Friday, March 08, 2013

Long distance...

Sometimes, it's so far down, everything looks like up. I'm not "down" in the spirit sense...but so far from the "starting line" I can't even see it from here. It's that old saying, "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak", or something like that. Needless to say, no sewing has happened as yet. Friend Betsy has done her best to stir me into action, but, no luck. The days are growing longer, new snow is being delivered with regularity, followed by equally rapid thaw and melt. We are an icy mess after last weekends blizzard. This week we warmed up to the 30's, drip, drip, drip. Another storm is arriving tomorrow, led by rain and then freezing rain! Just what we want and need...not!! Today I worked my way through the dishes, cleaned the bathroom, had a late breakfast with friend Jean, and then sorted and purged stuff from multiple boxes. Sorted by 'pitch, donate or keep'. The Keep stuff has been distributed to its destinations. The pitch stuff is in the trash, and the donate is bagged up to pass along. We have a little "Thrift and Gift" shop a couple of doors down from my front door, doing business out of the old TV and Cable store. As odd as that sounds in a tiny village of just over 700, its doing a very good business. Her prices are very reasonable, all the thrift stuff is donated to her for selling, and the Gifts part includes a jewelery line by a local gal, Leanin' Tree greeting cards and the helium type balloons for parties. You can find anything from a wine glass to an ironing board there. A couple of weeks ago Jean scored a brand new, with tags, never used bright red electric Wok! For $3.50!! It is super convenient to be able to donate anything you wish to upcycle . It's a wonderful service to the community as a whole, especially in this economy.Another plus is that this new shop has a donation bin for food shelf items, and the food bank(which is also quite new in my village, is about 3 doors down from Thrift and Gift. Sorry about no pictures, Blogger isn't loving me today *VBS* Be back soon or sooner, hopefully!

17 comments:

Sara said...

Dear Finn:
Glad to see a note from you and hear about your SORTING. I am going to be in the same business in a few weeks as I will have to winnow my stash way down.

I am losing my sight to wet macular degeneration. The injections worked for about 3.54 years, but now things are going bad. Sewing may be out the window. We are trying a different med. but meanwhile I have lost quite a bit.

My quilting pals have finished my current batch of neonatal quilts for donation this month. I was missing the binding in both directions, too wide, and too narrow.

I'm trying to keep up blogging, but it has to turn to other topics I think. We are going to Glorida for a couple weeks so DH can see some of Spring Training. After that I will see what I CAN STILL DO.

McIrish Annie said...

Finn, you sound down. Winter can sure test a person's resilience but hang in before you know it the daffodils and tulips will be pushing their way thru that snow. Hugs and sunshine to you!

Angie said...

Thrift and gift shops are fun, especially when the prices are reasonable. :) Love Jean's score. Now, woman, it is time for you to pull out some fabric scraps and SEW---I keep looking, and waiting, looking, and waiting... LOL Hugs to you and Ms. Ebby.

Gypsy Quilter said...

It's so good to hear from you! Glad you're making progress on your sorting.

AnnieO said...

Keep moving--I find that is a good way to get blood to my brain and then down to my fingers! Your little town's amenities are growing. It is nice to see the reduce, recycle and reuse vibes are alive and well there!

Melanie said...

Treasures are found in so many places......Lift your spirits--- I've never known Spring not to come. We just have to hang in there....

Pat said...

Are you suffering from a serious case of cabin fever? I know I am here in northwest lower Michigan. We had some sunshine this past week and it saved me.... probably saved my husband, too! Hang on. Spring cannot be far away. In a month crocuses will be blooming!

Julie in the Barn said...

So good to hear from you. Sounds like you need a little kick in the hinnie to get you back into the saddle. Maybe all that sorting will result in a find that inspires you to grab a needle. We've been purging the crowded closets & drawers here in the barn, too. I think it is something we all do to make room for SPRING.

Brenda said...

nice to see you back here. take care, Finn!

Elaine Adair said...

I've missed you, but then I've not been too spry/urged to blog or quilt very much either! You are in good company. Hope you are back in your saddle, whatever saddle it is.

Purple Pam said...

Happy to read a post from you, even though Blogger is not cooperating with pictures. What awful weather you are having. Hopefully spring will hurry along in your area. Keep smiling.

Rose Marie said...

On any given day, I can be found browsing thrift stores and my home can attest to that! Once your purge is done, you can sit back and be satisfied because you will have accomplished something ... and that is a good thing.

Cher said...

so nice to read your post..I have been distracted lately so just now getting around to blog reading...sounds like you are enjoying some spring cleaning! quilting will come...sometimes it is hard to motivate yourself. big hugs my friend

Chris Daly said...

Hi Finn, I just stopped by to see how you are. I hope everything is okay. It sounds like you have a lot of work on your hand. Wishing you creative days ahead! Chris

KaHolly said...

Hopefully you have restored your energies and are on to bigger, better things. You are missed.

Anonymous said...

Missing you. Are you OK?

Hunter

Holly said...

Hi Finn - Missing you. You are one of the few from the good old days that I check in (lurk) on these days. Hope this finds you and Ms Ebby happy and well. Every time I see a brand new box of crayons I think of you. :) Hope life is treating you kindly.