Friday, June 30, 2006



Snap, crackle, pop...it's a cracker ! I read somewhere that this block was called that because it resembles the small table favors used at Christmas in England. I've seen them in one or two movies. Brightly wrapped tubes filled with fun goodies for children(I think) and when pulled open, they "pop". If I've got that wrong Anne B. or Fiona, please correct me...*VBS* I had to post one more from my "over the years" collection. Looking at the cracker block the way shown above(?-who knows with Blogger where it will be), this would make a neat signature(or album)block. And if two tri's were the same color and two light, you'd get a neat "chain" affect. I know I've seen that in some book or another. One block blue, one red, one green, etc...chaining across the quilt. Then if you turned the next row, would the chain run the other way?? Will have to try that and see.

7 comments:

Judy said...

Okay, now I see the "cracker" in the block. I originally saw a rail fence put within a "square in a square" block. I like the idea of keeping 2 triangles in colors and 2 triangles a pale background color and having them go in chains across the quilt.

HUMMM...might be something to do up in EQ?

Katie said...

Neat block. I'm not sure if it would be better to do this or just make two blocks. Really like it for signature quilt.

The Calico Cat said...

cute - I have thought and thought about making a cracker quilt forever! (this style...)

Cher said...

another great block with a lot of possible color combinations! nice Finn

Fiona said...

You are quite right about the crackers - didn't realise that you don't have them in the States. Would be interesting to do a quilt in Christmas colours in this pattern too.

MARCIE said...

I am sorry if I sound dense, but is this block supposed to be like a "fire cracker"? Is that it? I will have to work it up on EQ. It really is darling!

Joyce said...

I am amazed at how the block changes as the dark and light colors are changed. You could get some really neat pattrens with this block. I may just have to try it.