Friday, September 01, 2006

September 1, 1967..39 years ago today, our baby to be was born in Michigan. A special delivery angel on December 21st. A dream became reality for me... a baby daughter.
This picture was taken at 6 months, 2 months after we got her. She has been one of the greatest blessings in my life.






Time goes so quickly and before you know it, it's time for Kindergarten. We moved back to WI, and a new teaching job. She started Kindergarden just short of her 5th birthday. And she has an adorable baby brother, who is 18 months younger and a "partner in crime". That scenario would play out many time over the next 12+ years. Here are the two of them, ready for the Halloween dance..*VBS* Not sure who they were

meant to be, maybe Fonzie and one of his girls...LOL. The family now numbers 7. Three more siblings were added between 1973 and 1976.
If you think the years go fast when they are little...brace yourself. They fly by, and graduation comes and goes X 5.
This next picture if of my 5. 3 boys and 2 girls...a wedding day for DD#1. 3 handsome blond boys, all over 6', and 2 short daughters, dark
hair on both...not a single pair of brown eyes tho. The youngest son, on the left, still had one year of high school.
This picture was taken 13 years ago, August 19th. She has remained my most special blessing, and I wish her the merriest of birthdays today, as she turns 39. Hard to believe I have a child that old...*VBS* And our story has a very happy side note. She found her birth mother in Michigan in 1993, as she prepared to marry. J. came to MN for the wedding, and has increased our family circle by one. DD is an only child. J calls her "my daughter", and I call DD my daughter. When we are together, she's "our daughter. J and I have become good friends..almost a sisterhood between us. And when I lunch with DD today and give her the Aunt Gracies friendship star quilt, we'll raise our glasses to J. in Michigan who also has a daughter having a birthday today. Posted by Picasa

20 comments:

Susie said...

What a truly heartwarming post! Happy Birthday to your beautiful daughter. How blessed she is to have two women to call Mom and to love her so...

quiltpixie said...

the love you have for DD shines through your post. May she, you and her birth mom continue to be blessed through the coming year

Linda C said...

Happy Birthday to DD and both her moms. And way to go on that gold star!

I'm a quiltin' till after lunch and then get the whip out to make me start that god awful round robin!!

Carol said...

That is the most wonderful story. You are all truly blessed.

Melanie said...

You're a neat lady.I don't know who is luckier, your daughter or your 'friend'. Enjoy your day...

Fiona said...

What a lovely post, I hope that you both enjoy your lunch.

McIrish Annie said...

Finn, these are great pictures. Your daughter is twice blessed.

Hedgehog said...

Thank you for sharing - best wishes to your whole family!

Darcie said...

Happy Birthday, DD #1! A big hug to you from ND! What terrific pictures.

That was beautiful, Finn. I've got tears and am sobbing like a baby. Don't know why...it's just all so wonderful!

My dear niece gave birth to a little Cody three years ago...in four more days. Niece got to *choose* the birthparents...and she's so fortunate to be able to see her little Cody when she can. Adoption can be such a beautiful gift for all.

Hugs and blessings to you!

Libby said...

A blessing and a gift for everyone in your family. Happy birthday to daughter. A lovely family you have there,Finn. I can't seem to come up with words, but I do have a smile on my face.

Vicky said...

You are an amazing lady, Finn! Your children are beautiful. Happy birthday to DD!

((Hugs))

Carolyn said...

What a beautiful person you are. Thanks for the lovely post and Happy Birthday to your daughter.

Carolyn

Lily Mulholland said...

Oh wow Finn - I got tingles reading your post. Your daughter is so lucky to have you as her number 1 mum! Congratulations on raising such a wonderful family my dear.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Happy Birthday to YOUR Darling Daughter!

How unselfish of you to give so many children a wonderful home and to love them as if you had given birth yourself. I admire you very much.

Sandy :)

Eileen said...

What a great story and a great family to go with it. Happy Bday to DD#1, and I hope you both had a wonderful day. How lucky she is to have 2 Moms to love her.

Joanne said...

Happy Birthday to your DD -- a day late and a dollar short, as usual!
You have a beautiful family.

ForestJane said...

What a sweet little pictorial history - fun to see her grow, from the little twist upsweep in her baby hair to the plaid outfit for the first day of school... to her wedding.

Thanks for sharing!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Finn what a wonderful memories, you almost made me cry! I love your rug! Now that I see it close up and finished I really want to make one! It is so cool looking! Hmmm, I may have to do this this winter.

Ann said...

Finn, again, I am playing catch up, and loving to read your blog. This story of your dd's birthday shows what a truly lovely person you are. I have a good friend who has an adopted son and she sends pics to the birth mother on a regular basis. I know how grateful she is that the birth mother(also a "J") chose her and her dh to be the parents of such a blessing. You truly are a very giving person to accept her as your friend and another member of your family! (((hugs)))

Cher said...

look at this post I am just now reading- what gorgeous children-and a very special daughter to have you and her birth mom to claim. loved the photos Finn.