Friday, June 23, 2006


Teddy Freddy...often called TF...one of my Bialosky Bears. He is dated 1982, but I got him as a gift a couple of years later than that. He has his "Save Energy, Use Quilts" button on and is ready to answer questions...*S* He has his own hand quilted little liberated quilt...one of my first things after reading Gwen's Liberated Quilting back in the 1980's.Not very liberated by any standard, but fun. Karen asked if the crcheted fabric rug was washable? Yes, but not in a machine. There is no way to keep the load balanced. It's a heavy rug, even dry. I wash it on the pavement(which is where I took it's pic yesterday). Soapy water and a scrub brush, and then rinse it with the hose. It takes awhile to dry, once it's mostly dry, flip it over and let it finish. Of course I don't wash it in the wintertime. Yes, it looks quite new, but is a faded shade of it's former self..it was quite abit brighter. It hasn't seen HARD use, mostly in front of my sink, or in the laundry room. They are very durable. And heavy enough that if you have wrist problems this will add to them. It's heavy to crochet on by the time it gets big. I would imagine that is true of Darcie's also. About the Mile A Minute, I don't know why they call it that. It was a magazine artice a few years back. And yes, I often stick in orphan blocks, or maybe a 6.5" square of something odd or interesting. I didn't make a girl's jumper from that yardage from WalMart...I buy the panels of it, but the whole panel gets cut up and used as fabric....I'd say try it, it's fun, but only if you like odd ball stuff like that in your scrap quilts. They didn't used to sell fabric with words,and I think it's neat to find something you weren't expecting in a quilt. These days there are many fabrics with words. Betsy just gave me one printed with all different chicken "stuff", and previously, one with the Gettysburg Address printed on it. Before that we just cut up the directions for thoe "sewn from a panel" things. Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

quiltpixie said...

love the button on the bear. What a cute idea... Maybe I'll "borrow" it as a friend has just announced they're expecting thier first... A bear with a quilt would "fit"

Tonya Ricucci said...

Hey, the cute little quilt can't be thaaat old if it was inspired by LQ - that came out in 1996.

I don't think I would ever have thought of your method for getting words onto quilts. Very fun.

keryn said...

I wash my braided rugs on the bonnet of our car, as we don't have any pavement. It works really well, as I can keep moving the car into the sun during the day to make sure the heavy rug dries quickly.

The crocheted rug I made was really hard on my pathetically weak wrists; I won't do another one, even though the technique is so easy.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

TF and his quilt are both cute & cuddly & soft. Love the button too.
Thanks for the rug info...I have printed it out and will save it for future reference.

Quilts And Pieces said...

I love that little bear and the little quilt. I"m having fun catching up with you tonight, but I won't fill your mail box with tons of emails, so just know I"m really enjoying all your posts this week.

ForestJane said...

Aww, what a cute bear!

I think he needs his own little quilted cap.

I have a doll that belonged to my great grandma, and someday, I'm going to make a period muslin dress and cape for her to wear... thin sit her up in a little chair and give her a victorian crazy quilt to be working on.