Sunday, July 30, 2006









A Place of Words....this is the library in my home town. It's the one I spoke of in my post a few days ago, the place I read the Flicka, Ricka and Dicka books as a child. It's where I found Black Beauty, and My Friend Flicka, The Little House books, The Boxcar Children and so many more. Eventually I was grown up enough to become an "upstairs" patron. I had the ambitious plans of beginning with the first A book and reading ALL the books in the library. Some pretty tough reading there already in the A's. The end of summer found me just barely past the beginnings of the B's.
I abandoned that plan...*VBS*, having found the S's and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith.It was an instant favorite, and I went on to all her books, as I found them. I found Mary Steward mysteries and intrigue, and books by Catherine Cookson...so much delicious reading material, so little time.
The next year, I was in jr. high, and the school was just behind the library...very convenient. I became a junior librarian, and was thrilled to be helping. Due to the size and age of our school building, the jr. high held 7th, 8th, and 9th grades. You don't find that much anymore. Generally the 9th us up in the high school, but our old high school was too small to hold all four classes. So, along with all the nonsense of switching classes every hour, and the raging hormones of 12+ to 15 years old, it was the first mixing of the kids from the schools in town with the kids coming in from the country schools.
I'm not sure about other states or countries, but in the midwest there were many country schools that had their students from 1st through 6th grade. Then they got bused into town. Quite the blending process. By 6th grade you were well acquainted with ALL the 25 or so kids in your classroom. Suddently you were in a "section"(for me 7-4) one of four sections of 7th grade. The 4 sections totaled 155 students, that would be graduating 6 years later in 1958. IF we all made through those last 6 years.
It was quite an eye opening experience. No surprise that my old friend, our Carniegie Library was where you could find me, when ever I could manage it. You could get there by city bus, on your bicycle or even walking if you wanted to. It was quite a ways from where I lived, across the river on the south side of town.
One of our new bloggers, Libby, over at http://simplylibby.blogspot.com/ and I met when she emailed me. She had grown up with a Carniegie Library in her town and thought all town had them. We exchanged several emails and pictures of her library and mine. It was so nice when she decided to join us here in blogland, as she's a quilter and dog lover, like so many of us..*VBS* If you get a chance, pop over and see the neat observations and quilts she has to share. She's out there in CA with Jeanne and Vicky, and more, that I'm not remembering tonight..*S*

I decided to post once more today, thinking mostly that I wanted to say that our 10 p.m. temp. is still at 91 degrees with 70+ percent humidity. Looks like tomorrow will hit the 100 for sure. Quite unusal for us to have such a prolonged heat wave. I think they said 19 days and counting of temps over 90. We would normally only get 14 in the whole summer season. I'm not complaining, but it sure is an odd summer. I'm quite comfortable in my little house, I have central air, and a ceiling fan. And two floor fans that move air around. I keep the house closed up, and I breathe ok as long as I don't go outside.
Even with the moving efforts yesterday, there were guys to do the carrying. Steph provided the truck and I supplied most of the furniture and directions to the house. Pretty easy piece. My two oldest kids are quite protective of my health and well being. If I behave they don't hollar at me too much...*G* Hope you are all well tonight, someplace cool, behaving yourself and not getting yelled at...LOL

12 comments:

quiltpixie said...

I too grew up at the public library. My mother was a verocious reader so we went every two weeks without fail. She encouraged me to read whatever I wanted -- nothing was ever "too hard" or "too adult" -- probably why I still read almost a book a week :-) My son has caught the bug too, and reads for pleasure as well as for school/information. There are so many books in my personal library that I store them in piles on the floor of every room as the bookcases are just too crammed.

Hanne said...

Black Beauty and My Friend Flicka + the 2 other books is the Flicka serie was in my books shelf. The three books were bright pink, bright green and white. I read them many times. I have been reading as long as I can remember and love libraries and book stores. I don't buy much, but I love the smell of books :-)

Quilts And Pieces said...

Yes I've read a lot of the same children's books. But as you got older you read a LOT, I kind of dropped reading. I"m back doing it but no where near the amount you ever did!

McIrish Annie said...

