Saturday, December 09, 2006

Frosty's Friends.....

and definitely old enough to be his grandfather. Do any of you remember or collect these pulp paper figures? They made them in almost every form back in the late 1930's and quite abit of the 1940's. Until I ran across this pair at Goodwill, I had only seen Easter rabbits done in the molded cardboard. I have two of them...one that belonged to my dear ex as a child(and that I haven't returned to him*G*, and one I found in an antique store. Since them I've seen Jack-O-Lanterns with a wire handle done in this product. This picture shows the bottom. You can see it's done with a two part mold and then joined up. I think it's the vintage of them that appeals to me the most. But my collection is limited to about 5 pieces. These 2, and the 2 standing Easter bunnies with a empty pack on their backs to hold candy...and one small blue
seated rabbit I also found at Goodwill. I'd love to have more, but rarely pursue "collecting" anymore. If I came across one, I'd buy it, but I don't seek them out.
And of course, what would be a week with my darling Ebby? This hand made doll with yarn hair is a new favorite of hers. Not to attack, but to use as a lap or a pillow...*VBS* Anywhere I set the doll on the bed, Ebby moves to that spot and lays across her legs. And of course if the doll is on the electric blanket...all the better...*VBS* Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Susie said...

I didn't know the name for them, but I have some of those little snowmen too!
They are looking somewhat ancient, but they are part of my treasures!
Ebby gets cuter each week. I know she must be such good company!
((hugs))

Cher said...

well, it's her baby now, right? sweet of her to make herself so at home.
what charming Christmas collectibles you have Finn...and thanks for the additional info on Patience Corner block.

Anonymous said...

great that ebby has such a friend -- now you can encourage her to lay out somewhere specific if you wanted :-)

Angie said...

Love your snowmen, Finn! I don't have any of those...if there were any around when I was growing up we probably tore them up LOL seeing as there were so many of us. :) Ebby is adorable...and how "cute" that she loves that doll!

Katie said...

No dumb kitty there. VBS

meggie said...

Ebby is looking so happy.
Love that quilting.

Anonymous said...

Your snowmen are super cute Finn, vintage things are so sweet. I love that Ebby has become such an important part of your life, she seems perfect for you, such a darling!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Anonymous said...

Ohh, we had one of those growing up. :) Ours was a lot like that, but I think he had a scarf on his neck, and instead of the broom, he had a hole through his... paw? probably where a broom handle would have gone. We always stuck either a sprig of holly from the bushes out front or a candycane into the hole. :) And I think he came on top of a bottle of wine, because his hole was bigger, and he was wine-tall.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

That's what my Daisy does too...she has a moose and everywhere the moose is put is where you will find Daisy sleeping across the mooses back.

Libby said...

Finn, I love your vintage snowmen. You have a good eye to spot these things when you are out and about. I must learn to look a little more carefully and see if I can find some treasures, too *s*