Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Piecing from the leftovers.......

I can claim TWO more 'finishes' from the pile of UFO's in my closet!! *VBS* And I'm thrilled about that...the brights dolly quilt on the left has been just a top for more years than I can remember. I had pieced a snowball crib quilt for a grandma-to-be, and those were the leftover triangles and scraps. Now it's ready for some play time loving..*S* The one below I just put together on Monday, from a pile of Cracker blocks that I had laying around. I am pleased with the way it turned out, and have enough Cracker blocks pieced to make one or two more this same size.
I was feeling very adventure-some on Monday, and deliberately pulled 4 of the 2" strips that didn't match. I suspect there will a comment of some sort from the Daddy Daycare Daddy, who looks at things pretty conventionally, despite his own unconventional occupation...LOL. That's fine with me!!!! Just wonder away Josh....LOL.
I did the same pillowcase turn with flannel backing on both of these, and an in the ditch machine quilting.
I've been thinking about the possibility of selling some of these dolly quilts and also beginning to get rid of my vintage fabric and tickings. I wonder if one of you with an Etsy account or Flickr, could tell me something about how that works? I'd appreciate an email..*S*
I had no doll quilts growing up..strange as that seems. I had lots and lots of dolls, but no additional doll clothes or blankets for them. As far as I know, neither my mother nor her mother(my beloved Gram Lottie) sewed. My dad patched his own overalls, and beyond that, I don't think anything got mended or buttons added. I've found out in later years that my dad's mother sewed and quilted. I taught myself to sew, and Dad got me a sewing machine the summer I was 15. I went on to teach myself how to knit,crochet, embroider and many other things. I taught my Mom to embroider, altho she had as a young bride. I have a tea table cloth she embroidered back in the 1930's.
What I am getting to is that I grew up without the joys of Grandma's button box or jar. It would have endlessly facinated me, as it does now. Where they all came from, so much variety and possibilities. Maybe Gram Smith had one, I really don't know. I've never seen any of her quilts, and only a few of Aunt Lucille's. If I couldn't have the quilts, I'd sure love to have pictures, but those don't seem to exist either. Sometimes, that's just the way it is...*S*

15 comments:

Melanie said...

Great fabrics, love the quilts. I'm always so interested to learn how women come to sew and quilt. Now days, life seems to be in such a hurry. Women don't seem to invest the time into it.

meggie said...

How sad to think you didnt have a Button jar or tin to recall. But I am sure your grandchildren will have happy memories to recall!
I love the little dolly quilts.
I never had much, but my grandmother did knit for my dolls, & I learned to knit & sew for them. I made lots of clothes for my daughter's dolls, & she was the envy of all her friends.

Angie said...

Both of those little quilts are adorable, Finn! Sooo cute! I didn't have any doll quilts either, but I did have a sewing bag with a jar of buttons and a light bulb (for darning socks LOL) in it that my Mom made especially for me so I could sew with her. I was really just a tiny tot...how I wish I had that bag now...I have no idea whatever happened to it. :P

Libby said...

Such lucky little dollies to be warmed by your quilts.
My grandma was a seamtress and as a single mother during the depression and WWII made a living with her skills. My mom had interest in learning but Grandma had little patience in teaching. My youthful interest was nil when it came to using a machine, but I did learn embroidery from Grandma and a few rudimentary things like replacing buttons from Mom. Sadly is was after they were both gone that I got the itch for home-arts. While I have taken some classes, I am mainly self-taught . . . plenty of bad habits, I'm sure. But I have had many pleasurable hours doing so *s*

Katie said...

My mother could sew, crochet and tat but she worked very long days so had little patience or time to teach me. Her mother, G'ma D, came to our home one summer and taught me all about patterns and how to sew clothes. I also took home economics classes in high school and took some classes as a young mother. My dad's mother, G'ma M, did a lot of embroidery. I know she also had a sewing machine so much have done some of that too. Her sister made quilts. I had little contact with G'ma M, so I don't know where I learned to embroider, but by age nine I had my own basket and was making scarves. I have some of my G'ma M's sewing things, including buttons.

Maggie Ann said...

Happy Valentine's Day dear Finn.

YankeeQuilter said...

These doll quilts are adorable...they will be well loved! I learned to sew from my older sister. My mom could sew on a button but that is about it. She was very supportive of our crafts since she loved to paint. I also had a cousin that worked for Burlington and would send us boxes of fabric! My sister would get first pick and I got the rest.

Clare said...

My Mum can't sew for toffee, but my maternal grandmother could. I couldn't sew anything until about 5 years ago and look at me now! I've got my grandmother's button box and it has been added to over the years. DD loves playing it and even uses some of the buttons on her cards. I have also got Grandmother's needle case, embroidery scissors, wool bag and various other bits and pieces. The scissors and needle case are used every day.

I love the dolly quilts, especially the top one.

Laurie Ann said...

Love the doll quilts! I especially love the bright one and the background/binding fabric is just perfect!!

Fiona said...

Those quilts are just adorable - and super scrappy too. I have written about my Nan before, she sewed all her life, mainly for other people. She always said it was because when she was very little her mother bought a brand new Singer sewing machine and always let my Nan and her sister use it, instead of keeping it for herself only, even though it was very precious and expensive in those days.

Sweet P said...

Both of those dolly quilts are adorable. I especially like the bright colors on white.'

I've been mulling over many of your musings lately but haven't felt like sharing much on the topics. I spoke with my mom the other day and it seemed like everyone I asked her about is in a nursing home or is totally bedridden. A very depressing discussion. Perhaps I will feel like sharing more in a few days.

Cher said...

well Finn, Laurie Ann said exactly what I was thinking! The bright dolly quilt is my most favorite-naturally-and they both are precious. so glad you are having such fun doing these. Although my Nona had a sewing machine, I never saw her use it and the only thing she let us play with was a small jar of glass beads, I would string them on a needle and thread for hours. My Grandma was a wonderful crocheter and knitter-mostly crochet. She could look at something and make it without a pattern. lovely memories.

Darcie said...

These quilts are so cheery! Just what we all need at this time in the wintery season!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I LOVE that top quilt! The colors and design are so wonderful! Glad I got some time to catch up with you and all your stuff again!

Tazzie said...

I just love the way you combine your scraps Finn, your quilts are just lovely!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)