Sunday, June 25, 2006


A rainy Sunday morning in WI, altho my weather pixie seems to think it's sunny..LOL. This is a vintage quilt I picked up at a yard sale. Actually it wasn't even part of the sale, but stuck up on a garage shelf next to an outboard motor..LOL. The hubby said yes, I coulc have it for $2-. So I took it. It's seen alot of years and not much tender, loving care. There are holes completely through from front to back, in a few places. There was a wider outer border, but it was very, very raggedy, so I cut it away, and re-bound it with some 50's type fabric. It has a cotton batt which is very lumpy. It was quilted in what would be called "utility" style. Not with what we use today, but regular cotton quilting thread..and quilted all one direction. The quilting is further apart than you should do with an old cotton batt, thus the lumping. Many of the old quilts that were for hard use were quickly quilted one direction and called done. This quilt has the lowest possible grade of feedsack type mulin that was used in the feedsacks. It's a very, very open weave, so holes in the quilt aren't unusual.The backing and sashes are all the same coarse weave muslin. I have brought it to "as good as it gets" for a quilt of its vintage and materials. It's fun to sleep or nap under it, in the summer month. It offers very little warmth, which is nice..*VBS*, in the summer at least! Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

quiltpixie said...

no ideas what the block is called, other than "pretty".

dot said...

I don't know the name of the quilt but it is so much fun to look at old quilts.

Linda C said...

LOL, I had one from the Pell City thrift store--Snowball variation that was all lumpy and bumpy like that. Very widely quilted apart with Baptist Fans. I took it all apart and will requilt it with new cotton batting one of these days. Kinda ugly but grows on you. Man, did I have a mess in here from pulling it apart and heck of a cough from breathing all the fibers.

Lois R. said...

What a find at $2 - and what a lucky quilt to find its way home with you. The quilt probably thinks it has died and gone to heaven, with you to care for it!

Granny said...

Wouldn't you love to know more bout who made it and what was going on in their life back then??

Judy L.

Fiona said...

Another interesting quilt for us to look at - I learn such a lot just from reading your descriptions.

Melanie said...

How cool is that????? Don't you wonder how many people it has kept warm in its life time? Even "holely" quilts need love too.
Melanie

MARCIE said...

Your quilt story reminds me of something my friend did. We lived in Minneapolis and you know how people covered up car engines when it got real cold? She drove by a car one night that had an old quilt over it. She was horrified and so she took an old blanket out of her back seat and walked right up and swapped them. She is a gutsy one. She didn't think they deserved that quilt. She is not even a quilter. She is a treasure hunter though.

Peggy said...

I love the older quilts... they have such history. If only they could talk!

Tonya Ricucci said...

Marvelous utility quilt. That red is still so bright. I'm glad the quilt found you.

Lily Mulholland said...

So you're setting up a charity called Quilt Rescue?

Judy said...

Very interesting block...something I will have to copy and save for future thought and possible use.

Great find! Especially for the hefty price you paid! *VBG*

I love the utility stitches, even though they aren't even or done tight enough, it shows what it was made to do...just work!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Wow - that is a pretty fun quilt block! I love those old quilts! This is a fun one!

Holly said...

The vintage quilts are the best. I wonder about the person who makes them, what their life was like, what joys and sorrows that quilt knows... I love the wide sashings.

YankeeQuilter said...

I love to hear about quilt rescues...bad quilt owner keeping it in the garage!! I wish my B.Brackman wasn't already packed (I tried to keep it out but DH rebelled and put it back into the pack pile!)
Siobhan

Hanne said...

What a great find. Lovely blocks.