Thursday, January 27, 2011

Into the rabbit hole...

tumbling, end over end, head first into an upside down world.Memory serves as no guide here. Actions are by instinct or impulse, you choose. The grinning cat blinks and disappears, the friendly rabbit has no time for such as me. Blackout? White-out? Rabbit hole? It all looks the same. Take refuge amid the scraps, hunker down and wait. Welcome to my world *VBS* I'm here, playing hopscotch or leap frog, or duck, duck, goose amid the blues. I came late to the rainbow party and there isn't much chance I'll finish before the next month's color is announced.But I'm having a ton of fun, and in January, in WI, that seems like a wonderful idea!
  I've been turning my scraps into strips, and strips into 9 patches that look like this. I've only "sort of" made a dent in my pan of blue scraps, and what I'm finding is that I'm dreadfully short of light blues. Apparently I like intense color...who could have guessed that? Me? Not a pastel person. I have a plan for these 9 patches rather than my usual haphazard way of just "making it and figuring it out later". My only question is "how many" do I need? Time for some math, I guess.
 This is where I am headed with the blues. I think it's going to work fine, and for now, I'm planning a BIGGER,rather than smaller, quilt. One block, finished to the light strip that seperates them is 14.5". Knowing that I can do the math for whatever size I want. The question I have for you is this...does the amount of light overpower the 9 patches too much? I've stewed about that all the while I was putting my idea together. There is very little white in the 9 patches. I tried to keep the 'lights' to light blue, or a blue print with some white(and a few other colors). It definitely won't have a heavy look about it. I can see it doing nicely as a summer quilt. What do you think????
 
And since my blue scraps are fairly ample(like that fat rabbit) I'm sewing some 2.5" strips into another "strippy" top. I'm heading for 54" X 72" with this one. I folded it in half for the picture. I've kind of steered clear of the aqua tones, tossing them into a seperate pile. The piece is 11 strips wide right now, headed for 27...or less if I run out of blue or get tired of it.
Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

Amelia said...

Love the blues!

You are right in smurf territory it appears.

Have fun doing this project.

julieQ said...

I just love your blues!!! And you know I love nine patches...you are doing great things in that rabbit hole!!

Scrappy quilter said...

I think it's perfect. I seen that pattern before, just a little variance. Can't wait to see it finished. Hugs

Sara said...

Goodness, Finn! I've been avoiding the color monthly challenge because of other "commitments". Dang it! You are not helping me!

Love your blues, and the strip quilt will be great, whatever size it ends up.

[And Judy Liquidara is coloring January "yellow".]

AnnieO said...

Nine patches sure are versatile--I think the light blue sashing looks just fine. It is a bit hard to see in your photo but I'm guessing there's no sunny days in the offing! Have fun with those blues...

joulesB said...

i like the pale areas. if you quilt it with a darker blue then wouldnt that shade it?

Clare said...

Oh Oh Oh! Blues! Your little 9 patches remind me of my Blueberry Fool, which is waiting to be quilted.

Keep having fun.

Hugs
xxx

Cheri said...

I think the light is just right. As you mentioned it says summer.

em's scrapbag said...

I love all your blues. I've been playing with my blue scraps recently and it's been fun.

Gari in AL said...

What fun. I have been trying to pull together my blues to make a sweatshirt jacket but I don't have enought, yet. You are doing quite well with yours.

Dionne said...

Your blocks look great. I love what you are doing with your scraps!
Cheers,
Dionne

scraphappy said...

What fun you are having with your blue scraps. Nine patches are so versatile. The setting makes them all settle together so well.

Jessica said...

Great blue scraps, and blocks! I don't think the light overpowers it too much.

Greenmare said...

I love blues!!! and I have some of those! snowing like crazy here yet and they are saying on TV that i'ts the calm before the real storm???? come on over and visit my blog I'm having a give away!

Magpie Sue said...

It may be too late to put my two cents in but I do think the light "sashes" over power the 9 patch blocks. It may look different in person though, and having more blocks to set together would give you a better reading as well.

I hope you'll be far enough north (and west) to not suffer the worst of the storm coming this week. I'll be holding warm thoughts of you!

Purple Pam said...

Nine patches. I love nine patches. I need to start sewing up my strips, too. I keep cutting them, but I have not been sewing them up fast enough.

I hope you get a working computer soon.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

They look good Finn! Whenever I am out of inspiration I can always count on your blog to lead me right back to scrap quilts! I've been creative this winter, but more towards creative with my business than quilting (sigh), but it is all good and things will come around again. I enjoy your blog, as always! Cheers! Evelyn