Saturday, November 29, 2014

Something new from something(s)old...

I am in the creative process! You know how you can just let something "be" what it is? Almost forever? Yup, that's me. But the last of my swapped 2.5" squares from the Y2K swaps are finding a home. They are fairly old, right? Well, add some unused 1.5" strips from an abandoned project and you've got Dancing 9 patches. I have made 88 9 patches, using the "one by one method", meaning it was all 2.5" squares to begin with. I had to cut additional lights, but still have printed squares to use up. Should make about a twin size quilt for a grandkid. The blocks finish at 7.5"
And I wanted to share a glimpse of where I sew. On my OLD Pfaff, circa 1994...it used to be new, but no more. It's not getting better with age. I'm having sewing machine envy all day long!!!
Here's a peek at how I press while sewing. Just off my left side, an old GE travel iron I found in a thrift store. It gets wonderfully hot, has just the right point for getting into tiny spots and stands up very nicely. It's a dry only(as is) but I have the box it came in, and a tiny screw on bottle for steam, not sure how that works, there are no holes in the sole plate. I'm guessing the iron is probably circa 1950s.

2 comments:

scraphappy said...

How lovely it must feel to use up all the oldies. So gratifying to find a home for each little bit.

Angie said...

I loved seeing where you sew. :) I like to be able to picture in my mind where my friends are. :) Would you believe that I have an iron exactly like that one that I found in a thrift store also? Love that little thing.