Sunday, July 09, 2006

Finn goes hi-tech???







Maybe not...S* But I am happy to say that by machine quilting a part of this, it's done except for the hand sewing of the binding. It was a quilt that started out with a plan. Machine quilt, be done quickly. Ya.....right! It only took two pinwheels to convince me that it was way too much turning, and turning. So I stuck it in a hoop and utility quilted around each pinwheel and then around the edge of the yellow square. It's also the first time I've combined basting and pinning. Betsy wasn't convined so she basted her end, and I pinned mine. Both worked fine. So the pinwheels are done. Now what? I decided to stick a perle cotton "tie" in each center for more stability. And began quilting circles in the green squares..dumb! I plucked it out, and decided I could do a straight line through the green squares on the sewing machine and be done!! I tried one without drawing a line, but went back and picked that out and did them with a chalk line.
Nothing about this strange guilt gets any easier. I made a label(trying the new triangle in the corner method, and then proceeded to being sewing the binding along the edge... THE BACK EDGE...didn't dawn on me til I was about a quarter of the way around that I don't sew binding on the back. I am suppose to sew binding on the FRONT. Thought about picking out the seam, decided, "what the heck?". So now it's all sewn and I'll hand stitch it down. I always do that part by hand. And then I'm going to try and forget all about this quilt!!!!! Hope all of your heads are working better than mine today *VBS*

17 comments:

Barbara C said...

I recently tried an all-machine binding method where you sew the binding to the quilt from the back. First you trim the quilt to size, and then sew the binding to the back, raw edge even with the quilt edge. Then you turn the folded edge to the front and top stitch it down. It comes out perfectly and its great for utility quilts. Perhaps you were about to "unvent" this method.

Cher said...

that method that barbara describes has worked for me..I like it for charity quilts, though I am not as neat as others at doing it. At any rate-hurray for finishing this quilt by your unique approach Finn!

Nancy said...

Don't you just hate it when things don't go as planned? I would have probably chucked it in a corner after the first problem. Good for you in sticking it out and finishing. This quilt might have given you fits in the making but it turned out very nice in the end.

Laurie said...

You have been busy Finn!!! Great job!!! Be proud of yourself!
Hugs
Laurie

Linda C said...

Hey, you trying. And you can sew the binding on "backwards"-- nice with a finishing stitch on the front that way as Barbara said.

I'm like Cher and not as proficient at it but it is good for a quilt that is going take a lot of wear.

I like that pinwheel pattern.

Patti said...

Oh dear - some days are just like that aren't they! We'll hear your sigh of relieve clear out here when this one is done.

dot said...

Finn, another great quilt. It doesn't matter how we get there we just get there. I like the quilt. You did a great job on the machine. DOn't give up--it will come. You certainly have been busy.

Joyce said...

I did the exact same thing with my last quilt. I started sewing the front down by hand but then went back and ripped out the hand sewing and the machine sewing and re-did it. Probably not worth the effort but I did it anyway.

Melanie said...

So you have conquered this quilt, what's the game plan for it? Too cute too much work to place in a closet...
Melanie

quiltpixie said...

there are days that the best laid plans of mice and quilters go astray... :-) hang in there it'll be done soon.

Tazzie said...

Good on you for making the quilting work for you. Sometimes when things don't go right for me, I stuff them away where I can't see them for a while ... and that is not a good plan. I love the green fabric, it's really a zinger!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

ForestJane said...

You need to throw a cat or something on the quilt so we can get some idea of size.

I too like the pinwheel pattern. :)

Darcie said...

Oh poor Finn! Mama said there'd be days like this!!! I've had a few of those too.

But all of your woes paid off...your quilt is terrific! Gosh...LOVE that green polka dot. What a treasure!

Vicky said...

Those polka dots sing to me! It turned out great, Finn, even though it fought you the whole way! Good finish!

Hugs
Vicky

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Things can only get better.
And look how pretty it turned out! *S*

Judy said...

You know I will admit that the last quilt I binded I did the same thing!! I was sewing along down the first side when I realized that I was sewing to the back! DARN!! Ripping takes so long!

I poped on last night and then didn't have the energy to comment, but for all the struggles you had, it's a fun bright happy quilt!I love it!!

Lily Mulholland said...

Ho ho Freud would be loving that you typed 'strange guilt' instead of 'strange quilt'. Tee hee.

Some projects just don't go the way you planned do they. Ah well, the maverick in you found a solution!