Monday, February 26, 2007

In another time and another place...

this quilt pleased me. A simple, but useful approach to my scraps, adding sawtooth star points to previously made 9 patches. Some wild lattice and I was good to go. That was then. These days I just want it to go away and leave me alone...LOL I started quilting it sometime ago..moment of weakness, I think. I do tend to get bitten by these STRANGE bugs sometimes..*VBG* This is the one
I'm plugging away on these days. The quilting is very, very minimal, as I am using a # 5 perle cotton(the blue) and it's hard to pull through. I have one of those little circle grippers that I have to use each needleful. I've quilted a long, continous line down the centers, across the lattice and all. Then I'm doing a "box" that connects the upper square and points to the row above or below. The box extends between each two block pairs. Hard to explain, but easy to do, and plenty to hold a cotton batt in place.

I'll be very happy to see the end of this one.
On another quilty note...do you gals know about Hamilton Books? It's an online clearance house with books in almost every category. Right now there are 157 quilting books to choose from. I checked this a.m. to see if by any chance the Small Endearments book might be there, but it isn't. They do have the Civil War Diary book tho, and lots of others. Check it out at http://www.hamiltonbook.com/hamiltonbook.storefront The books are all new, some are a bit shopworn, but it tells you that along with the description. AND...the shipping is very reasonable. One book is $3.50, but I have 6 books coming and the shipping is $5.90..really amazing. Go over to the left sidebar and scroll down to Needlecrafts. Click on that and it will list knitting, rug hooking, embroidery and of course, Quilting books. I have NO affiliation to them, just a happy customer!! I think I heard about it from Quilt Pixie. I was able to get my Gwen Marston and Freddy Moran book there, for $15.99 before it even hit the bookstores.
As for getting the Small Endearments, you Prim quilters really should check out Dawn copy(coming used from Amazon) the first half of the book is all primative applique quilts for children...lots and lots...I think Dawn will be happy...*VBS* I got mine in a Book Clearing House Store for $7- about 10-12 years ago. You might find it online SweetPea, other than Amazon, but I think you'll really have to scout it out.

14 comments:

quiltpixie said...

you should be proud of your perseverence. When the quilting is that hard going, I'd be so tempted to change the plan or abandon the project! On the otherhand, you'll end up with a beautiful work....

Nellie's Needles said...

About the quilting. Is the shaft of your needle large enough to make an easy path for the perle cotton thread? Also, if you're not allergic to latex cut a digit off a glove to wear on the thumb of the hand pulling the needle through the fabric. That sure beats having to pick up that rubber ring for every stitch. Also, these are more flexible and cheaper than the finger cots that can be purchased for this purpose.

Elaine Adair said...

Very pretty - but I have no experience with the big stitch/perl cotton thread.

Good use of scraps, though.

Rose Marie said...

I've admired your hand quilting for some time now ... yes, I was a lurker! :o) I also use a tip of a latex glove but wear it on my index finger and it sure saves time and also no sore fingers.

Sweet P said...

Good job on the hand quilting. I have to get back to working on mine.

Have you ever tried addall.com to find a book? It's a meta-search engine that searches sites all around the world. I found Small Endearments there. But haven't committed to buying it yet.

Quilts And Pieces said...

I got my Small Endearments today!!!! And it is in pristine shape! I'm having a happy night enjoying it!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Forgot to say I love that quilt you showed! Your quilts are always so fun!

SuBee said...

I'm in awe of your ability to stick with a project that's lost it's charm - good for you! The stitches look great, so it's worth the headache. As for that link to HamiltonBooks? Gee, what a great reference! I just bought 7 books!

tootsiesmom said...

I love your big stitch quilting! I quilt like that and don't even have to try! Is your quilt on a frame or hoop?

CONNIE W said...

I like the quilt you're working on in the photo, it's looking great. And thanks for sharing about the sale books. I need to check it out.
:)

Susan Tidwell said...

Hi Finn! Great quilting going on at your house, I see. I thought of you on Sunday afternoon when I was working on a long-time project of mine (you said just set aside an hour a day to work on it). I am making some progress, thanks!

Libby said...

One of the many wonderful things about quilts: If you put them aside and don't tend them for a while, they will be in exactly the same condition when you return - this cannot be said for gardening, which is why I have many wilty plants *s*

Tonya Ricucci said...

ugh, good to know what a struggle it is to use perle #5 - think I'll avoid that. But I will check out Hamilton Books - thanks for the recommend.

Patti said...

Have you ever tried using finger cots? They are the best thing I've found for pulling stubborn needles through when hand quilting. What I like is that I wear it on my index finger so it's there every time I need it. I don't have to pick up something else to help me. My family thinks they are so funny looking - and claim my finger is practicing "safe sex". Yep - I have to tell you - that's sort of what they look like LOL!