Saturday, July 30, 2005

Divorce Quilt # 2

In The Land of Point...
I love red and white quilts. It probably would make sense, when you are furious and hurting to make the quilt top that openly reflect those emotions. And I did when first confronted with the "this marriage is over" after 37 years. A divorce quilt that was dark and intense.
The dark top got finished and quilted during the two years it took to end the marriage. I didn't get mad, but I did get even, and since WI is a martial property state, it was "pretty darn good". But, oh my, look, the injustice lingers.

And, pushed on by those pin pricks to my ego and self worth, I began this top...the red and white one. What strikes me, now, years later( because I wasn't cerebal at the time) is that the pointy, picky things are the red ones, as I look at this top. You can "see" it as the white points, but I don't. And since red is associated with passion and intensity of feelings, I'd say I subconsciouly got rid of a lot of what was poking at me.

There are two blocks to this pattern, in one the base of the triangles faces right and then the reverse for the other block. In laying it out, I managed to reverse the position of two blocks. You can see one of them in the 2nd red row.
And now you are wondering...did she change those blocks, put them where they belong, restore order to the known world? Well, I'm just gonna leave ya wondering *G* After all, isn't that one of the thing that really stirs our minds in the old quilts????

3 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

It's a beautiful quilt. I have to admit I see it as white, with the red the background. I hope you can look at this quilt and see its beauty, and not just remember the pain you were in while you were making it. Where does the quilt live now?

Finn said...

Thanks Tonya I appreciate your compliment. By the time the quilt was pieced the points had stopped poking me...*G* And since I love red and white quilts,it has continued to live with me. I can walk down the rows, on the white, mentally, and just smile.

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

Great quilt! I never would have noticed the "maverick" piecing if you hadn't pointed it out! I am so partial to red......

Bonnie