Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Jean and The Feed Sack....

my friend Jean has just found her first feed sack! She's as excited as if she won the lottery...well, ok, almost as excited...*VBS* It's not a feed sack I would be thrilled with, but I have a lot of feed sacks and vintage fabric. She's new to this passion. Hers is a white one, stamped with the logo and information from some peanut product company. Suddenly she's truly emersed in what feed sacks are all about. So I've been rounding up some articles that will help her. The first picture is of a book specifically about quilts make during the Great Depression and the role that feedsacks(also flour, sugar and salt sacks) played in those quilts. It's a nice book, but if I had not received it as a gift, I would NOT have bought it. The second picture is of one of the string quilts shown in the book. I rather like it and thought you might too. It's 72" X 86", pieced by Georgia Sutherland Swanner in early 1940 in TN.

This picture is labeled "String" quilt, but as you can see, it falls into the 'crumbs' catagory more than strings. It's 64" X 75" and from Cumberland Co, TN in the 1930's.
I had one more picture here when I started, LOL, but I guess Blogger is saving that one for another post.
Someone asked about Ebby yesterday, she is doing well. I'll post a new picture of her soon, and tell you of our progress....just when I had almost given up on her....finally, some progress!! Color me tickled pink!

3 comments:

Michele Bilyeu said...

I've collected a few feed sacks over the years...Fischer's Flour etc...but what I love the most is my mother-in-law's stories of making curtains and little shirts out of them during the Depression. Puts a whole new spin on the idea of wearing 'sackcloth' ;)

Maggie Ann said...

Good morning Dear Finn...I came across this blog http://endment.blogspot.com and I so enjoyed it. You came to mind so I send it along for you to visit and see if its your cup of tea too. Loving wishs for a happy day to you from Maggie.

Patti said...

Oh, I can hardly wait to hear the most recent news about Ebby. What are the two of you up to these days? What has she done to tickle you in that most delightful shade?