Thursday, June 29, 2006

Crackers anyone?? I was so thrilled to see a Cracker quilt top on Linda J's blog Tuesday...*VBS* I'm very easily pleased..LOL. This very simple old pattern doesn't get much press these days. I have loved it all the way back to my beginnings. To me it seems equally suited to planned or scraps. It would be a great small 4th of July quilt...or just the border. It can be made with any size strips. After what seemed like a ton of log cabin quilts from the Aunt Gracies, I remembered this one. I'm working with 1.5" strips and my blocks finish at 4.5". Of course it will take quite a few of them to make a quilt top...but it's a great little "pick at" project.
Most of yesterdays sewing was of more stars for the quilt for Little Sam. His birthday was in May and his quilt still isn't done...so much for monthly goal setting. For me goals are not a reality..not yet anyway..more like a suggestion of what I "should" be doing. I've finished 5 or 6 tops in June, and gotten borders on 3, but not one stitch has gone into the Country Roads UFO...guess I'll list it again for July....LOL.

15 comments:

quiltpixie said...

Those prints you've used are sooo cute. I really like the green with the black and white dog...

Anonymous said...

Hi, Finn !

I really like your "crackers", as well as all your other scrap blocks. Thanks for the wonderful ideas your propose on your blog, you're an inspiration for all of us !
NOw for your "crackers", what are your measures for the 4 triangles (or the two squares to cut diagonally) ?...Thanks for your kind help, Finn !

NADINE (www.sewingnana.blogspot.com = Friendship Threads)

Judy said...

Never seen that block before and never heard of it either...but what a simple and easy block!! Great, like you said, for a planned or scrap quilt.

I still have plenty of the 30's prints left too, and this might be a great pattern for them to get used up eventually!

Unknown said...

Ooh, I like it. I love simple blocks like this. They always present lots of potential for graphic impact.

Melanie said...

Sounds like you're having fun. I like your attitude on goals. So many times I set Too many and end up nothing but defeated...
Love the colors in today's pictures.

Melanie
P.S. Went to Green Bay yesterday...

ForestJane said...

Nice colors Finn!

You make the best scrappy stuff. :)

Linda C said...

More fun to work on what you want to rather than what you "have" to.

Crackers is going to be a fun quilt! Glad Antoinette made her version that I could share and trigger that idea.

dot said...

Looking good Finn, you will be busy sewing with that size block. Keeps one out of trouble I suppose.

Patty said...

I like that pattern Finn, and works great with those fabrics.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh that is a fun block. I never think about that one either - what a great one for stash busting! Oooo or charity quilts AND stash busting!

Darcie said...

The Crackers are darling, Finn. And I've never even thought of them for a border treatment...great idea!

Susan Tidwell said...

Want some cheese with your crackers? Looks easy enough, maybe I will try it someday...

Hope you have a great holiday weekend!

Joyce said...

Another great idea for scraps! Thanks.

Holly said...

I have a cracker quilt in progress - a UFO for many years. Now I wish I had started it in 30's repros cuz yours looks great.

Maggie Ann said...

Oh I love those pastel prints together! And have I ever told you I love your writing style? Its like hearing you talk in person I think. I wish I was more 'into' quilting so I'd have more in common with you but alas...I've already stretched myself thin in so many pursuits...*vvbs*.