Friday, September 08, 2006

The Very First and Only Y Not? quilt...

Finn Again. With another UNIQUELY mine quilt. Not because anyone "scared me" or "threatened me". It's an all flannel quilt(both sides) that came out of a challenge being tossed at my feet. After the
Thanksgiving meal one year, the gals talk turned to "my" quilts. It's embarrasing to have your DIL's family arguing because one of my son's family is getting a new flannel quilt . I have made NO quilts for my DIL siblings, parents, etc. That's just abit much!! I maybe see them once every 5 years except for baptism, First Communions, etc. They do tease alot in her family. The challenge was what could I make from the flannel scraps in my box or basket at home, without cutting more pieces? I was allowed to shorten length, but that was it. Well, if there is one thing I love, it's a challenge..*wicked grin*..specially involving scraps.
So I took them on..and the quilt above, of which you only see a small part of was born between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Did it empty my flannel scraps box? No. Am I clever? You bet! In the very top row, up next to the white HST's on the right side is a pieced letter Y. Just that. Nothing else even similar...anywhere in the quilt.And it's a royal blue with orange eye balls. It was left from making a bottle quilt for Andy. The first Y failed..so I made another one.
This became the "Y not?" quilt. It went to live with my son in MN's family as an extra flannel quilt for their north woods home. My son "gets" it...the Y,but it was way over the DIL's head. It's hand quilted with perle cotton and about a twin size.
So....................what prompted me to drag out my soap box this morning? I never see it as a "rant", altho I didn't know much about ranting til I became computer literate. I have this portable soapbox I step up onto occasionally as I feel the need. When I'm done, I get down and move along..*G*. I am capable of civil disobedience, but it's pretty rare, especially in my mid 60's.
So what going on here? The seed was planted a while back..don't remember dates...when I heard or read that a midwest quilter and publisher of rulers and books, was treatening to sue someone for use the phrase "mile a minute". She claims she copyrighted the phrase and it's her new quilt book, and it can't be used by anybody else. EXCEPT that was just last year, and friend Betsy had come across an article in a quilt magazine(which I never got to see) that gave simple directions or instruction to make the kind of block that Bonnie of Quiltville calls "crumb blocks" years and yars ago. Either name works fine for me..no problem. Kathie, another WI quilter( http://threadlines.blogspot.com/ )left me a comment or emailed me that she had seen that article and has the magazine...American Quilter or some such thing. So I didn't feel guilty that in my head, they are M-A-M blocks.
Then out of the blue, Bonnie, of Quiltville, found what appeared to be her quilt pattern and idea on the cover of someones book, and they were taking or giving credit to a whole different person. So I read the discussion, and Bonnie's feeling about what had happened. I think if we are part of the web ring where Bonnie is our ring master, we need to be aware of what's afoot. You don't want someone to use your idea, and then claim it and sell it. I totally agree.
We have SUCH a huge resource in being able to find great scrap quilts to make at Quiltville, good clear directions, great pictures, and loving fun. And good tips on using stash and cut up scraps. We are sooo lucky to have that available to use.
It all seemed to quiet down, I never heard if it was actually resolved or not. I did link over to the site that Bonnie mentions, and the gal there has a rebuttal, but I think it's weak. Just my opinion, as I said before. I poked around a bit, checked out her link page, and she actually had an outgoing link to Quiltville. So I let Bonnie know that, in the for what it's worth department. End of story.
NO. Another quilt pattern, that's on Bonnie's free site claimed by someone else as theirs, and being sold. I don't think Bonnie has a link to Acorn Quilting , but if you link to Sew Unique, she has the link to Acorn. I checked that one out also.
I still don't know what is what....but I'm standing behind Bonnie, because shes' been my friend this past year. She takes care of us and our web ring. She's our fearless leader, per . I appreciate all that we have and that she does for us.
But I got to wondering. So I began pulling out books and magazines and looking for what they "state" as rights of the publication.
I could find NOTHING in American Patchwork and Quilting, which is the only magazine I get. It might be there, but it would seem we can make those quilts with being paranoid. Tell me if you find something I missed...please!
And then I came across a statement in a quilt book I purchased last year. A BIG book that is all scrap quilts. I'm not even going to give you the title...ya...not worth the risk. IF you want to know where to look, email me, and I'll tell you.
The page, where they put their publication imfo, says, and I quote: "All rights reserved. NO PART of this book may be REPRODUCED in ANY FORM or by ANY MEANS without the prior WRITTEN PERMISSION of the PUBLISHER, except for brief quotations in connection with REVIEWS written specfically for inclusion in magazines or newspapers, or LIMITED EXCERPTS strickly for
personal use."
Now in your opinion, does that sound like I could scan the cover for you? Or share ANY part of it, it's patterns or by putting a picture of MY quilt(from their pattern) on my blog? It doesn't sound that way to me.
And why does that upset me, making me confused, and a little grumpy? Well, sit back and think about it.
Of the multiple postings over the life of your blog, how many are snapshots of our new patterns purchased to go with our new fabric? Or the scan or photo of the book with the Civil War blocks?
If I can't scan or photograph even the cover, much less the page, how could I, or anyone possibly recomment that book to a friend or to blog readers? How many times have we each violated some right or another without knowing it?
No one has ever critized anything I've shown or taken me to task about a quilt I've made or mentioned. But isn't it just a question of time til it happens?
I LOVE my blog, and my bloggerland friends. We each can have and hopefully DO have an opinion. You see, I don't DO all the work Bonnie does to share the quilt patterns she create, free for our use. Why on earth would we NOT mention her as our inspiration..much less steal and/or publish her patterns in our name?? I just don't think we are that kind of quilters...it's not about the money. I don't think it ever was or Bonnie would have approached it differently. I made my first "Bonnie" quilt way back when she only had a couple posted. It was a scrappy bargello.

