Friday, March 06, 2009

Another Frugal Friday....

And a busy day for me. But I took time to sew. No bread baking today, since I kind of went overboard with last Friday's loaves. The sun is out in WI today, and is busy making lots of puddles. The grass is bare in places, just as it was before last weeks blizzard. I have no plans for the weekend except to maybe get my income tax ready for the accountant. That would be a good project!! These are the string blocks I am making on these Frugal Fridays. I'm using squares cut 8.5" from older soft sheets and pajama parts. Old flannel is super soft to work with, and almost no lint left in it. These are some of last weeks blocks.
 And here they are with some of today's added to them. I using a black strip(for the most part)as the center strip. Being Finn, of course some of them might be dark green or blue *VBS* In the scope of things, looking at it through Gee's Bend eyes, that works just fine.
 My friend, Granny Lyn, asked about the mile a minute blocks. They are known by many names. I had first heard about them years and years ago, in a magazine article, called MAM, and that's what they are to me. There are NO rules Granny Lyn, just grab a bag, box, bin or bushel of scrap pieces. Strips, odd blocks, etc work too. Pick two of a similar(or dissimilar)size and sew them together. I chain piece them, running several through the machine before cutting them off and adding the next piece. Some of these have been through the machine several times already. I'm aiming for 6.5" blocks. You can go as large or small as you wish. Sometimes I finger press, and occasionally I take them to the ironing board and press them out. That happens mostly when I see that they are nearly big enough to cut to size and stack. The sky is the limit as far as color choices, shaped pieces and all that jazz. It's a very liberating way to sew, no pre-cutting needed and nothing has to match up with anything else.
 Here are 4 more of the beginnings of new blocks. I've measured and added the size to give you the idea of how small a piece can be used. I do tend to use alot of smaller pieces in these. As you get out further you'll need some bigger pieces or strips. They can be made with as few or as many pieces as you like. Tomorrow I'll show you a new top that Betsy completed recently and didn't want, so it came home with me to be pressed out and tied as a donation quilt. Our piecing style are as individualistic as we are, but we're both gorgeous!!!
I've been trying to think of something "newish" to mention in regard being frugal, and what I have come up with is this. Frugal piecing, whether Orphan Train blocks, or MAM, string blocks, etc. consider using up the smaller amount of thread on spools and/or the really odd colors that just sit and wait. A Ben Franklin near here went out of business a few years ago, and sold off their Coats and Clarks thread for very low prices like .15 and .30 cents each. Jean and I brought quite alot of it. I still have more spools of Kelly green than anyone alive I think. This kind of piecing, or even the Strippy quilt piecing is a great place to use it up.
And speaking of Strippy Quilts, my friend Leslie had made her first Strippy quilt. It's just beautiful, pop over and take a look. See you next Friday with more Frugal Friday fun!
Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh Finn, thank you for the wonderful way to use up all my small pieces, have a nice weekend.

Scrappy quilter said...

I love string quilts. I think the way you did yours with lights and darks is spectacular. Now on to the thread....I bought hundreds of thread rolls when a store was going out of the business near our small town. She gave me a huge deal on them. However they are all odd colors. I use them all the time in my scrappy quilting. I'm sure the kids don't mind what color thread I use.

I'm so enjoying these Frugal Fridays.

Granny Lyn said...

You're gonna make me do a strippy yet, aren't you? I absolutely LOVE that strippy gem!!

thanks for the clarity on the MOM blocks, I think the grand daughters will like playing with my crumbs!!

Norma said...

I really like the light/dark in that strip quilt......gives me ideas for the next one. Strip bin does not seem to be getting smaller.

Always wondered what mile a minute blocks were.......thanks, Finn.

Frugal Friday really does go with these scrap blocks and again, what real quilts are all about.

Greenmare said...

your strings look just awesome!!! I never knew there was a name for what I did with all those wacky size pieces when I stitched them together like you are! cool, now I can call them my MAM's or M&M's, I like that! Dark chocolate with peanut M&M's.... oops I digress again. Are you in line for this STUPID snowstorm they are talking about tomorrow!!! yikes! we are in the 6-8 inch band near Green Bay! help! I'm already drowning in mud!

Cher said...

yes, that is just how I love to piece and play in my scraps..so creative and relaxing...love your photos

2ne said...

Nice way to use all the small pieces. I visited Wisconsin about 3 years ago. Have a kreative day

Myra said...

Woohoo good for you Finn! My scrap piles/bags/boxes are growing... will tackle them once I am all caught up on my UFOs... 8-)
Happy stitchings!

Magpie Sue said...

Yup, that's the way I do it too! :- )

Vivian said...

Bonnie Hunter calls these "Crumb Blocks" and has made some wonderful quilts from them (http://quiltville.com/crumbs.shtml).

I've recently finished my first crumb top and it's waiting on some additional sashing on the outer edges and the border.

Hopefully if I can get my new blog account up and running I'll be able to post it when it's finished.

Helen said...

I do this kind of block when I want to sew but my brain can't cope with anything that requires thinking. I can get a lot done in a evening when I am not thinking :-)

Dionne said...

Fabulous! One of these days I plan to make something with my crumbs. One of these days....
:-)
Cheers,
Dionne

Brenda said...

I like the strippy quilt idea and I want to do one myself soon. Have you tried it without angling the joins between the strips? how did it look? Is there a good reason to join them at the angle instead of straight across, other than visual interest?