Sunday, November 12, 2006

Scrap bag bits and pieces..

Picture pieces from my scrap bag on this cold November Sunday....my newest friend who is becoming my faithful feline. We've finished our
sixth week together and are beginning to understand what each of us expects and is all about. I'm adjusting my life to fit hers and she has begun to see me as primary human. It feels like she has stopped waiting for rescue by her former owner. She still jumps when I sneeze, but has gotten past my coughing and movements. I talk to her in a soft voice that I use for "sweet talking" to animals
and babies. It's low pitched and sound similar to her "talking" sounds. It's neat that when she's not around and I say "Ebby?" and she answers me from where ever she is and comes running.
Right after yesterday's pic of the old quilt, I plopped a couple of more quilts on my bed. Look who found a nice 4 quilts pile to kitty test..LOL I'm quite sure she hasn't been raised with quilts to sleep on, but she's
getting the hang of it quite ...*VBS*
This picture is my 2nd rug. For this one I've used a smaller I hook and the very narrow odds and ends of fabric, including selvedges. Some strips are only 1/4" wide. It's a slow go as I mostly hand sew the stripes together as I crochet. It's up to 27", and coming along.
This last pictures is a "gift of time" from my dear friend Jean. She's a friend of many years and I taught her to quilt back about 2000. Both she and the friend who is staying in Betsy's guest house were students of mine the same summer. And they went in completely opposite directions. Which has this quilt teacher scratching her head...LOL I told each the same things, gave them my five cents worth of reasoning and history. And off they went. Jean became a very traditional quilter, who hand quilts and uses scraps and fabric marvelously. G. went into the "accquisition" mode, and zeroed in on batiks and never looked back. She had quilted one quilt with regular tread and a small needle, one with perle cotton and then bought a Juki and quilts everything by machine. She joined a fairly "elite" group of the quilt police and has developed a bit of sneer at the scrappy, wild stuff Betsy and I do...*VBG* If it's not batik, it's not ok......ya right!
I don't consider either students leanings a failure,but I am perplexed at how differently it turned out. I had given each of them a stash start...several grocery bags each of some of most every color, both FQ's, yardage and scraps. Jean is still using hers and it has multiplied beyond belief, as has G's. (The stashes that is)I love seeing my scraps in Jean's quilts. G returned the bags to me last fall. A few pieces taken out, but for the most part, just as I gave them. I don't think I've ever gotten a gift back before....it's an interesting experience.
Anyway..long story. But the basket of rag(fabric) balls were a gift from Jean last evening when we had supper together. She had taken several bags of my torn strips, sewn them together, trimmed them and rolled them up for me to use...*VBS* The basket is one I got from a guild member friend years ago. She made it for my birthday. Jean works full time in activities at our local nursing home, and the rag balls really are a gift of time...and love. And such gifts bless both the giver and the receiver.*VBS* The background behind the basket is Ebby's sheepskin in one of my chairs. Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Angie said...

Hello dear Finn and Ebby! :D I'm still out here in the land of the living! LOL Gosh, I love Ebby's nest "pile" ... she's one lucky girl. LOL And your rug, oh Finn, I LOVE it!! I haven't started another yet, but of course, seeing your's I want to start one RIGHT THIS MINUTE. ROFL And your gift...that's a true gift of love...I haven't even taken the time to make MYSELF rag balls (and I adore the look of them in that basket!). It is quite interesting the path that each of us ends up following...LOL

Anonymous said...

I've never had a cat that 'answered' to her name! Love that pile of quilts - I'd plop down and sleep there, too - but with one more on top of me. It was so interesting to hear your write about how different your students turned out - I imagine that my students learn wildly different things in the same class - I'd just like to get inside their heads and have proof of that!

Sweet P said...

It is amazing how you can teach 2 people the same techniques using the same tools and send them on their way and see how they turn out differently. What you can't control is the behaviors each person brought with them. I would guess that G. is a perfectionist in everything she does and Jean does everything with a sense of love.

Ebby is sure making herself comfortable in her new home. I'm happy for both of you.

Libby said...

It sure it a human puzzle on how your students could have gone in such directions. I guess it just becomes a matter of what pleases the eye. Different strokes for different folks -- it's too bad about joining the 'quilt police though . . . that's a segment of law enforcement we just don't need *s*

Texan said...

Finn, this rug is just so very pretty I just love the colors in this one!! Not that I didnt like the others but this one is really hitting my fancy color wise for some reason!! I have not yet started my crocheted rug, but I am going to!!!! (VBG)

Ebby has the most beautiful eyes I think I have ever seen on a cat!

Your rag ball gift from your friend, what a great gift...

Anonymous said...

Ebby is such a pretty girl! You can see more than her eyes in this picture. Interesting how two pupils turned out so differently--guess we all find our own muse. That returned fabric box will find a new home, I'm sure.

quiltpixie said...

its wodnerful that Ebby lets you know where she is when called, sounds like you're both adjusting to life together well...

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

So, is this called a rag rug like in Anne of Green Gables? I am a big user of every last bit of fabric so this interests me. I'll look back through you blog for more details. Is it basically just crocheting fabric cut into thr thin strips and then sewing it into a mat? Love Ebby.

Darcie said...

That's what quilting is all about, my dear friend. You gave each of your friends your all...and they accepted it and grew leaps and bounds...each in her own fashion. Your traditional/Maverick foundation will keep them strong, no matter what they choose to create.

LOVE your rug!!! Sounds like you're quite busy! Lovely gift basket of fabric balls. Anyone who crochets and has made at least one fabric ball knows just how precious these are! Priceless!

Judy said...

The rugs are super duper!! I'd say give the bag of scraps to Jean and I bet she keeps them in rotation for quite a while longer.

I think people just have different "styles". I tend to like everything!! The lady who sat next to me at guild mentioned as we were chatting that she initially dropped quilting because she detests anything by hand...which I Love!! Not until rotary cutters did she come back to quilting.

I don't like quilt police, but to each his own. That's what keeps things interesting!

Anonymous said...

Does Ebby meow much?

I can mimic my cats pretty well, so well in fact that I got smacked for talking back... (& my girl has a miriad of different meows...)

Joanne said...

What a nice gift. And definitely a gift of time. I know someone just like "G"! vbg We took the same beginner quilt class and she went leaps and bounds toward art quilts and never looked back, while I plodded along doing my own thing and loving traditional and scrappy!

Lily Mulholland said...

Finn, don't be perplexed - it's just human nature at play! It's like letting go of a child - you arm them with the best life lessons you can and then have to watch as they go careening out into the world! I'll find out how hard that is in about 18 years time - VBG!!

sewprimitive karen said...

Love all the pictures of Ebby!

Hanne said...

Looks like you and Ebby are making a very good team :-)