I didn't know you can't put photos from a quilt show on your blog without the makers name. Now that I do, I think it's a great idea and I'd be happy to do that.
I just don't like the idea, of that "no part in ANY form" thing I read this a.m. Cause if I write down block measurements for you, or even for me, that's "in any form". And if I take a picture and/or give you the quilt measurement, you can count the blocks and figure out what size they and their pieces are. Doesn't it mean that I can't share my pictures of a quilt or wallhanging made from their book? Because that's "reproducing" in ANY form?

Just the impact on us, the quilt web rings, my gosh!! Maybe we aren't so far more that surveillance of everything we do and say, as we thought we were. Maybe BIG BROTHER is watching us as we go on our merry way. This whole thing is just nuts in my opinion. And that's what it is...me, on my little wooden soapbox...not liken' this.
P.S. You can feel FREE to use anything I show(of mine) that inspires you....LOL Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Texan said...

Hiya Finn!
You know I am new to blog land thanks to your wonderful help :O)!

I just wanted to say I too was saddened by what happened with Bonnie's patterns, its so nice of her to share all her designs with us, for free no less!

I am hoping that whole situation will work out the right way when its all said and done :O)....
Rabbit Stitchings

Hedgehog said...

Why would anyone publish a quilt book if they didn't want people to make quilts?! NO reproductions in any form is just plain nutty. :)

Judy said...

Now with this definition I think you are being too literal. What I've always known about that general copyright paragraph is that it's meant to say that you can't:

1. Reproduce the pages of the book..IN PRINT.like I can't make 100 copies and take them to hand out at guild. Or I'm not supposed to make a copy of a pattern and send it to you. OR in digital camera pictures or whatever FORM like that. NOT the form of making the quilt.

2. I've never thought this to mean that I can't make MAKE the quilt. It's the pages and the patterns that they don't want reproduced. They don't want to see their instructions showing up in your hometown newpaper or a newsletter you share with 100 people. Now if I wanted to use something at quilt guild, I could call them and they might okay it. They write it that way because they can cover any reproduction way that might come up in the future..not just copying, or pictures, or digital images.

Most of the quilts in that book have been printed in magazines and in other books before they compiled them all together. I have the book by the way and it's one of my favorites!

It does say that an exception is "limited excerpts for personal use" that's meant I think to give you the personal permission to make the quilt and maybe copy the sections you need to make your personal quilt...like I needed to copy the pattern for drafting the blocks. That part gives you the right to copy it to make the patterns.

Katie said...

