Wednesday, February 21, 2007

A November kind of morning....

and I'm not quite sure how to feel about that. One thing I am certain of is that it's been a really crazy, mixed up year since the autumnal equinox. I suppose I could say winter solstice, but it's been goofy longer than that. I do find true beauty in this picture, and altho I don't have grand vistas living here, I enjoy
the views I do have. This one is looking SE from my little patio.I espcially like those trees starkness, against the sky. It sounds like we are under a winter storm watch for the upcoming weekend, and Darcie in ND let me know that wind is coming...LOL. Some of these days I expect I'll see her blowing past my window, heading east...*S*
I have enjoyed all your comments so much lately, as you think about piecing for pleasure, dolly quilts and memories of learning from family members..*VBS*
I have been making new memoies(as always) this week. I had lunch with old friends yesterday, and promised two doll quilts made from reproduction fabrics for my friends granddaughters. They will be "just right" for Easter giving. I have many of those Cracker blocks made,and I can whip up two in
no time. Last evening DD#1, my Princess, came and brought dinner for us. We dined on steak and salad, with chocolate elcairs for dessert. We brainstormed over an offer I had recieved for an 8 day tour of Tuscany, looked for affordable airfare, and had a good visit. I AM toying with going to Tuscany in Oct. I just hate the 'single occupancy' part of it. I showed her my Delectable Mountains quilt top, which is going off for machine quilting soon. She jumped right up and put on her "ready to receive it" hat...she thinks ALL the quilts I make are for her...LOL
This second pic is of a doll quilt I received as a gift from an old, old friend in the early 1990's. We both love the quilts in the Living With Little Quilts book, and she whipped upand hand quilted, two of them. She used scraps from me and some of hers. It will enlarge with a double click and you can check out the fabrics. She has made most of the quilts featured in the Little Quilts books. I have made 4 or 5, I think. Time to drag those books out again, and have a look at all those great quilts.

10 comments:

quiltpixie said...

given the nasty weather we're having in southern Manitoba, I'd say you're in for yucky weather soon Finn...

meggie said...

Hope you can batten down, & keep warm during the nasty weather it seems could be coming your way!
Love those little quilts. How I would have loved them when I was a child!

Maggie Ann said...

Life is full of richs, isn't it. Good books, good friends. Hope you have a wonderful time vacationing...it sounds heavenly.

Katjaquilt said...

Tuscany is so amazing. Don't miss it!

Libby said...

The little quilt is a delight - and bonus -- to see the quilting when I enlarged. Am anxious to start my handquilting - can you tell*s*

bettsylyn (Lynda) said...

Little Quilts make perfect doll quilts. I made a few back in the 90's and although they weren't made to be doll quilts they certainly were used that way at times. I was looking at my Little Log Cabin quilt yesterday - the fabrics are faded and the binding worn. Maybe I should revisit again and make some more. I use them as table toppers mainly, and have always loved them.

Elaine Adair said...

Oh, that dreary winter sky - but for the good part, those 'glaciers' you put up with in the yard and street, and indeed suffering from global warming! Yeah. February is almost over, spring will come once again.

The piles of snow and slush are almost gone here in windy Nebraska, replaced with mud, and a long line of cars at the car wash - a sure sign of hope for milder weather.

Keep quilting.

dot said...

Sounds like you will have a great time in Tuscany. I know what you mean about your daughter thinking every quilt you make is for her, mine does the same thing. Have a great evening.

Unknown said...

The weather's turned grotty here in the UK today too Finn, after the first half of the half term break being sunny and dry we've gone opposite to that horrid weather combination of wind and rain - yeeeuuchhhh!!! So of course the kids are in the house vedging in front of the tv rather than out playing!

Darcie said...

Can you see me, Finn? I've got my "ready to hop along with you" hat on...for the trip to Tuscany! **VBS** What an adventure you will have! There's lots of time...if you want to search out a double occupancy friend to go along with. And if not...sometimes the quiet is nice at the end of a busy day of touring. Don't let anything stand in your way! ;-)