Monday, November 13, 2006

Over the River and through the Woods...it's nearly that time again in WI. Deer Hunting....commom to this particular month, and widely practiced here in
midwest. These hunters, on that long ago day, are family. My family.
My Dad was born third into a family that eventually had 4 boys and 3 girls. He hunted in Northern WI with his Dad and his brothers for years before he married my "city gal" mom. She went up to the north woods accompanying a friend of hers who had married the oldest Smith boy. That is where she met my dad. I actually don't know the year of their meeting, but I think it was 1934. She was 19 and he was 23. He always said "I didn't get my deer, but I got my dear" that year. They married in August of 1935. After the honeymoon they settled into a very small log home in that area. Minong, Trego, Lampson..all small towns within a close circle. They lived there until Sept of 1940. They moved to her home town of Chippewa Falls, WI and I was born a month later. They never left, living there the rest of their married lives. In the picture are way too many deer for the few hunters shown.
Every year my dad saved a week of his 3 vacation weeks to use during deer season. Once he no longer lived up there, he'd catch the north bound train from Chippewa and often come back the same way, with a deer in the box cars. All of his brothers had sons, and they joined the hunting party as they became old enough. I suspect that accounts for the deer in the picture, as well as the fact that some of dads brothers in law, hunted with them.
It's an odd topic I know, but deer season opens this next Saturday a.m. at first light. And in my rural WI home, you hear the shots ringing out in the woods that still lie between the small towns. Cars full of goofy guys in bright orange become the traffic jams and the bars and resturants do a booming business feeding them.
This all continues until a week after Thanksgiving and then it's over. And peace returns to the valley. The moving shadows once again become the magic of deer in the moonlight. I understand the need to control the size of the deer population. And I would rather see them harvested than killed on the highways. But I don't like guns...period. And I will be glad when it's behind us again. Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

Angie said...

The same thing is going on here right now too, Finn. Our's started last weekend. I cringe. I too understand the need to control the deer population...but they eat in my yard...think they are out pets. I always pray they will run, run, run away and be safe...even if they do eat my flowers in the summer. The older I get the more my heart bleeds for critters.

meggie said...

Like Angie, the older I get the more sympathy I have for all living things! I know my father & uncles all went deer & pig hunting in New Zealand, as the deer were an itroduced species, & not really welcome. But I could never contemplate killing -or eating- any of them.
And when we were in the Southern Country Hotel, the Duck shooting season would come. I could never eat any of those either, & think it is why I am practically a vegetarian.

Anonymous said...

My guys become some of those goofy-outfited people who hunt too. There are so many seasons with different rules--black powder/rifle/bow and then I think they even extend the season if there aren't enough taken.
I always tell them that four can go, but only bring back one. That's plenty to put in the freezer...they never listen.

I have a spot to travel every morning where the wild turkeys are dodged because I don't want a new hood-ornament. They're multiplying faster than the deer here.

Katie said...

My husband was a sportsman. He cared about the wild animals and especially deer. He spent much of his life caring for them and this did include harvesting them. He never shot unless he was sure he could kill and he never killed what we would not eat. He worked for these animals all year around by reading, watching, and using his voice to speak for them. He also put his money where his heart was. He was very concerned with ecology in many ways and protecting wild animals was one of them. One of his dislikes were "hunters" who used the experience to drink and litter. This was not being a sportsman. Sorry for my soapbox speech especially here on your blog. I always miss my sportsman this time of year.

Sweet P said...

Having grown up in Minnesota I understand deer hunting. Only one of my brothers is a deer hunter. But he uses a bow and arrow and not guns. As for me, I don't even like venison so I'm OK if I never see a dead deer.

quiltpixie said...

While not a hunter survives in my family, we had our share of venison through the years. I'd much rather have a well killed/hunted deer, than meet it up close and personal with my car, but if I were God there'd be neither.... Good thing I don't run the world though as no doubt it'd be a bigger mess then now :-)

Nancy said...

I personally don't hunt although it's pretty common here for the women to hunt too. Where I come from that was a man's sport and one I had no interest in. But I have eaten my share of venison and love it if it's cooked right. Although I do love watching the deer in my yard I also understand that without thinning them the populations grow in numbers greater than nature can provide for and they end up starving to death. Better to become food for someone's table that have that fate in store. It's sad but that's life in the woods.

Libby said...

I grew up around hunting and hunters, too. Because not all the hunters followed rules, my mom took to having me wear a bright orange jacket when outside playing. I, too, understand the need for hunting and have enjoyed meals that are a result. The part that I remember sadly is silly, stupid people who would come out to our road and abandon their dogs in the hills in hopes they might fall victim to hunters. We had got a lot of nice pets this way and made our share of trips to the shelter when we just couldn't keep one more.

Lily Mulholland said...

Thanks for sharing another snapshot into the recent past Finn. It's just fascinating to me how much life has changed in so short a time. I don't like guns either, but those men sure love hunting. Brings out that primal he-man instinct!

molly said...

Enjoyed your reminiscences---we lived for a time in MN and I miss the beauty of the snow....but not the brrr factor.

YankeeQuilter said...

Where I lived in Marylnad some of the guys I worked with had a venison cooking contest in early December. I had never eaten it until then and don't think I've ever had any as good as what those guys could pull together!
Siobhan

Anonymous said...

Do they do bow hunting too? (Well that qurstion could refer back to your father as well as to todays hunters.) I think they do around here...

My husband & I need to order our venison & bison - not we don't hunt...

dot said...

Loved the story and the picture. Brought back memories for me. My father and brothers hunted every year and I certainly enjoyed that season. I loved helping my mom cut up the meat. I got my hunters saftey card in the 6th grade but never hunted. I married a city boy so that is now part of my past.

Darcie said...

Great story, Finn...and the picture is very typical of those that I've come across, digging through boxes of my Mom's and Dad's childhood pictures. My! Look at those wonderful trophy bucks!

We live in a prime area for deer...but don't hunt ourselves. Although, hubby is applying for gratis right as I am writing this. He always says that he can't hit the broadside of a barn...so we'll see just how successful he'll be!

Clare said...

Your description made me think of the Chasse over here. End of July until October is wild boar season and then it is a free for all. At least they are given a quota that they can shoot and get fined if they go over. Every Sunday morning we see them in the distance in their orange jackets and hear the dogs and the horns. I get worried for the cats, but they have learnt to lie low.

Ebby is looking beautiful!

Maureen and P.D. the Pet Dog said...

Thank you Finn, enjoyed your memories.