Saturday, August 05, 2006


Found it! At last..the picture of DGS#3 with his new quilt. The guy next to him is my DS#2, his dad. I love two color quilts,but I'm not fond of making them. This one seemed to be destined. With construction vehicles on that bright green and a soft yellow, I chose a variation on a double 4 patch. Pic was taken in my old one bedroom apt, 2004. I have no plans for leftover blocks.

Judy asked about my little house. So went and found this picture from last summer. Good thing too, because that's where the quilt picture was..*S* They are small side by side town houses Judy. The garages connect and the common wall is the laundry room. They are built 4 square, with two old ladies living on the back side of mine and my neighbor Lucille. Mine is a two bedroom, and the window you see to the right, is the one where I saw the hummingbird this morning. I really like this place. Everything is done to maintain it, snow shoveling, grass,etc. And everything is on one level, with the laundry room(your own furnace and water heater, washer and dryer already provided) that walks out level with the garage. No steps...period! And that works fine for me. Back in 1997 when these Cottages opened, and that's what they are called The Cottages of Spring Valley, everything out here was farm fields.
Now we are a small but growing sub-division. The 16 cottages stay the same, but all around us are new twin homes, both for sale and for rent. The village has extended the village limits out far enough that we are consided "village" and have their water, sewer and plowing services. I looked at one of the twin homes to buy, but 3 bedrooms, split level and $2000. a year in taxes back in 2002, was more than I was willing to take on. All of the twin home have double car garages, while we just have single, but that works fine. I hope I can stay here for the long term. Moving is a real pain, and I've moved twice since 2000. Out of my house, after selling it, and then out of the single bedroom senior apartment. I'd like to stay put!!!!

13 comments:

Eileen said...

They look so comfy cozy wrapped in that quilt.
Your house sounds like it's just the right size so you don't have to spend all your time taking care of it.

Libby said...

How cozy to be wrapped in Grandma's love *s* They look pleased as can be. Your place sounds just right. We, too, live in a single story with washer/dryer inside. When we purchased, it was what we could afford. Not one square foot more. Now we realize it really is just right. Now that our daughter is grown, we have one room for guests and one that is used as an office. Even in our 40's we understand the value of not having stairs to deal with as we age. We can stay here forever, if we wish. There's also the fact that I don't have to make a career out of keeping unused rooms clean just because they exist.

Linda C said...

I feel like I have been by for a visit and this time without the snow on the ground. Just the right size for you, it would seem.

Don't the two boys look comfy in that quilt!? Such a big smile on your grandson's face.

Patti said...

What a neat little rug you are making. That's on my long list of things I want to try - along with punch needle. I bought the hook and directions at the quilt show in June, and I certainly have lots and lots of strips! That's another good thing to do with ugly fabric!

Thanks for sharing the picture of your place - looks so very homey, especially the flowers in the window box.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Your handsome boys (son & grandson) look so cozy tucked under that lovely quilt.

The house sounds perfect for you because you like it. I wouldn't live in anything with two or more stories anymore. A One floor plan is perfect. I spent most of my days running from the 2nd floor to the basement where the washer & dryer were kept, carrying clothes either to wash or to put away. I'm perfectly content to have everything on one floor now.

ForestJane said...

That looks like a nice sized quilt there!

I always seem to make matching pillow shams from my leftover or mistake blocks and strips of matching fabric ... just add some borders till it gets pillow sized - and if I want it to fit a normal bed pillow, I make sure that several of the strips go on the sides to make it rectangular, not square.

And I like putting a zipper on the back, so kids can stuff their jammies in too. :)

Fiona said...

They look so proud under that quilt! I love the rug you are making - I've bought a huge crochet hook but haven't got as far as starting anything yet.

Joyce said...

THe quilt looks great. I like your house. We live on a large acerage and moving is definitely in our future. It is too much work to look after it but we love it here. Huge decision to sell but we think we should before we HAVE to. It won't be a happy day when we move though.

Sweet P said...

Your DS and DGS look so happy under the quilt. It's great when a quilt is loved so much. Your home sounds perfect for you. DH and I are house hunting and one of the features I want is to be all one floor, but that's hard to find since we want to stay in town and in a condo.

Melanie said...

Great pictures...In my mind, it's just what I picture for you...It's funny how your imagination decides things. Your guys love that quilt...I can just tell; The smiles give everything away.

Melanie

Judy said...

I think they are adorable! Thanks for explaning! That's more towards what we wanted to live in. We have the same 2 bedrooms but with a upstairs condo, no garage and no outside except a small balcony.We do have a huge pantry and a rather large laundry room. We have 14 stairs to get up into our condo, but then everything is on one level! But having no outside is a major pain when you need to paint something or want a few flowers! I think yours are perfect!

Love the fun quilt. Grandson looks so happy to have received his fabulous quilt!

Kim West said...

Your grandson sure seems to love the quilt- there is nothing like a quilt from your grandma to warm your heart.

Susie said...

What beautiful work you do! I'm still getting to know you, but each one seems more lovely than the last. I posted a picture of a quilt I saw at Relay for Life yesterday. I thought it was really colorful, and certainly promoted the reason we were all there!