Tuesday, November 14, 2006

In the beginning...

...there was Darcie who showed us a rug she was making from her hand dyeds. I was hooked(more ways than one *G*). Here is the start of my FIRST rug(see post of August 5th for more details). I work on these in the evening because I don't need to "see" much.

Rug # 1 finished ( see post on Sept 2nd) Since finishing it in early Sept, I've gone back and add another 3 rows of dark green around the outside, and Ilike it better.

This is the SECOND rug, (not shown until recently). It began as a joke, with a small pile of selvedges cut from fabric. I used a smaller hook and the rounds are only about 1/4" to 3/8" high. It's slow going and a WIP.

This one is the THIRD rug and is still in progress . This one was shown in my post on Sept. 12th. Since
then it has more white beyond the rose and I am now adding a varigated mix of blue scraps beyond the white. Not sure how big this will get, it's in the 30" range right now.
Hope this helps some of the newer gals who have been wondering. If you are looking for some of my Orphan block quilts, see the post on Sept 8th. That was their second appearance. And if it's my utility quilting, check out Sept 24th..*VBS*
Big shopping trip with Jean late yesterday. Laid in lots of "stuff=groceries" and some things from Fleet Farm where Jean was buying a new vacuum. Ebby gets one tsp. of "wet" cat food each morning on a saucer, and then her squirt of hairball stuff. Her 1/2 c. of dry is "on demand", and always in her dish. The former Mom was using Friskies(sliced in gravy), which is fine, but I decided to try the HouseCat line of Science Diet. It's only pennies more a can, and one small can lasts her for a week. Hopefully there isn't as much "filler" in the SD wet food. Of course she'd gobble up a whole can if it were offered, & she LIVES for that 1 tsp. each morning. She begins letting me know about her food somewhere around 4 to 4:30. Needless to say, she doesn't get it til I'm up around 7. She's good about it, just coming back to the bed and purring up a storm til I actually agree to get up.
Amy at Calico Cat, and a true cat lover *VBS*, asked if Ebby meows much. Actually, no. She doesn't. She has a whole range and lingo of "chirps and trills" that she uses. All kinds of different tones, from greetings to please play with me. The only true MEOW I've heard from her was when she was let out of the pet taxi, and knew she was "lost". She did that for a few days as she explored the house, and I haven't heard it since. Other than a siamese kitten we had years ago, I've never heard such a lingo as she has...LOL. And she has an opinion about almost everything...*S* Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I love your rugs! I haven't finished mine yet from the trip to Iowa! It is getting hard now to work on as it is getting bigger! But I'm loving yours!

Angie said...

Thanks for showing us your rugs again, Finn. Every time I see your's it makes me want to run back to the sewing room and start ripping fabric to make another one. I did so enjoy working on that. I WILL do another one eventually. :D I love reading about you and Ebby and your getting to know each other. I don't know how folks make it without those 4-legged kids that add so much to my life!

Susie said...

What beautiful rugs! I love how cats tell time with their tummies! They have their own special little language that tells what they want if you just listen carefully :)

Libby said...

I'm glad to hear that Ebby has opinions -- a girl should know her mind, likes and dislikes *s*

quiltpixie said...

its good to have a gentle alarm clock, I'd take a purring snuggly cat anyday over the am chatter of most stations :-0

Texan said...

Love Love the rugs .....one is on my list of to do!!! :O)...

meggie said...

I love to read of your little Ebby's progress in your relationship. I just love animals, & all they can teach us. My little Teenage Hoodlum still wakes me every morning early. I know I am going to miss him soo much while I am away!! I will miss my little Honey just as much, even though she is not as 'pushy'.
I love her gentle little soul.

Clare said...

Love hearing about Ebby's progress.

You want a cat that mieow's - come and stay here! Magic has the voice of a Siamese/Burmese. Boy can she shout. But if she is feeling loving and kind the mieow turns into a chirrup. If she is cross and isn't getting any attention the mieow reaches top pitch!

Anonymous said...

My favorite cat noise out of my little girl is a "mrrr" (sounds an awful lot like a quail) & it is used as a preemptive warning to the little boy - they actually sound an awful lot like two kinds in the back of a station wagon back in the 60's driving through texas... (No AC - parents hot & irritated without the kids saying, "She's looking at me.")

Nancy said...

Love the rugs. One day I'm going to try one myself.

And my Charlie-girl rarely meows. But she has a full range of squeaks and chirps and somehow always manages to get across what she's trying to say. :-)

Lily Mulholland said...

That's cats for you Finn :)

I have no idea how you are making those rugs by the way! It sounds much too complicated to me. I'll bet it's easy - I think I'm one of these people that needs some to physically show me and only then do I 'get it'!

Darcie said...

Aren't those rugs the most fun thing!!! I'm crazy about your *joke* one...love the variety that you've hooked into it!

I carry my rug -- this one is a single crochet -- in my trunk of my car...and work on it while waiting for my daughters at their various activities. And I like it too because I don't necessarily have to have good vision of what I'm doing.

Sounds like Ebby's got a pretty sweet life with you, Finn! You're a good human to have!

Anonymous said...

Your round rugs are great Finn. My rectangular one has held up well - I was worried that the dog would chew it up. I washed it the other day in the machine, and it is as good as new. I was thinking about making a pot holder.