Thursday, February 22, 2007

One more quilt...

that I haven't shown you. I did use it in a staged picture of my vintage boxes last year. Here is how it came to be...*VBS* As a new resident of a small town, I was invited to stitch with a group of older ladies. At one of the very first gathering, my hostess gave me a box of hexagons that were already cut in this size, 2" (unfinished). She had 6 hexs for each flower matched up with centers but no piecing done. Over the next meetings I hand pieced 20 flowers, but since I was in the process of my big hexagon Honeycomb quilt, I didn't really want to add diamonds or setting hexs to these flowers. So I laid them aside. Four years later, at another new job location, I was desperate for something to work on over the Christmas holiday period when the kids were all home. I cut out twenty squares of bleached muslin and appliqued the flowers on to the squares. When that was done, I joined up the blocks, and used a nice piece of 36" lavender(also from Irene), basted the top and began quilting. I generally use Mountain Mist batting, for the look I wanted, I used MM Light...a very thin batt. The quilt is about 36" X 45". The cross hatching is at 1". I had tried 2" but found it was too much space between the lines. The flower fabrics are the "real deal", fabrics from when Irene was a bride, back in the 1920's. She had always intended to make the quilt, but the babies started coming along and she never got around to doing it. I treasure this little "pass along" quilt and some pieces of her fabric stash that came to me after her death. She had left instructions for her fabric to be divided up amongst her stitching group..*VBS*

9 comments:

Libby said...

What a dear piece - you chose just the right way to show off those vintage fabrics with the setting and quiting. I can only imagine how much you must treasure it and the memories of your friend.

Nancy said...

I've mostly been reading thru bloglines and haven't been by to comment much lately so I thought I'd stop and say Hi. I really like the doll quilts you've been showing lately. They're so "fun" looking. Reminds me I have small nieces who might love a quilt for their dolls.

Katie said...

I got back to MI last night and think I saw Darcie go by on the gale winds this morning. Was that you with her? Katie

meggie said...

What a lovely quilt with lovely memories of Irene. Perfect use for the beautiful old fabrics.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Still hear and checking in with you! Just too busy to keep up everyday! It just isn't fair when work and life get in the way of my quilting and chatting!!! :)

Unknown said...

Another quilt that proves that the simplest designs are the best Finn, it's lovely and a really special way to remember your friend

Darcie said...

That is a sweet story, Finn! The quilt is precious...and the cross hatching is superb! Love the flowers against the white.

Hold onto your hat today, Finn!!! But I think our wind is out of the East...is that a return favor?!?

;-)

Sweet P said...

What a darling little quilt with a wonderful story to accompany it. You have truly inspired me to start making smaller quilts. Now to finish the larger ones so I can start on the smaller ones.

Peggy said...

Loved reading the story behind the quilt. Have a great weekend