Monday, October 09, 2006

Do you remember....? The old saying that something is as hard to find as 'a black cat in a coal bin at midnight'? Very few coal bins still exist, except in the very oldest of houses and even those are probably no longer being used. Coal bins and coal shoots were a reality in my life back in the 1940's. And altho I never owned a black cat, I understood the saying. It applied.
What I have become aware of, as I try for a good picture of Ebby, is that not
much of a black cat shows up in photographs...LOL
She is not a furniture cat. I've only seen her on my couch once, checking out a package. She steers clear of my recliner unless I am in it, offering a warm lap for sleeping.
I decided to move this arm chair into my bedroom. No particular reason, just a new location. It's an old chair that I bought as a bride and refinished. I then learned how to re-upholster the cushions and I did. It's called a "spool" chair, and has drop leaf arms that you can prop up with a swing out board from underneath. Back in 1959, it cost us $7- It was the first piece of furniture we bought as newlyweds. It serves no real purpose in my life anymore, but somehow I just don't get rid of it.
What is interesting is that within minutes of my putting it in the bedroom, and adding the throw, Ebby decided I must have done that for her. So I guess that is the reason for the move...LOL. It sits about 3" from my computer chair and she keeps an eye on me as I type. It's probably good that she has decided it's her "designated" spot...*VBS*
I don't hink her being here is coincidence. I told my DD#1 on Friday or Sat. that I had decided I needed a pet. A cat, middle aged, female, spayed, declawed, full shots record, short haired and one that had lived with a woman. All pretty specific requirements. She thought it was a good idea, and that I should check with my local pet shelter.
On Monday, an email crossed her desk at work, telling of Ebony, age 6 or 7, timid with children, spayed, declawed and needing a good home with a woman. I told DD I was interested but was Ebony a short hair. Turns out she was. Does it get much better than that?
She has already turned out to be such a blessing. And I am so grateful for this special blessing. I don't believe it was coincidence that Ebony and I ended up together...*VBS*
I will keep trying for a good picture of her..LOL.. but no promises, 'at night, all cats are black', you know. Posted by Picasa

19 comments:

Silverthimble said...

Joey is black as well. I totally understand how difficult it is to take a picture of a black cat! Although they look so cute in real life, it is difficult to cature that on "film". It sounds like Ebony and you are made for each other!

His Office, My Studio said...

May the 2 of you share a warm and loving life together. I have a black lab who is also hard to get a good photo of.

Paula, the quilter said...

She is just a beautiful cat. Seeing her makes me want to be owned by a cat again. /paula

Libby said...

It is difficult to get a good photo of a black cat. Our Dizzy was a black Maine Coon. We have plenty of photos of a big black blob with green eyes peering out *s* I'm so happy that Ebbie has come to be with you. You two will have lots of fun adventures and cuddle time, too -- even if we won't get good photos.

quiltpixie said...

what a lovely pic or two of Ebby. I've yet to find rhyme or reason to the perches my cats choose and the ones they ignore, but your right its handy if they find one close to you at the computer but not on you then!

Happy belated b'day...

Texan said...

Finn,
I truly believe what is meant to be yours in life will not miss you.... Ebby needed a home and you needed a furry friend! I too agree not a coincidence... she was meant to come live with you :O).....

Sweet P said...

I'm certain you and Ebony were meant for each other. Your chair, or should I say Ebby's chair, sounds interesting.

Patti said...

It absolutely was no coincidence - you were made for each other I'm sure. I love the fact that she "adopted" the chair where she could keep an eye on you. And I love the fact that you aren't alone any more. An animal friend is such a blessing.

Carol E. said...

Oh, she is so sweet and so happy to be with you! I can just tell. I'm glad the two of you agreed on how to use that old chair.

Susie said...

She seems like she's really settling into your home! Cats can be such good company...

ForestJane said...

I think you've met your soul-cat. :)

Bet she's SO happy to have a nice quiet house with her own chairs and throws to snuggle into.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Ebby looks very content and happy in that spool chair. Cats will always pick their special spot. Each of the housecats has it's own spot to lay in.

Jybow on Jimmy's lap,
Daisy on her brown moose, who I call moosely.
Hopalong in our bed.

Outside the cats also have their own special sleeping places.

Maybe that's what Ebby wanted when she would reach up and touch you...her chair.

Clare said...

I'm a firm believer in "things that are meant to be", especially when it comes to animals.

Ebby has found her "perch".

Jenni said...

I can't imagine life without a pet now. I have dogs at the moment, but before the dogs I had a tabby cat who was a great cat. Sounds like you were made for each other.

Gail said...

Do you really think it was YOUR idea to move that chair? Don't you know that cats use mental telepathy to control their pet humans ? Enjoy your new friend, for many, many years.

Darcie said...

Ebby is a beauty! I'm so glad that you two are getting along perfectly...purr-rr-fectly! ;-)

That chair is quite interesting. I've never seen anything like it. Ebony obviously has taken quite a fondness to it...glad you kept it for her! Some things are just meant to be!

Happy Belated Birthday, good friend!

Kim West said...

It sounds as if ebony and you were meant to be together - too perfect of a "coincidence".

Judy said...

Well until I found the flash after having the camera for almost a year it was almost impossible to get Noodles face unless the light was right in his face!!

I'm so glad that Ebby is fitting right in and getting so used to her new home! I was hoping that your new baby and you would be fast friends, and it seems like it has worked out!

Susan Tidwell said...

now you know why you kept that chair all these years!