Tuesday, July 04, 2006


Happy Freedom Anniversary to us here in the USA. Today is the real deal, but the celebrating and fireworks aren't confined to one day anymore. I remember reading in one of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books about a 4th of July celebration when Laura and Carrie walked to town with Pa, in DeSmet, and had pink lemonade for the first time, and watched horse races. The Declaration of Independance was read or recited and at that time people were only a hundred years past the event. We seem to have lost the reverance that democracy once held for Americans. This is my one and only real attempt at a July 4th quilt. The snowball and 9 patches are 3" finished. It was made in the early 1990s but since I wasn't documenting or labeling back then, I don't know for sure. It seems dull and ultra simple in todays world, but then I probably fit that description also...LOL At least I got my flags centered and my stars and stripes only wobble a little bit. The quilt stops with the dark red binding, it's pinned to another quilt in the hallway for the picture.That is the bit of color you see at the sides. Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Linda C said...

I never read the "Little House on the Prairie" books or watched the TV series but lately, I have been catching it on Hallmark in the afternoons while I quilt. (that and Homicide: life on the streets on Sleuth--wonder what that says about me) I would love to go back and read the books to see how it really was. I wonder about the electric saws they seem to be using at the mill and did they have those telephones in the late 1800's in rural MN? I know you are a fan since you have referred to it several times in your blog.

quiltpixie said...

Its odd to think how thin memories get huh.... and the real meaning of the day gets lost for many in the celebrations that grew up around the real meaning... From things I've read on various blogs though, I'd say a number of americans have a sense of the "real meaning" and maybe it was always that...

Helen in the UK said...

I really like your patriotic quilt. Love the way you've centred the flags within the snowballs - makes it look really special :)

Simonetta said...

Beautifulllllll!!!!! Simple in the form but great the result! Good really :)))

Sweet P said...

I love your quilt. It show your patriotism in a great way. I'm a big fan of the Little House books, but it's been a while since I've read them - having 3 boys and no girls didn't allow me to share them with the next generation, perhaps I'll be able to do that with grandchildren someday. Anyway, thanks for the memories of those books and the show.

dot said...

Finn, thanks for the great post. I really liked the Little House books and series. I do believe we have lost the meaning of the 4th. I pray we will remember before it is to late and many of our freedoms are lost along the way. I like your snowball quilt. Does patriotic fabric ever go out of style? I hope not. Happy 4th.

Lily Mulholland said...

Ahem! Dull and simple? Finn you are a shocker!!

3" finished is small indeedy. Very fine work.

Happy independence day! (again)

Vicky said...

This is a beautiful quilt! No matter when you made it, it is classic!

I hope your day was relaxing and fun! Happy 4th!

((HUGS))
Vicky