Saturday, June 03, 2006



I've been thinking about Jacob's Ladder ever since I posted the quilt below. I've been calling it a Jacob's Ladder variation, because that's what Betsy told me it was. We made quilts together on that one, hers in Civil War repro's and mine in Polka Dots. But I got to wondering..so I looked it up and Jacob's Ladder is a 9 PATCH block. What I made was only a 4 PATCH.....see drawing above. And if you don't keep the darker triangles "tucked into line" you won't get the straight furrows look. Also one 4 patch is reversed...again adding a nice diagonal of white squares and one of dark ones. Figured someone would be telling me pretty soon that I didn't have it straight. And they would be right....*VBS* With block patterns, I'm not sure if I manipulate or mutilate...anybody's guess I think.

8 comments:

Hunter said...

Such interesting posts as always.

I'm really enjoying looking at blocks and seeing the shapes that go into them.

Jigsaw puzzles with fabric. LOL.

Thanks for sharing you posts.
Darilyn

Unknown said...

That's all patchwork really is - justa giant jigsaw puzzle - and whatever the block's called - if you like your variation go for it! Can't you tell I'm no purist?

Judy said...

Mutilate..mutilate YES!!YES!!!

Isn't that more fun?

Linda C said...

Looks a little like a Buckeye Beauty or Jewel Box variation then. Interesting twist to come up with that straight furrows look.

Cher said...

fun, fun to play with blocks and come up with a look that you love!
that's what really matters, and just like back in the day-I will copy your block and call it Finn's block :-)

Lily Mulholland said...

LOL that's why you're a maverick!

Simonetta said...

Great really, a good block I would say :))))

Jeanne said...

Good morning kiddo! I've been away in the Real World a bit lately, not getting "around" Cyberquiltland as much as I'd like.
We'll have to see if we can come up with the name for this block.
Jeanne