Tuesday, November 07, 2006

November Notes..............a day of counting. Do you ever think about all the ways we count? All the tally sheets, time cards, calendars, score sheets, census, head counts, roll call, check book balances, sick days left, months til vacation, or birthday, or Christmas, or a loved ones return? So many things to count. So many things to tabulate a number of, for, about. It's November 7th. Veteran's Day is coming up in just a few more days. But today the counting is of votes. Tallies on slips of paper, check marks on a long form, or electronic blips on a new computerized voting machine. I voted in my local and state elections today, including two referundums. Amend our State Constitution to indicate that marriage is only between a man and a woman or don't amend. And Re-enstate the death penality or don't. We voted for a governor, and a whole flock of people to help him run the state and spend our tax dollars. So many serious things to think about and to count on a cool, gray, semi-rainy day in Wisconsin.
Counting is important. Counting counts, both literally and figuratively. It seems as if anyone with reasoning ablitities and self awareness can or could...count. I'm all for counting...in regard to issues, political races, days til Christmas and the like. Not so much for the "counting" that includes you by color of skin, ethnic origins, personal preferances, or sets rank according to what you "have" or what you drive, or the clothes you wear. I have little use for that kind of counting. I'm glad today is over now at 10:43 p.m. The election results will rule the airwaves for one more day, and then disappear, I hope.
So here's my two cents worth.
Friends Count...
You have such a special way about you...
a way of knowing just what I need
to make me happy...
and nothing makes me happier
than being friends with you.
Hugs, Finn

13 comments:

May Britt said...

And it makes us happy to be a friend with you. Very nice little poem.

Susan Tidwell said...

You do have a way with words! "Counting counts, friends count, days til Christmas..."

You can count on us!

quiltpixie said...

wonderful post -- as a canadian the airwaves being saturated with US politics, does "wear thin"...

Pam said...

And I count you as a wonderful person who makes me smile with all of you thoughts and ponderings.

Texan said...

I agree, counting/numbers seem to be a huge part of life, and I have always liked numbers, not saying I am great at Math (G) I just like numbers(VBG)...

Nancy said...

I'm glad to count you as my friend.

Darcie said...

Many important thoughts and ponderings that you've shared Finn. You're a good friend, Finn! Hugs to you!

Darling bear collection!

Susie said...

Great post and I count you as a friend also!
((hugs))

Patti said...

Love your post Finn - especially the last part about friends counting.

I count still a whole 'nother category too - UFO's, PIGS, HSY's, brazen HSY's, UFT's, quilt books . . . I think it's called an addiction!

I'm just sorry many more people don't stand up and use their right to be counted - at the poll - where it could really make a difference to our country.

Sweet P said...

I spend all day with numbers and counting. Numbers are everywhere! Even in quilting. Sometime I wish they would just go away.

I love to read your entries. You have a gift with words. Thank you calling us your friends.

I haven't found threads on my toast, but I have found them on DH in the middle of the work day.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I'm counting on you to be my friend. This was a very reflective post and what a nice picture...did you make them?

Katie said...

And nothing makes me happier than having you for a friend!

Cher said...

I think our friends count big time-glad to see you have plenty of friends to count on Finn, including me :-)