Friday, February 09, 2007

A Dubious Finish....

but as slow as I am moving, I'm going to take any 'finish' I can get!!!! The picture is one I snapped this a.m. just after finishing up this doll quilt. I did a quick pillowcase turn and ran a few lines of machine quilting....done!
My very dear friend Jean's oldest son runs a daycare in his home. He worked quite a few years(using his Early Childhood Development degree) to teach and then to work in a daycare. This past Sept. he opened his own daycare in his home. Besides his two youngsters he has 4 children each day. They range in age from under a year to a 5 year old. His daughter Emily will turn 3 next week, and she is the lucky recipient of a baby doll and dolly quilt from Grandma Jean. And that's where the trouble began. Seems there are FOUR little girls in the day care, and they ALL think they should be wrapping THEIR dolly in that one quilt...LOL. I whipped up a quick flannel one in Dec. for little brother Brody, and even tho he has little interest in wrapping dolls, his quilt gets pressed into service also.
While digging in my endless supple of UFO's I came across 3 all ready finished doll quilt tops. So I'm adding a quick flannel backing and doing that quick turn and stitch. I was able to give one to Jean this noon, and will have at least 2 more for her by tomorrow when we meet for dinner after work.
As I said, it's a dubious finish, but I'll take it and check one UFO off my list..*VBG*
And thanks to all who shared thoughts and memories about molasses...it's fun to have more information, and a better understanding of things from the past besides quilts.
I challenge you to blog about something from days gone by....like peanut butter coming in 5 pound tin pails.... something that has changed completely...there is so much we can learn from each other. Did you catch in the comments that someone from across the BIG POND had it in the pantry in a tin? Vs. a jar..*VBS*

14 comments:

Patti said...

Let's see. I remember buying Adams peanut butter in a plastic bucket - not sure how much it weighed - and having to stir it up well with a spoon before we could use it. Also mixing Carnation Instant Milk - first half and half with whole milk, then with 2%, then finally straight - because it was the only way we could buy enough milk for our kids. I remember coming home from somewhere and my daughter saying "Mama, daddy said a really bad word!" Poor daddy had mixed up a gallon of milk in our big tupperware pitcher, then promptly dropped the whole thing on the newly mopped kitchen floor.

I know my mom had molasses but I have no idea what she did with it until I came home from school with a recipe for ginger snaps and wanted to make some. Probably from 7th grade home ec. I imagine. They were very good, and I made them many times after that. I've no idea what else she might have used that molasses for, but I went through quite a few bottles making cookies.

Helen said...

I like that colour combination of the bright pink dotty fabric and teal(?) blue. Looks great. Every dolly needs a quilt to be wrapped in, so well done for helping Grandma Jean with more for the other girls!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh how sweet you made that doll quilt! What a cute story, and of course they all want to wrap their dollies up! It turned out really cute!

Elaine Adair said...

What a sweet ( !! ) little quilt! I thought it was much larger until I read all your post.

On molasses -- I'm not rural by any means, although I've BEEN there, but I always keep molasses in my cupboard. I think it keeps forever. Last time I used it, I made -- ready for this? Shoe Fly Pie! to take to Quilt Guild, of course. That was the best pie I've made for a long time. I found a recipe on Internet, and there may be option for less-sweet version. Also, I use molasses for gingerbread -- and don't forget the whipped cream. Almost as good as a finished quilt!

meggie said...

Being a dolly girl myself, I loved the little doll quilt!

I'm the one with a tin of molasses! I remember using some years ago (40+) for cooking when I was first married & my little cousin of about 4 came to my place, & she insisted she loved molasses. So I finally gave in, & let her have some. I had to give her full marks- she ate it, but I dont think she really enjoyed it!

Silverthimble said...

What a cute little doll quilt! I am sure those little girls will be thrilled to have those quilts to wrap their dolls in!

Maggie Ann said...

How pretty, and the little animal figures are darling! I can't remember anything about the good old days really. but I do post old adds from my 1906 Ladies Home Jounal on my 2nd blog...http://www.ladieshomejournal.com addy just in case you'd like to see some of the old adds. Its really for collagers to print off if they'd like. An old friend gave me a year's worth of these magazines bound in a hard cover. I snipped one apart to scan and am I ever enjoying it.

Maggie Ann said...

So sorry...My brain slipped a cog. The addy for my vintage adds blog is...http://www.ladieshome.blogspot.com/

sharon b said...

Very nice doll quilt from UFO's. I've got a stack of UFO's .. need to take them and make up a stack of neo natal quilts..18 x 27.. You always inspire me.. Thanks Finn. I still have a jar of molasses in cupboard..Love spicey molasses crinkle cookies..Must make a batch.

YankeeQuilter said...

The little girls will love these quilts.

I'll have to work on the something that has changes challenge...

Siobhan

Angie said...

What a lovely doll quilt, Finn! And hey, a finish is a finish, girl!! LOL If I don't forget, I'll post about "wash day cookies" from my childhood. :P

Katie said...

My Michigan mother made those baked beans with molasses but my Arkansas DH hated them because they were sweet. Nothing sweet in his Southern beans. I'll take that challenge.

Ali Honey said...

We have Golden Syrup which is similar to molasses. It always used to be in tins and still is but now it also comes in a fliplid squeeze bottle ( no spoon needed ).
I remember some awful practises from my NZ childhood. Green beans salted down in jars ( the tasted disgusting! )and eggs rubbed with a Vaseline type substance to keep them for when the hens went off the lay.

The Calico Cat said...

Love that doll quilt!

I remember buying saltines in a tin, so they were not all crushed by the time you got home...

(O.K. my parents bought those Saltines.)