Sunday, April 16, 2006

Age. Ages. Aging. No. Lets go back to AGES. It doesn't really even look like a word, taken with no context. As I sit here, in the afternoon of this day, April 16, 2006 I don't wonder about age....I have it. I don't wonder about aging....I understand it. What I wonder about is Ages. And what does that mean? Just what does it apply to in this 21st century? The Age of the Dinosaur, The Ice Age, The Dark Ages,The Age of Enlightenment, The Atomic Age, The Age of Reason, we don't say the Age of Industry because they decided to call that one the Industrial Age. So what the heck is the deal with placing things in Ages?? And what does that mean in 2006. I suppose you could call this The Age of the Speed of Light, because that's about how fast everything is going. Or faster.
I've often wondered if the Age of Enlightenment had a logical ending place, or if it just trailed on, into every age that came after it. I don't feel fully enlightened. And is it possible that anyone is...fully enlightened? Or are we traveling towards full enlightenment. Would we know if we got there? I suppose, since we'd be FULLY enlightened.
What I am led to ponder is a connection between clarity and confusion. And since both are states of being, there must be a connection there. Thinking about a circle...such a lovely thing. With no beginning and no ending. But it does have sides. It is dimentional. An inside to the line, and an outside. A below and an above. In my mind I can see something flat having dimentions. Alright, I am "in" confusion...seeking clarity. Confusion is strong, very strong, and not a desired state of being. Gradually as I move into clarity, I can see what the confusion was, is. I try to avoid going back to the state of confusion. But clarity isn't strong in the way that confusion is. Once I sense the lack of strength, I'm already being pulled back to the confusion.

I wonder if neither state has any substance, other than what I endow it with? And what if we really need a third "c" word here....connection. What if the place to stand with clarity and confusion is on their connection? What if the connection is the stable thing, and also the path? And when you are in doubt, you look for the connection.
And, as the connection becomes the path, is it also the line that is the circle? And the form of the circle is the connection between confusion and clarity? For a line is only a line until it connects to itself. Once connected, as in a circle, it has a within and a without. And as I move through this "ages" thing I am trying to understand, I can see that much has been resolved over the eons, by "calling the circle", as tribes meet to decide things. Kings have their Round Tables,and in a circle each is equal distance from the center. I think maybe that is a good place to be...the same distance from the center as everyone else. And if you find me to be confused about "ages", don't get me started on "time" *VBS*

8 comments:

ForestJane said...

Hiya Finn!

You said:

Thinking about a circle...such a lovely thing. With no beginning and no ending. But it does have sides.

You made me think of my favorite circle quote:

He drew a circle that shut me out Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout. But love and I had the wit to win; We drew a circle that took him in.
Edwin Markham

This comment, of course, being posted by someone who's outside all the blog rings, looking in... lol

And geesh, you've also made me think of that old Harry Chapin song:

All my life's a circle, sunrise and sundown
The moon rolls through the night time
Till the day break comes around
All my life's a circle, but I can't tell you why
The seasons spinning round again
The years keep rolling by.

There's more, if you don't know it, google it. :) I especially like the ending.

Jane

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

What have you been smoking Finn? *LOL*

Two weeks ago I dreamt of a circle and its meaning to me...and when I woke up I thought I had all the answers...
But today I am back to pondering again and I like your 3rd C...that makes a whole lotta sense.

Patty said...

Enlightenment is a goal, something we seek, but few of us ever achieve and full enlightenment is never recognized by those attaining it as humility is attained long before enlightenment. Humility would stop us from claiming to be fully enlightened.
As for "ages"...people seem to want to put things neatly in slots. We categorize and organize. Maybe like having neat stashes. To exist in the moment is so much better. No lables, just being. As the moment never existed before and never will again. Accepting it for what it is as it is. No name.
Good post dear friend ! I so would love to sip tea and talk with you for many hours.

Melzie said...

LOL Finn, when ya figure it out, lemme know! Happy Easter and I love the postcard! xoxo melzie

Quiltgranny said...

Heavy thoughts, dude!

Now go to this website:

http://www.jcu.edu/math/vignettes/Mobius.htm

and you can enter into a state of confusion and stay there for a while if you wish. I am always fascinated with a Mobius band - a circle/cylinder has two sides, but the Mobius circle only has one. And I think the Mobius band is much more appropos to going from clairy to confusion and back again all on the same "width". Something more to think about, eh?

And ages, smages! I'll worry about that one tomorrow LOL!

ForestJane said...

Found it, the one you e-mailed about. :) It's by Joni Mitchell, The Circle Game, and it goes, in part:

Yesterday, a child came out to wander,
Caught a dragonfly inside a jar.
Fearful when the sky was full of thunder,
And tearful at the falling of a star.

And the seasons they go 'round and 'round,
And the painted ponies go up and down.
We're captive on the carousel of time.
We can't return we can only look, behind
From where we came,
And go round and round and round
In the circle game.

Thanks for reminding me of that one! I'm a folk music lover, a throwback to the Peter, Paul, & Mary days... lol

Susan Tidwell said...

you have me all confused now! Let us know if you figure this all out. Hope you had a great weekend.

Cher said...

great post Finn- akin to never being able to dip your toe in the same water of a river...we only get each moment once...