Saturday, July 22, 2006



Summer...

summertime..and the living is easy...time for almost everything when you are a child. I was blessed enough to grow up in a community with a Carnaige Library. You don't hear much about Carnaige anymore, but his wealth provided many social program for smaller communities. As I child I was an avid reader. I loved books right from the very beginning. Learning to read was easy, and the stories took me up and away from my daily life. All you needed was a book(or stack of books) from the library and snug, quiet haven and the whole world was open to you. As a very young reader, one of my favorite series of books were the Flicka, Dicka and Ricka books. Three wonderful sisters, so blond and blue eyed(like me *S*). I was sure I was their long lost sister or cousin. And I also like Snip, Snap and Snur books about the three little brothers, even though I didn't have any brothers. But time passes and you keep growing up and seeking new and more advanced reading. I left the little blond girls behind, but I never forgot them or their wonderful adventures. They remain my childhood favorite. Even Black Beauty couldn't replace them. I was quite sure these books were out of print, but recently I came across them again, for sale, on Amazon....*VBS* It's nice to know that the three little blonds are back and charming a new generation of children. Have a great weekend everyone..*VBS*

15 comments:

Jeanne said...

And don't you just KNOW I have some Flicka Ricka and Dicka books from my childhood??? but they're packed in a box this season!
Jeanne :)

Judy said...

I love to read, and I need to get back to it...but these days if I'm sitting I imagine I must have a needle in my hand and I can't sew and read at the same time!!

I do sew and listen to my books on tape tho!

Sorry never heard of these books. I grew up with Nancy Drew and Dr. Suess. They look wonderful though!

Linda C said...

OH, I remember those too, Finn! Those and the Boxcar Children! Nancy Drew came later.

Joyce said...

I loved Flicka,Ricka and Dicka too. I also read them to students over the years. They were always popular.

ForestJane said...

Kinda odd names for little girls, weren't they?

Of course, Nan and Bert, Freddie and Flossie were my pals at that age... and who names their kid Flossie? Flossie Bobbsey? What were they thinking?

Fiona said...

Here in England, everyone used to read 'The Famous Five' books by Enid Blyton. But my little boy loved the Curious George stories (even before they were a film).

Patty said...

Reading is so much better than watching TV.
Our neighborning town has a wonderful Carnaige library that is now a museum for the city. And growing up, the town I went to school in also had one. What an amazing legacy Carnaige left in that regard

quiltpixie said...

never encountered those particular book, I did bobbsey twins, curious george, beatrice potter... and in school we had Dick and Jane readers -- I think I still have workbooks from those :-0

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

You have a nice weekend too Finn.
Hugs,
Sandy :)

Hanne said...

I was also a reading child. Pippi Longstocking was my favourite.
Well done on reorganizing your fabric collection Finn :-)

Sweet P said...

I spent a lot of time reading as a child. Our local library had a summer reading club and at the end of the summer everyone who had read at least 10 books was invited to a party. I regularly read at least 125 books My favorites were Betsy, Tacy and Tib books and Little House on the Prairie. Thanks for bringing back some memories.

KC Quilter said...

Ohmigosh! I, too, loved the Flicka, Dicka, and Ricka books and the Snip, Snap, and Snur books. I loved Betsy, Tacy, and Tibb too. Such great memories. I grew up in a large city. My older sister and I walked about 10 blocks to the local library every two weeks. You were allowed to check out two books!!!! Never enough! But I supplemented with comic books LOL. Thanks for the walk down Memory Lane.

Darcie said...

Wasn't it great how we could escape right into the pages of a book?!

Hope you're having a pleasant Sunday, Finn!

Cher said...

my goodness-I missed out on these as a child, good thing it's not too late to correct that oversight!
I was an avid reader just like you-oh the places you go when you open a book!

Maggie Ann said...

I've never heard of those books, but they look charming. I'll look for them when I can. My first reading experience that I clearly remember was the Judy Bolton mysteries & Carolyn Keene books. I was at least 13 years old by then. But that was when we moved into town and I could walk to the library....ooh bliss *vbs*. My girls enjoyed the Trixie Beldon series, of course I read them too..a good book series is like a lifelong friend you hate to see go home.