Sunday, March 11, 2007

Imagining.....

and altho it looks wrong, I think I spelled it right? Should be just like beginning, right? Anyway....LOL...Some of us look at the world, our lives(especially our lives) as being much like a photo album of images. If we are sighted, that is. So many things lend themselves to 'masking' what we show others, what we show the world. Masks are a primative art form, and I love them. But, I am not a
mask maker, at least not of tangible materials. I think about it, but the furthest I get is drawing them.
This wall quilt was given to me by a guild member back in 1994. She and I had worked together with Animal Spirit cards at our November retreat. In December, she gave me this 'mask' she had whipped up for me. It's quite the wild and crazy piece...much more popular now than 10 years ago. In the first pic, I left the color as it photographed. The back ground is actually orange grove orange. Hopefully I did what I should have so you can click and enlarge the pictures. It's doen entirely on the sewing machine, and quite creatively. I love it. It spends most of it's time on my sewing room wall and is in good company with my little quilt from Tonya R. at http://lazygalquilting.blogspot.com/ which features an eye...*VBS*
The party was fun yesterday, but I have to confess that even 4 hours with a 5 yr. old, a 4 yr old, a three yr old and one almost 2 yr old is very exhausting. And I was just on the sidelines!!!!! Home and Ebony looked very, very good by 7:30. I snoozed my way through the clock changing, as usual. I just live with it for a few days, getting up at my usual time and ignoring what the clock says. I have gotten borders on the two doll quilts from yesterday, and will run those up with flannel backings later today. I can give you just a bit more information about the long rug, but I'll leave that for a later post..*S*

7 comments:

Darcie said...

What a wonderful gift...and so fun to have it as a reminder of the job that the two of you ahred. Love those colors! Is the mask one fabric or fused bits?

Very contemporary...but yet with a primitive twist. Or...should that be stated the other way around?!

quiltpixie said...

what a wonderfully inspiriing mask! They are an art form that my mother loves -- I may need to take inspiration from yours and make one for her :-)

dot said...

What a great creative quilt from your friend. I would have thought it was made just recently. Very clever lady. I can see why you enjoy it.

meggie said...

Love that mask! What a lovely gift.
I know how exhausting little ones are! We find our little grandson such fun, but we are always worn out when he goes.

Gail said...

Your wonderful mask quilt demonstrates a quilters truth- you may not imagine a certain color combination, or a particular style of quilt when chosing what to make, but you can see something totally 'not you' and beyond your own vision, and just LOVE it!

Cher said...

love everything about this piece Finn-thanks for sharing and the close ups work great. I will have to share the masks that M has collected-art from south of the border in her case.
I know what you mean-watching active young children play can wear a body out! glad you are able to allow the clock change to not disrupt your routine-seems like the middle of the night getting up this morning.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Reminds me of a Billy Joel song about the mask, or face we show the world being very different to the real thing. The analysis of that would be too much for a comment section to bear, so I will just say HI! Tracey