Monday, July 10, 2006


This is the first Gwen Marston book I owned. It was published in 1990. In the introduction, Gwen says that she and Joe began making litle quilts in 1988. Minatures were growing more popular then, and wall quilts were coming into their own, as valid "quilts". Of course the critics said that wall quilts weren't quilts unless the wall was feeling cold. Silly them!! At the time this was sold, the cost was $ 3.95. Can't remember if it came at a reduced price or not, I ordered it from Dover Publishing. I'm not sure if they still handle Gwen's books or not. I think this one is out of publication now. I liked it enough to go back and buy 4 more of her "Twenty Litte" books. I also have Twenty Little Amish, Twenty Little 4 patches, Twenty Log Cabins, and Twenty Little Pinwheels. I believe there is also a Twenty Little 9 Patches, but don't remember for sure. There one of the five that I don't think is worth buying. If you need to know which one, ask me in Email,....and it's just my opinion as to why you shouldn't pay the new, higher price. Posted by Picasa
Note to Forest Jane: the pinwheel blocks in yesterdays post finish at 8", and are in Marsha Mc Closky's book "100 patterns for 8" blocks". These were left overs from a quilt for one of my grandsons.

8 comments:

Judy said...

When you go the Barnes and Noble online the list all of her books and all these guys are there. I just never paid attention to whether or not they still had any of them. Don't remember. Thanks for the pic though, it's fun to see them up close and personal! *BS*

Juliann in WA said...

I think I used to have this book. Unfortunately ina frenzy of purging, I got rid of books I thought I would never use. I might have to check and see if our library still has it on hand.

Joyce said...

Gwen Marsdon's books all seem to be great. Not that I need any more quilting books. Want? THat's a different story.

quiltpixie said...

great book. Is it where the dutchman block came from?

Patti said...

I have this book! I don't remember if I have any of the others or not. I went through a phase of making miniatures and little quilts, and I still love them. One of these days I'll make more!

Tonya Ricucci said...

I looked at Gwen's site and this book is still available for $9. Price has gone up, but it's still a deal. Gotta love the prices on Dover books. Enjoy your handpiecing!

Cher said...

what a fun hand piecing project Finn...and great books to enjoy - though I am not tempted to play with templates now.

Quilts And Pieces said...

You know, I think I have this book, but that was before I knew Gwen's other work so I haven't looked at it in a long time. I think I picked it up for $1 at a garage sale. Hmmm, I need to go home and see if I really do have it!