Thursday, June 22, 2006

Fabric string rugs...


Fabric Strings rug...which I'm showing you because Darcie is now crocheting rugs from fabric. They are really awesome and look like such fun! A friend made this for me back in about 1982. She gathered yard sale cotton sheets and other large but cheap fabric..older cotton curtains or tablecloths are a good source. This rug is about 36-38" at its widest part, and about the same height. From looking at it, Darcie. I think she started with that double row of pale blue. You notice that the right hand "arm" is slightly wider than the left? I'm thinking that is where she joined the next color. The rug has worn well for its almost 25 years of use, and nothing is breaking out or away...unlike the braided and stitched ones. On a different note, Katie, at mismatched quilter(see link on my side bar) has been showing pics of her mother and grandmothers quilts. They are wonderful!! Crazy quilts with remnents of embroiders, lots of bow ties quilts...some fabrics dating back to the late 1800's. She's done a really great job with the pictures, showing us both sides on many of them...they are nice maverick type assortment of quilts for every day use....it's a shame not to go and look at them..*S*. I know I don't have anything like that from my family. Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

How pretty. It looks brand-new and pristine, yet you say it's taken 25 years of use, so I'm wondering if it can be washed?

Granny said...

I made one of those back in the 80's too. Wonder what ever happened to it!

Judy L.

quiltpixie said...

what a wonderful rug. I tried a norwegian technique for braiding rugs at a retreat a couple of years ago -- you braid it to itself so no sewing required... but it was very slow going. I love the shaping of this one.

Melanie said...

Cool rug. Almost too nice too use. Have you been enjoying the nice weather your way??? High of 72 today in the U.P.
Melanie

Cher said...

this is a great and obviously well wearing rug! what an enduring gift to be given Finn...thanks for sharing..very fun.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

That would be awesome to crochet a rug...I never thought of it...how ingenious! I might give that a try, but I'm sure you would need an extra large sized hook.

Maggie Ann said...

This looks very familiar. I think my Aunt and Grandma made rugs like this. I used to love seeing what they were creating and my Mum was the same way. Always had a project going. And now, slowpoke me. I too have my projects but don't finish near as much as my ancestors...*vbs* but I do enjoy them, just the same!

Darcie said...

I love it Finn! What a wonderful gift from a very special friend...to an equally special friend!

With the help of very good direction reader...I did once quilt a very, very small heart. It's probably 9" wide at its widest. May have to take a pic of that one of these days. The only thing that I did not like about it was that I HAD to do what the directions (and my friend) were telling me. I didn't feel as free and comfortable...but I did try!

Thanks so much for sharing this Finn!

My daughters have been hogging my hooks and fabric strips through the whole day...and poor me has to machine quilt instead of crochet! ;-)

Lucy said...

Great Rug!!!!

Holly said...

I love the rug, Finn. I'd make some if I knew they could be washed in a washing machine. Can they? That's the practical in me speaking :)

Holly said...

Ah, I read on got my answer to the washability of the fabric run by machine. Thanks Finn :)

ForestJane said...

I've missed a lot of blog this past week - but neat rug! I don't crochet, but that almost makes me want to learn. :)