Wednesday, June 14, 2006


This snowball is one of TWO quilts that I have made in my lifetime with only 2 colors. I like 2 color quilts, but I get so bored working with such a limited spectrum. I had seen the black fabric, with butterflies and flowers at a local Ben Franklin, and knew I wanted a snowball quilt made from that fabric. I am definitely a product of the 1950's. Pink and black were very HOT way back then...LOL. And while I never had(nor wanted) a pink and black Crown Victoria convertible, I do like pink and black together. This was pieced and quilted back in the area of 1984-86. I hand quilted everything back then. It's a crib size, 6.5" blocks, the triangles were all template cut, as were the snowballs. Not sure about the 9 patches. This quilt has never seen a day of use, found a home, or any other happy ending. It really hit me hard today, when I pulled it out of the linen closet. It's at least 20 years old and has never been washed nor served any purpose. I find that very sad. The passage of time is such a slippery slope. Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Jeanne said...

... ahh, "slippery slope." That's going to be my meditation topic for today. Maybe between us we'll discover what it all means one of these days ...
Hugs ~ Jeanne

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh that is sad. But you know - Pink and Black is making a come back - this may be the time to find it a home!

Judy said...

Yes, indeed...pink and black are very hip today. Pull that baby out and use it, or donate it to a good cause. That's if you don't want to keep it in the closet anymore.

Linda C said...

pretty but not near as pretty as the quilts you make today, IMHO. I visited two of them up close today when I pinned them. A child could almost do a "matching game" with them--find the other hershey candies piece, LOL.

The passage of time: my DJ HAD a pink and white Crown Vic way back when. He bought it used as the young man who was previous owner passed away when the car was about a year old. His parents sold it to DJ. He has model of one on his dresser and a pic of one on the wall BUT there is a guy who has a large building near the walking trail that owns one. We saw it sitting out on the drive and HAD to go look at up close.

Me? My dream car would be an T-bird with a porthole window if you are talking old.

Unknown said...

I do like snowball quilts and the black fabric is so pretty Finn - it is a little sad when things get put to the back of a cupboard and forgotten about - I'm sure any little girl or not so little for that matter would love it if it's taking up too much space

Joyce said...

It's never too late to be useful.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Cucoo may have to borrow that quilt for his hut...You know how he loves butterflies? *S*

dot said...

What a great quilt. Thanks for sharing and I know of a good home. Do you want my address?

Bonnie said...

Pink and black is definitely "Retro", which makes your old quilt very hip right now. I can see it in a Rec Room with old 78 records plastered on the walls.

Lois R. said...

The pink and black is gorgeous. I vote for getting it out and using it!

Tonya Ricucci said...

Pink and black convertible sounds fun - wheee. Keep that quilt out and start using it, Finn.

sewprimitive karen said...

Snowball quilts are super, also two-color quilts. It would take a lot of discipline to settle down and make a quilt that has just two colors.

Susan Tidwell said...

never been washed nor served any purpose

Ah, to serve a purpose, isn't that the goal we all aspire to? To have made a difference, be remembered for doing some good.

Unlike your quilt, Finn, I think you have already accomplished this goal in your life!

Fiona said...

But it has served a purpose - we get to see your work - if it had been used that might not have been the case. To quote Milton 'They also serve who only stand and wait'. Maybe now it'll find another home and another purpose.

YankeeQuilter said...

I remember having pink wallpaper with black poodles on it growing up...your quilt would have looked perfect in that room! Maybe that quilt is just waiting for the perfect moment to shine.,,,like bringing back fond memories.

Siobhan