Thursday, August 03, 2006


Cooler temps across the midwest today. After days and days(20 to be exact) in the high 90's, we woke up to high 50's and low 60's the morning. Wish I could sent it to all of you who are still suffering with the abnormally high temps. I was looking in my quilt photo album this morning for a 2 color quilts I did for Grandson #3. Didn't find that one, but I came across this picture that I haven't shared. It's a lap size quilt done as a brown bag mystery retreat with my guild. You needed a dark, medium and light in three colors, and in two colorways. It doesn't look like it in the pic, I but used a black print, a gray and a white for one and a deep red, a lighter red and then the red,black and white print. Everything was from my stash. I tend NOT ot use my favorites for a mystery class, as I am most often disappointed with the quilt that comes of it. This one was no exception. I tied it and gave it to one of my kids for a couch quilt. Would I use the directions again?...maybe. But I'd probably do scrappy shades of the fabric requirement. I'm quite amazed that after a year of blogging, I still have quilts and quilt pictures I haven't shared. Most of the actual quilts don't live here anymore, and the clothesline snapshots aren't terrific, but you get the idea..*VBS* Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Judy said...

Well, it was a good effort anyway. *BG* I would agree on the mystery quilts thing, never done one...don't think I could. Too much control given over to someone else and I don't think I could do that. I like to place my colors so they relate to each other, in the best places and well...if I don't know what's going on...NOPE!

It would be interesting to see how that block looks close-up and also like you said in a nice scrappy scheme. Or a different setting..

Most important is that you finished it and kept at it!! Good work!

McIrish Annie said...

you were ahead of your time with the black, white and red which is all the rage of late. I like it, masculine which is often hard to put together..

blow a cool breeze our way please!!! it was 103 in hartford yesterday though about 10 degrees cooler at home. the same for today. we are hoping for showers tomorrow to bring us a cool weekend.

check my blog later. i got a little surprise for you.. annie

Melanie said...

Don't pick on the clothesline...there's nothing like clothes, sheets and towels that smell like sunshine....I keep trying to get Don to put me up one...
Enjoy the weather...the heat broke for us as well. The high yesterday was 72 degrees.Supposed to get to 84 today.

be good,
Melanie

Laurie Ann said...

That's a really striking quilt! Good thing you took pictures of all those quilts that went through!

Libby said...

Love the quilt. Love the clothesline *s* I'm glad to hear you are getting relief from the heat, too. Right now my window is open and I'm listening to the rain. It's falling so gently but I can hear the drops that fall from the trees. Very soothing sound.

Linda C said...

Glad that you didn't totally rule out making the quilt again but with your own choice of fabrics rather than the limited ones chosen for the mystery. Knowing you, it would be a whole lot more interesting!

quiltpixie said...

Interesting that you choose "not your favorites" for a mystery quilt... I often choose fabrics I love for a mystery as they help sustain me through a quilt I'm not sure I'll like :-)

Cher said...

I am with you Finn, the one time I chose fabrics I really liked, the pattern was so awful, it's still stuffed into some bag, somewhere! and I am sad that my favorite fabric got used up in such a stupid fashion.
glad to hear it cooled down!

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Maybe a little of your cooler temps will flow down to us. We still had 97ยบ temps here today.

Vicky said...

I'm not fond of mysteries either. I'm sure the recipient loves it!

We had cooler temps for four days, but it crept up again. I think I heard it's going to cool off a tad again. I hope so. I can handle the hot and the dry, but not together!

((HUGS))

ForestJane said...

I'm like that with mysteries too - I want to pick my colors according to where they appear in the pattern, not just on luck of the mystery!

Eileen said...

I don't like mysteries, except in books. lol
Since I have the attention span of a gnat, plus being a control freak, it's hard giving the control away. That's why no more BOMs either.
I do like this quilt, it has a nice masculine feel to it.