resolved. This should be very soon now...I hope.

Peggy said...

made me sad to read you lost your best love. I too believe he will be waiting. Thanks for sharing as he was a beautiful but BIG dog! *s*

Tanya said...

Such a lovely story. Thanks for sharing.

Granny said...

Such a wonderful pet story! Good dogs are such a great find!

So glad you shared your memories of him with us!

Judy L.

Holly said...

I can't help but think you two were meant for each other. The timing of your meeting was perfect for you both and I don't think any other pair could have loved each other more.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Wonderful photo of your two boys - and both at 6 years of age too, oh my! He sounds like he was a loving companian and the two of you were made for loving each other.

Cheers!

Evelyn