Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Let's go on with the show....a rather familiar phrase if you have seen "The Greatest Show on Earth"...there's no business like show business.... lets substitute in "there's no business like quilt business". As I've mentioned before, I've used Bonnie's Quiltville directions several times to make a bargello. You can find her fabulous quilts at www.quiltville.com.
I color co-ordinated both this one and the two I've shown for my grandsons, #5 and #8. The first one, I don't have a picture of, but it was scrappy and given to a friend.
I decided to do this one for myself in color gradation. It's more colors than you would think. I used 27 different fabrics, each cut 2.5". The finished wall hanging is 54" square, and I utility quilted it in matching perle cotton. The second picture is a close up to show the quilting, but there is some distortion in the red fabric appearance. I've found some plaids and stripes do that also, when digalitized. I quilted every other row, following the peak and valley across the quilt. I am pleased with the outcome, but as usual always feel there are a couple of things I could have done differently.
Maybe that's why I have no problem making a pattern more than one time. So many possibilities...*VBS* Posted by Picasa

26 comments:

Hedgehog said...

What a beauty!

Carol said...

Finn,absolutely beautiful!

Andi said...

I love color-gradient quilts! Your bargello is beautiful!

Hunter said...

What a beautiful quilt. Love the colors!

Darilyn

quiltpixie said...

I love how the colour flows one into another. You found some great "bridges" :-)

Gail said...

Finn the Fabulous strikes again! Wow-great job.

Paula, the quilter said...

Absolutely stunning! /paula

Laurie Ann said...

I've done a couple of those from Bonnie's pattern too, with scrappy fabric. I love how yours looks with the graduated colors. Beautiful!

Joyce said...

Beautiful Bargello. I tried one but the colors didn't work together and I ended up starting a few place mats from it and they are mostly in the UFO pile that will probably never get done. So I am doubly impressed.

Nancy said...

Absolutely beautiful. I have one of these kitted up from Bonnie's directions. You make me want to pull it out and work on it. :-)

Lynn Dykstra said...

Finn, I love these!

Melanie said...

Finn - that's more than just 'a quilt', it's art....DaVinci would be proud...

Sweet P said...

Your quilt is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Linda C said...

Wow, I feel like I just had a lesson in color gradations! What a gorgeous quilt!

dot said...

vERY NICE!!!!!!!!!

Cher said...

what a fabulous quilt to make for yourself! love the colors and quilting-truly a work of art Finn!

Vicky said...

It's stunning, Finn! Simply stunning!

Hugs

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Awe Finn...I love the colors of that quilt! It's absolutely beautiful.

Fiona said...

Fabulous - and I hate to say it, but it just proves why we need that stash to choose from to get that lovely colour gradation :-)

Susan Tidwell said...

Finn, the quilt artist.

Thanks for your advice on fixing up a damaged quilt and even checking your stash to see if you had the matching fabrics! See the finished project (finally!) over at my blog...

Tazzie said...

I just love it Finn, it's so vibrant! You really do wonderful work!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Susan Tidwell said...

I just realized what you said:

"I decided to do this one for myself"

WOW! Really! Something for you! That's great, Finn!

Darcie said...

Your bargello quilt is so striking, Finn! Love your color combination. You quilting is perfect too...not too much...not too little!

Elaine Adair said...

Wow - you have been busy! There is nothing like looking at someone else's photo (yours) to rekindle my enthurisam to what I have in a corner, almost finished (mine!). Great job! Thanks for the boost.

Libby said...

Finn, it's a stunning piece. It makes me think of a rainbow. I hope you keep it in a place of honor.

sharon b said...

I love it. You are right so many possibilities... Love you color arrangement.. Great quilt..