Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Summertime, summertime....

has definitely hit WI! After many weeks of assorted varieties of "spring", Miss Summer hit when we weren't looking *VBS* Our 70 degree temps, and rain have vanished and we are sweltering in 90+ degree days and warm, warm nights. And storms that result from the heat. Fun, fun, fun! Oh ya! I'm still hunkered down in 'scrap' heaven, playing with flannel. This first collage is just that...flannel scraps(again!) I wanted mention, as you assemble any MAM block, if you have a fairly narrow strip at the outside edge(as you piece), remember to add the next strip to THAT side. The 1/4th inch will disappear then. If you added it to the opposite side, you will lose too much off that narrow one when you size the block. The completed block(1st pic) is an example of "getting wonky" without 'on point' cutting. Just sew the scrap the way it is, it'll do the wonky for you *VBS* The picture with the scraps..that's all that left of several gallon bags(and one box) of flannel trimmings! I have a few partly pieced blocks there in a bag. If I need more blocks, I'll finish them up. If not, they will wait for some new scraps, that way it all blends together. The fourth pic is of my old Pumpkin Soup quilt. The pattern is Thimbleberries "Sticks and Stones". It's one of the only quilts I've made using a "selected" group of fabrics. I think this one could be quick and easy in assorted scrap also *VBS* Everything is a 2.5" cut. Easy Peasy!
 In my determination to get my flannel scraps under control this summer(read USED UP)I'm working with flannel that looks like this. I've been cutting the bigger scraps into 3.5" squares and HSTs and making Tonya's wonky blocks. They are fast and easy and very forgiving.
 Smaller scraps from that same group are made in to 4 or 9 patches or fence rails. This quilt will be a row quilt, using all of those. And, *VBS*, a new picture of my DGSs. Summer softball program. GS D is turning 10 in August, his little brother, GS N will be 6 on July 12th. DD#1 went to the baseball game on Saturday, despite the high heat and humidity. I would love to have been there, but breathing is fairly important to me, and I can't venture out when we have heat and humidity. Strangely, cool(or cold)dampness doesn't affect my breating..weird!
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

Hi friend, it's always so neat to see what you're doing in your quilting process. I love it. Your collages are great.

Great looking grandsons. Hugs.

Paula, the quilter said...

Sum, sum, summertime...

Now I will have that earworm for the rest of the day, thanks, Finn.

Anyway, do you deepen your seam a bit when you work with flannel?

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Thanks for the hints on sewing the flannel. Such cute kids!

Magpie Sue said...

If you hadn't said you were trying to use up your flannel scraps I'd be tempted to send you mine! It's not hot & humid here (at the moment) but I can't imagine working with flannel right now.

It does seem odd that the heat & humidity impedes your brething but cold doesn't. My grandparents moved from northern MI to CA because the cold air made her asthma so bad.

meggie said...

I really dislike the high humidity, & my mother had emphysema that made her breathing so hard in hot humid weather.
Love that photo of your little grandsons- they are both gorgeous.

Cher said...

hurray for using up the flannel scraps..looks great so far. The weather has been up and down here lately..summer not quite arriving in full force as yet. keep staying cool.

Chris Daly said...

You have a cutest Grand kids! I love your flannel blocks.

McIrish Annie said...

Can't believe you are playing with flannel in 90 degree weather! LOL!

love the MAM. haven't done that in some time. Maybe it's time to pull out the scrap bucket and do some blocks, hmmmmmm

well that will have to wait til after the 4th and my trip to the Jersey shore.

enjoy the holiday weekend. and thanks for posting that list of things to remember. We truly are a blessed nation.