Sunday, April 16, 2006


The sunshine of yesterday is gone, leaving us with gusting winds, and chilly temperatures on this Easter Sunday in WI. This is one of my vintage penny postcards. The date on this one is April 2, 1912 and was sent to a Mr. Archie Cole, in St. Paul, MN. What strikes me as interesting on most of these old postcards, is that they were written in pencil. Using a pencil, except to draw, is almost a thing of the past. I can remember what it was a thrill to get a shiny new pencil to work with in school. The freshly sharpened point, the smell of the fresh wood shaving as the sharpener did it's work. That dandy red eraser, insuring that you could change your mind. And so many promotional pencils were given at political rallies and by shoe stores, etc. Buy an item, get a pencil. Like this postcard, mostly memories now. Can't remember the last time I ws given a pencil at the fairs, or anywhere else. Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Peggy said...

Have a wonderful Easter Finn! I am enjoying a nice quiet one with just me and animals

Judy said...

I used to have a job that required using a pencil and we collected all sorts of "give-away" pencils. I must have 65 or 70 of them in a drawer... and I never use them anymore. I use cheap mechanical ones for quilting.
Happy Easter!

Hunter said...

My favorite thing is a new box of crayons. I love the smell and seeing all the colors waiting there with sharp points. That reminds me, I'm about due for a new box. LOL.

Hugs.
Darilyn

dot said...

Finn, I just love these old cards. They have such a charm to them that is missing today. Happy Easter to you.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Finn...I like your vintage post card and Happy Easter to you.
I was given a pencil just last week, by my darling daughter Suzanne...This pencil has a red eraser at EACH end and printed in the center of the pencil are these words:

Life Without Jesus Christ
Is Like This Pencil...
NO POINT TO IT!

Darcie said...

I even remember when receiving a pen/pencil set was quite a gift! Now, my kids look at me like I'm nuts (well, they do have a *point*...'scuze the pun!) if I suggest a nice set for someone that's difficult to buy for.

Love the darling little postcard. Do you purchase them at antique shops? Even the postcards today that mimic yester year are not quite the same as the real thing.

My friend, get ready for some real wind tomorrow. Today, it's gale force here in ND!