Tuesday, June 20, 2006


This is a little piece of needlework that I found in a bag of scraps I bought. I've had it for several years tucked into my orphan blocks(vintage). I got to thinking lately about needlepunch, and wondered if this might not be that. Soooo, I dug it out. But what I found is that it isn't needlepunch, but embroidery. Not like any I've seen tho. I took close ups of both the front and back, and as soon as the batteries charge I'll snap a pic of what I think the stitcher used to make this neat piece. It's obviously "cut away from" some bigger piece, and I'm pretty sure it's been used quite abit...the red was no doubt brighter back when it was done. I'm guessing maybe 1940's??? Anybody have an idea?? Posted by Picasa Anne B. just left a comment saying it looked like it was done in chain stitch, so I checked closer. It's hard to tell(the piece looks like it has been ironed..frequently..the stitches lay very flat) and yes ! *VBS*, indeed, it IS chain stitching...all of it !!! It's so neat on the lasso, the stitches follow the curve perfectly. Thanks Anne!!

8 comments:

Marsha Loftis said...

This is a really nice piece!!! About 10 years ago I rescued a dozen quilt blocks my mother-in-law was going to throw away...they made a beautiful lap quilt. :)

Unknown said...

It's hard to tell from the photo butit looks like it's done in lines of chain stitch - very pretty - what will you do with it Finn?

Linda C said...

what an interesting find! Can you imagine filling all that space in the motif with chain stitches? It is all I can do to get one block of redwork done lately and that is just plain stem stitching.

Take a look at my blog when you get a chance--bowtie top is done.

Katie said...

Really neat. I love old rescues. Waiting to see how you recycle this.

Judy said...

There is a very old machine, not Singer, that does nothing but make a chain stitch...one ball of thread, and you sew in a straight line or I guess you could go in curves. It gets sewn from the back and the chain ends up on the bottom. I bet it was done with a machine like that!

It look machine done, not hand...too perfect for hand.

Lily Mulholland said...

Phew Judy!!! That explains how absolutely perfect the stitching is.

A machine just for chain stitching. Can't imagine it these days!

Tonya Ricucci said...

marvelous. the color still looks pretty good all things considered.

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh, that's darling, so unusual. It would be cute framed.