Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sixty five years....

 have slipped away since this first day of school picture was taken. My best friend Betty, another Smith but not related, and I, all set for school including the handkerchief pinned to our dresses. High Fashion ala 1945. It's that time of year again, birthday season, and I've just celebrated my 70th. Had a wonderful time on an autumn leaf tour via Train. Just a couple of hours between Osceola, WI and Marine on the St. Croix,MN, but lots of fun and very beautiful. I love trains! A party followed at my DD's house, a complete surprise to me, and so much fun! Got to hold baby AJ and get the run-around by big brother L. Beautiful weather and good food. I have great kids!
 Ebby has also turned another year older, she's 9 this year(I think)...maybe 8. Her age at arrival was a bit up in the air. She's been here 4 years, and seems more relaxed with age. Believe it or not, this is what happens immediately AFTER having a pinch of her beloved catnip!! I snapped 3 pictures and her eyes didn't even open!! So much for catnip being a stimulant!
 The colors of autumn are all around us, and my neighbors tree catches the first rays from the morning sun. These might be casual snaps from my little patio, but I find the beauty lies in simple things and the changing seasons. I'm finishing up my 6th year here in the Valley and will stay for at least one more. The new lease is signed.The Queen is in her castle, eating bread and honey *VBS*
 
Posted by Picasa
I love the view out across the driveways, highway and into the farmland beyond. Every season has its own beauty and mood.
There is a shortage of quilt related pictures here lately, but I HAVE been sewing...A LOT!! What I haven't been doing is i.r.o.n.i.n.g.!! I hate the pressing(or ironing) out of blocks and tops. And, of course, one must do that! I've spent an hour or so at the iron this evening, and hope to have pictures tomorrow or the next day. I've finished up 3 more "project" tops and that feels good. Of course they are still flimsies, don't want to get too crazy all at once...LOL

11 comments:

AnnieO said...

Well, very happy birthday wishes for you, Finn! Great photo--isn't it wonderful to have them? I doubt if I have a photo of childhood me and my best friend from two doors down, but luckily we are still friends and I am seeing her this weekend, in fact. Sounds like you had a lovely celebration and train ride. Glad you're sewing (and ironing)!

Ms. Jan said...

I love your view and your posts!!!

Dolores said...

Happy belated birthday. It sounds like you had fun.

Stephanie D said...

A belated happy birthday, Finn!! Glad it was such a lovely time for you.

That tree is gorgeous! I hate to see them all go bare so quickly, though.

Clare said...

What a lovely birthday. I can't believe you've had Ebby that long. it seems like yesterday.

Hugs

Julie in the Barn said...

Happy Birthday, Finn. It's looking lovely in your valley. Glad to hear you've got your quilting mojo back. I don't mind ironing and pressing the small stuff. It's the finished flimsies and the big backings that are a chore for me. I used to wash and press yardage when it came home with me but ironing more than 1/2 yard cuts is such a pain that I no longer do it. It just gets folded up, wrinkles and all.

Angie said...

It warms my heart to hear that you had such a lovely birthday, Finn. I cannot believe how the time simply flies away like dandelion fuzz. Can you believe that Ms. Ebby has been with you for FOUR years!! Lovely photos; and I'm soooo glad the Queen is in her castle for another year. :D Hugs, dear Finn!

Michele Bilyeu said...

Love all the gorgeous colors now! And really loved that you had a train trip and so much fun. I am delighted for you! And Miss E? How funny is that? I wonder if she is like ADHD humans where their medicine is actually a stimulant that calms them down but would make others hyper. She is a sweetheart and I love seeing photos of her..and you Miss Smith...never knew that was your maiden name! So, Sylvia Smith became Finn? You should tell us, (or I missed it if you did) how you chose Finn for your screen name story. I still laugh over how I sent you that pkg addressed to Finn and how your postman was quizzical about it. You're just lucky that the extra address labels didn't say Finn on them, too!

Auntie Em said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Sounds like you had a lovely celebration. Sending you some Birthday hugs!

Ila K. said...

Happy late birthday, dearie! Many happy stitches to you!!

Sara said...

Finn, I'm enjoying the red maples along our driveway -- especially since I planted them about12 years ago. I also love seeing the tall ornamental grasses waving in a breeze.