It seems like we only post books and quilts that we like and recommend. Seems like buying a book and posting the cover and recommending others buy it would be welcome. People always want free endorcements. I have always tried to give credit where credit is due. I respect anyone's words, pictures or publictions. I'm sure no expert but I thought there was something about intent - selling it. Thanks to you and Bonnie for bringing this to all our attention.

Katie said...

More thoughts. I always ask permission to take pics of quilts. Isn't my blog site just my thoughts, like a diary is? Maybe we should post such a disclaimer. Oh, me. Just can't see the problem if I'm saying I'm reading xxxxx book or making the xxxxx quilt or saw the xxxxx quilt and like it. This could get out of hand. When possible, I would always give the author's name but people in all kinds of blogs are making reference to reading in xxxx newspaper, magazine, etc.

Libby said...

Just like in any arena, this discussion could be taken to the nth degree. Most likely what the publishers mean is not reproduce the pattern or instructions for the benefit of others to make without purchasing the same pattern or book. They have to look at our blogs as a great form of FREE advertisement. When we show a new pattern, book or completed project we are directing others to look at the designers work product as well. That, of course, is assuming that proper credit is given -- which I try to do whenever possible. Now there will be times when I have a quilt to share that I have made in the past that I no longer remember the designer, pattern, book or magazine from which I got the instructions. Does that mean that I stole it? Heck no. It just says that I am not particularly good at labeling my quilts. And when I do label, it may not contain chapter and verse the information of the designs origins. I hope that no one is dissuaded from continuing to share projects and inspirations on their blogs -- it truly would be sad for all.

ForestJane said...

I'm just not going to worry about it... lol I never use someone else's patterns exactly anyway, and I DO say who I get my inspiration from.

Tonya Ricucci said...

Sorry you're feeling grumpy, old bear. I love these two quilts - I think they're fabulously you.

sharon b said...

In my usual fog land here in florida.. I missed this pattern copyright thing.. But, I avoid patterns that say.. and it's on the turning something twentyand the yellow road quilt.. That you can't reproduce the pattern.. You share the pattern and if you make the quilt you can't sell the quilt. Which I object to..if it's my time and such and some silly person wants to give me 200 dollars for one of these quilts how can they say I can' sell my own quilt.. But, quilt patterns has become big business. But if you look in some of those old quilt books buried in the library you'll find that alot of these block patterns where showing up in quilts from the 1800's. They are changing their names and giving directions using rulers and rotatary cutters. Quilting is about sharing our gifts of quilting for family friends. Most of us make quilts for the love of it. Please if it goes to court.. put me on the jury or use me as a witness to defend the use of patterns.. Finn.. sorry.. my soap box is pulled out now.. Check my blog later..Love you dearly..Love your quilts and we all will keep on quilting..

Darcie said...

I totally get the "Y Not" Finn! What a perfect picture of Maverickness in a quilt!

Susan Tidwell said...

LOVE the Y not quilt! Y did you have so much flannel? Is it from old flannel shirts from the goodwill? Or from fabric purchases? I bet it is nice and warm!

Vicky said...

Finn, I love YOUR quilts! I smiled when I saw your "Y Not" -- love it!

The whole copyright issue is so confusing, and if you ask ten people to explain it, you'll get ten different answers. Frankly, it gives me a headache thinking about it! I so appreciate BonnieH and JudyL providing us with patterns and inspiration - and credit will always be given to them. I always try to include the name of the artist or designer when I post a picture of a quilt I made from their books and patterns. But the thought that I could not share what I made from their items that I legally purchased seems absurd to me. I have a little knowledge of the position Mz. P took when someone tried to sell their Jane Stickle quilt on eBay because I was bidding on that quilt. She demanded a percentage of the sale price of that quilt. Then she popped in on Alex Anderson's message board to voice her opinions on the matter when someone told her that eBay matter was being discussed on that forum. I know that she reversed her opinions after a talk with her lawyer, but that sort of did it for me with that lady and her products. I always refer to that quilt as Jane Stickle now - I refuse to use the name of the book made from that quilt. Absolutely refuse!

All that being said, I think that using good old-fashioned common sense when sharing pix and blogs about a pattern or book will go a long way. And if someone takes offense that I mentioned their pattern or book on my blog, well, toots, see you in court!

You can have your soapbox back now, dear Finn. Thanks for letting us borrow it!

((Hugs))