Monday, April 09, 2007

The Morning After.....

and the day has dawned clear, bright and very cool. My little corner of the world just before sun-up. I really like looking at this small stand of trees from day to day, watching the seasons unfold outside my window..*S* I had such a good
time with my oldest son's family yesterday. I rarely get just he and his wife and the 3 boys, and it was really a treat to have JUST them to talk to and enjoy. The boys are 13, 11 and 9 now, and what a lively crew they are. So involved in sports of all kinds, school, everything that happens in the world, everything that is going on. We all played Clue and then UNO and had a good time. A little later the youngest one asked me to show him how I make my rugs, and before you know it his big brother has taken the hook and is working on my newest rug....LOL He caught on very fast and his hands are just about the right size. Poor Tanner's hand are almost too small at 9. Nick crocheted an entire 'round' and was just thrilled (as was his mom). I feel that any skill you are able to try (and either master or understand) is a good addition to your life...you can't have too many skills. When they were young, ALL my five kids(2 girls, 3 boys) had latch hook projects to work when they choose. I think there might be some latch hooking in the DGS's future also.
And here's dear Ebby. She survived her first encounter with my grandchildren. None have been here since I got her in Sept. She has no clue that they now number 10...LOL
She was very skiddish and shy with them, but she did come out to see who was in her house. I have lots of leftovers in the frig and I think I'll be eating ham for quite awhile and also making some navy bean soup with the bone. The last picture is one that my

oldest DD did in Kdg. back about 1972. I have always liked it, as folk art, and have decided I can reproduce it in the wool felt quite easily. I think I will cut the same shapes and button hole them to a background. Haven't decided if it will be a small wall quilt or a pillow. But it's one of my next evening projects. A change from crocheting every evening..*VBS*
I didn't manage to mentioned it, but Grandson#10 was born about 8:30 on April 5th. He came screaming into the world weighing 8# 4 oz. and 21" long. He has a crew cut worth of hair, and they have named him Zander Grant. Definitely NOT a family name...LOL Such is life, I guess.

15 comments:

Nancy said...

I'm so glad sweet Ebby survived the visitors. :-) NONE of mine can stand to have anyone come over and will all make a run for the door to get outside. Then I have trouble getting them to come back in. then they go from room to room making sure nobody stayed behind before they'll relax and get back to normal.

That artwork will make a wonderful wool felt piece. Tell me are you going to keep it for yourself or give it to her as a gift?

and congratulations on the new grandson!

Kelly Yates, PhD said...

I have a cat that looks exactly like this black one except she has black eyes!! How adorable!

meggie said...

Ebby is gorgeous. She has come a long way!
I love the art piece, & it will look lovely in felt.
Congratulations on another grandson.

Tanya said...

A fun day for you and the grandkids! Are all of them grandsons?! Wow! Pretty soon you could start a baseball team!

Patti said...

Another grandson - how wonderful for you! Congratulations!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I'm so glad you had a nice time with your son and his family! And isn't it great when kids like to learn things like that - especially boys! I think your idea to make that picture in felt is inspired! I LOVE that idea!

Maggie Ann said...

Yes, Congratulations on your new grandson...=). Sounds like you had a fabulous visit with your son and his family. I think its the neatest thing when kids learn to make things. My Mum told me, never turn down the chance to learn something new. Good memories last a lifetime...

Kairle Oaks said...

How wonderful to have a visit from your loved ones. Isn't it amazing the skills that the kids pick up when we take a little time to share our talents? I've been helping my DDs friend learn how to crochet.

What a clever idea to make your DDs art project into something made from wool. I'll stay tuned....

Judy said...

Congrats to the family on your new grandson!

sewprimitive karen said...

Love Ebby and the wonderful piece of art, which should look wonderful in wool.

Shelina said...

Congratulations on your newest grandson Finn! Board games and latch hook sound like wonderful ways to bond with family. I really like the fish picture. It is going to be even lovelier reproduced in fabric.

Darcie said...

Congratulations to you, Gramma Finn!!! Zander has joined a wonderful family!

Love your idea for your daughter's little art piece from the past. You will share your progress with us, won't you...pleeeeeeeease?!?!

So nice to hear about your lovely weekend. Ahh...another crochet-er has been born!!! And if he's a ballplaying nut...crocheting will impove his hand to eye coordination skills. ;-)

Libby said...

Sounds like a wonderful day with your family - good company, food, games, crafts and lots of hugs . . . perfect *s*
Love the idea of recreating your daughters work in wool - it will be so fun.

Tonya Ricucci said...

DD's art is going to look wonderful interpreted in wool - excellent project.

Cher said...

I love the idea of making your DD's art into a wool wall hanging..how very sweet!