I lived at the library and like you, couldn't wait to "graduate" to the adult section. Our librarian actually let me go over a year earlier as I had basically read every young adult book on the shelves. My dad was a reader. Although he never finished high school, he always had his nose in a book. Unfortunately, my DS did not get the "reader" gene much to my dismay though he seems to be a little more interested lately. I am now reading "like a watered garden" that Bonnie at Quiltville recommended. It is fabulous!! A good summer read.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

My first hubby graduated from H.S. in 1957 and went to the same school grades 1-12,
My second hubby did the same thing but graduated in 1955 and,
My son went to the same school grades 2-12 and graduated in about 1981??

The city school here starts with kindergarten and goes all the way to grade 12 and even offers some college courses across the street. The kids really do establish a life long friendship by the time they graduate.

The county schools are
K-5th grade, 6-8th middle school and then off to H.S. Just like in most communities.

It is also very hot here with a heat advisory for pets & outdoor animals. I must say it hasn't hurt the mosquito population in the least. *LOL* My scent in the summer months is OFF and the kids have always ribbed me about it...thank goodness Off has come up with a citris scent.

I hope your doctors appointment takes care of whatever ails you.
Take care,
Sandy :)

Patti said...

Your post brought back such memories! Though I didn't grow up near the public library - it was too far away for a stay-at-home mother without a car - we had a bookmobile that stopped right at our corner every other week. It came right about the time we got home from school. It seemed a most wonderful thing to us, and we took full advantage of it. There was a limit on how many books we could take, but the librarians soon realized they needed to let us go over the limit. I always left with a huge armload of books. I was sad they didn't have Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Bobbsey Twins, or Happy Hollisters - the books I spent my meager allowance on - but they had lots of others. I read my way through their "classics" section by the time I finished 7th grade. Les Miserables was my favorite. I think I read everything it carried that was of any interest to me - always fiction. Those books took me to wonderful places!

I'm not familiar with Flicka, Ricka, and Dicka, but read all the others you mentioned. Mary Stewart opened a whole wonderful new genre for me - I read the Moon Spinners when first when it was exerpted in Good Housekeeping or Ladies Home Journal. Then Phyllis Whitney, Phillipa Carr, Victoria Holt (the last two being the same person), then Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer. Found Catherine Cookson through Good Housekeeping also - I have collected every single one of her books but haven't had a chance to read them all.

I too went to "junior high", which contained grades 7, 8, and 9. That's what all the schools in Seattle were like when I was in school. Middle schools and 4-year high schools came back after I graduated.

More things we have in common!

Tonya Ricucci said...

We used to go the library almost every Sunday and I always got to check out 10 books. I hate living far away from a good library - I'll do a lot of catching up while I'm in the states this fall.

Wow, that is hoooot there. I was whining yesterday because it was sooo humid. 43% with 95 degree temps. I think you "win" tho.

Judy said...

I didn't get to visit the library alot when we grew up. I couldn't even tell you where it was. At 10 we moved and of course the library here was close, but still a car ride away and with 6 kids, mom wasn't driving every day.

I'm a much better reader now, although I've lost it a bit since the quilting bug hit. I seem to want sewing in my hands at all times and I can't sew and read. It's somehing I need to get back to atleast a few times a week. The mysteries are calling me! I do listen to Harry Potter on cd while I sew alot.

Libby said...

Oh Finn -- I think we might have led parallel childhoods. I, too, tried to read through the library starting with the A's. I don't remember which selection defeated me, but I never got out of the A's. Maybe it wasn't the book, but that new, modern, sterile building they opened to replace my beloved Carnegie. I count A Tree Grows In Brooklyn among my favorites and have read it several times along with other Betty Smith books.
A big THANK YOU for sending everyone over to visit me. I am enjoying blogging so very much. Here's to new friends everywhere :-)

Eileen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Eileen said...

Until I was 12, the library was always within walking distance. Then we moved to the outskirts of White Plains, NY and I walked there from school and caught the bus home. The librarian "sent" me upstairs when she got tired of telling me that each book I asked for was upstairs.
Mary Stewart, Victoria Holt, Georgette Heyer, Phyllis Whitney....I could just keep going. They accompanied me all through HS.
I went to parochial schools all the way through. Elementary was grades 1-8, with HS 9-12.
Very few kids have the reading bug today. What a shame.

Unknown said...

When I was a kid the library was above a storefront, up a creaky wooden staircase...I'm watching an e-bay listing for my first favorite book; a Little Golden Book (not telling the title, or somebody might snatch it up, ha-ha!)