Saturday, February 10, 2007

Another dubious finish...

I jumped from the pile of 3 doll quilt tops that needing finishing to a bag with 8 of these frog blocks....LOL. Gotta have at least ONE boy oriented doll quilt in case a bear or truck needs wrapping. This one is all flannel, and small but
snuggles nicely.
I'm scratching my head today trying to remember what sidetracked me yesterday after I sewed this one together. Darned if I can remember..*VBS* Oh well....I'm back to working on remaining two quilt tops today. Little Emily tearfully told Grandma Jean of the need for dolly quilts(blankets) and when Jean asked how many they needed she said "five"....LOL She's turning 3 next week but holding up 3 fingers is still hard, while 5 works very well. I can obligue them with 4 for sure, and then we'll see what else I have laying around this weekend. Must some orphans(like the frog blocks) that I can whip up.
It's soooo wonderful to hear of small girls actually playing with dolls and wanting clothes and blankets(quilts) for them, that I'm so happy to help fulfill that need. I've made clothes for Granddaughter Alisen's Amerian Girl doll, and did provide a cradle, infant doll and small quilt when my oldest son was adding baby#2. Nick(#1) just about 18 months and didn'tget it about a new rival. Hopefully his own "baby", cradle and quilt helps alittle.
Molasses....that weird subject I wandered of to Thursday. I think one of the main reasons most homes had it was to make baked beans. People really did make baked(in the oven with salt pork or ham or bacon) REAL baked beans as far back as the late 1950's when I was dating DH. And of course, depending on your reason, you used it on your cornbread(Vicky) or for molasses cookies, molasses crinkles, gingerbread, the German christmas cookie that I can't spell but starts Ph(pronounced f) People used to grow their own Navy beans(lots and lots in Michigan), and if you didn't grow them, you could buy a large bag(50 or 100 #'s) quite cheaply. I know beans were a staple for the cowboy ranch hands on cattle drives. Easy to transport dry, and could be cooked up each day over a camp fire.
I think the art of making brown bread(baked in a round tin, like coffee or shortening used to come in) and New England Baked beans is getting to be harder to find. Even on menus you most often get canned baked beans these days.
Baked beans by the roaster full were a staple of church suppers and funerals. I even like them in the summer, with a hot dog or hamburger at a cookout. Potato salad, chips, veggies and you're all set til it's time for pie or watermelon.
Real, good homemade baked beans are just the best!!! And not possible without molasses....*VBS* Not that I hold stock or anything like that. The label used to have a picture of a woman in an apron on it, but the name eludes me...does anyone remember that???The name?

14 comments:

Fiona said...

I love doll quilts, they are the kind of thing you remember when you are grown up, and can never find anything that was as pretty as they were in your memories.

Sweet P said...

There are some restaurants here in New England where you can get "real" baked beans. Usually it's the small breakfast places that serve them.

I remember many church suppers with pots of baked beans. I have a confession though - I like to scoop up baked beans with potato chips. Yummy!

I will be bloggin about something from days gone by later today or tomorrow.

Beemoosie said...

The doll quilts are just adorable!
My grandma and cousin make baked beans from "scratch" LOL! I just love them, maybe this year I'll grow the beans and learn to make them too!

Katie said...

More on molasses. My German Christas cookies were called lebkuchen in German and I called the cookies "Lassie" cookies when I was little.

QuiltingFitzy said...

I saw your posting today, and later came upon this photo...oh yum. (You may need to scroll down for the VanCamps ad).

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1333/415/1600/scan0005.0.jpg

This gal posts pages of her 1906 Ladies Home Journal for scrapbookers to use, I just like looking at the pages!

Love your blog Finn.

Originally from Michigan and a true fan of baked beans...any ol' way is fine.

Fitzy

QuiltingFitzy said...

PS. The original site address is
http://www.ladieshome.blogspot.com/

Sorry.

Patti said...

Ours was Brer Rabbit Molasses - orange label. It had a rabbit with a jacket on the label. I remember it very well. It was the lighter rather than the darker molasses. I remember my mother baking beans, but that was before I didn't much in the kitchen so I don't remember what she put in it. Probably molasses as that was probably why she had it in the cupboard.

Love all your little doll quilts!

ForestJane said...

I think the froggie quilt is adorable... :)

The day care I worked at had a whole collection of easy-to-put-on outfits for kids AND the dolls. They were simple, hemmed squares of fabric, with a line of elastic along one edge, and a 'tab' of velcro at each corner. These were easy for little fingers to put on, and could be used as a doll skirt, bonnet, cape, etc. but without any fussy little armholes for them to get frustrated with.

Lily Mulholland said...

Pfeffernusse are the biscuits Finn :)

I love them and could eat them by the bagful. Of course until I read your post I had no idea they have molasses in them - no wonder they taste to good!

Love your dolly quilts by the way. What a great way to use up those orphan blocks!

Lynn Dykstra said...

These quilts are delightful! I also find stuff in my piles I have no memory of making. This doll quilt solution is good.

Unknown said...

The froggies are SO cute!! I love it!

Bonnie

Shelina said...

These are great doll quilts, and so sweet of you to whip them up. I wrote about old toys in my blog today.

Susan Tidwell said...

Love your doll quilts! You are always coming up with such neat stuff. Hope you are keeping warm there. Have a great week!

Vicky said...

Your doll quilts are gorgeous! Nothing dubious about them!

I make baked beans from scratch. Another excuse to use molasses! Also put a touch of brown sugar in them, just to cut the sweetness! (vbg)

Have fun at the pancake party! The residents will love it!

(Hugs)