Thursday, July 06, 2006

The Other Chicken









No, it's not a love triangle..*G* It's just the second of two chicken blocks I did "way back when". Definitely NOT this decade. Matilda McCluck flew off to NC last week to begin a new life in a memory quilt. That left poor Regina Red Feather alone in the hen house. I felt she deserved better, after all these years, so I gave her legs to run, a beak to catch bugs with, and a beady little black eye to see 'em with. She turned into a fierce "watch out bugs" chicken right before my eyes.
She was firmly appliqed down, with the old tried and true applique method, but I felt some buttonholing would add to her status. She agrees with me. She's ONE PROUD CHICKEN now..*VBS*. She announced to me, as soon as she had a beak, that she has a destination in mind, and I'd better "git crackin' " as she didn't want to miss good tail winds from the west!
I told her the 4th of July holiday wasn't a good time to be up in the air, flying. Lots of strange things whizzing through the flight path. Of course she thinks she knows better. So I had to tie a string to one of her newly embroidered legs and then to a tree to keep her from becoming part of a sky rocket. I've never seen such anger in a chicken unless it was an old "wet hen". I'll let her fly away soon, but have decided to make her a parashute, just in case.

8 comments:

Katie said...

What a story! Do I see a children's book coming soon?

Laura said...

Lovin' this! We want to hear more!

Judy said...

Animals...darn things have minds of their own! She's cute, but sassy!

Thanks for the compliments on my newest block finished. I am whizzing right along, but being a lady of
leisure means I get to make my own schedule. HA!! I bet you could do some needleturn. Go see what Tonya said about her method. Laura explained that to me eairlier when I asked about one of her pieces. You still turn under the `1/4" seam but you make a nice running stitch on TOP. That I know you can still see to do in small doses.

I need help these days too. I had to take my sewing into the eye doc the last time to make him understand that I needed super peeper bi-focals to see the stitching up close. He was thinking reading...down towards your lap, and I do handwork held up at chest level. So he just knocked me up a notch of bigger magnification and I was all set!
Hey you know they make these magnifying things that hang over your neck and it rests on your chest and you sew right under the glass and you can see ALL! You might try one of those!

Linda C said...

sounds like you are having a little fun today---like the teapots!

quiltpixie said...

what a wonderful bird...

ForestJane said...

Funny Finn!

I think she needs a pearl necklace around her neck too... :P

Cher said...

love this chicken block Finn and the story is wonderful...wonder where he will fly to??

Tracey said...

Matilda is just too cute!! She reminds me of my hens out back. They sure can have lots to say sometimes, can't they? ;o)