Thursday, February 15, 2007

The ticking of the clock.....

connects our life, like a dot to dot picture, as we move from minute to minute. The minutes become hours, the hours turn into days, days into months, and then years. So many of us are very fond of the quilts from days gone by. This is one of my favorite "picture" books...a quilters version of the wish books of old, catalogs. The author, Sandi Fox is an authority on the subject of baby and doll quilts. The book was published in 1985, and again in 1994. There are just over 200 pages, and it's a great, great read. Crib and childrens quilts consume the first 184 pages, then we get to dolly quilts *VBS*.
I've only made a few dolly quilts in my life, and am ashamed to say, my oldest DD only had one, made from scraps of her flannel nighties. I have made lots and lots of 'small' quilts ala Gwen Marston and the Little Quilt people..I have made NO minature quilts. I have been quite excited and turned on by making the dolly quilts for Josh's daycare. It's soooo liberating to just do what you want, no extra measuring or cutting. Just sewing and creating what will be loved but NOT judged. This next page, of pictures from the book,

are dolly quilts. You can see they used what was on hand, and probably did little or no piecing to get a small quilt. I love the coins and the HST's..*VBS*
And I see that Blogger has just dropped off the third picture that was here when I started...LOL. It's a page of baby quilts that I think we string block piecers need to see, so I'll post it tomorrow.

I'm thrilled that so many of you have dug into your scrap bag of memories and come up with button jars, embroidery bags, little scissors, and both Grandmas and Moms who taught you to piece, sew or embroider. Neither of my 2 daughters were (or are) the least bit interested in sewing of any sort. They both know how to cross stitch and sew on a button, but couldn't hem a pair of pants or skirt...LOL. I had hoped for a granddaughter to teach, but that hasn't happened either. Not sure I have many more chances unless one of the grandsons wants to learn..*G*. Youngest son might decide to re-marry and might have a girl to go with his two boys, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. Maybe if I weren't so shy, I'd offter to teach some of the local little girls, but so far I haven't. It's something to think about. Hope you are all having a good day after Valentine's, with sunshine on your shoulders and scraps in your basket. Now get busy and whip up a dolly quilt for someone...*VBS*

7 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

I have a dolly quilt that my (step) Grandma Vera made for me in the 1950s. I should post a pic of it. Made with HST that are smallish about 1.5"? I'll have to go look. It's on the wall next to my sewing machine. I like looking at it. It was made for my Betsy McCall doll, remember her?

McIrish Annie said...

Finn, love the pics of the dolly quilts. They are adorable!! You should definitely contact the local Girls' Club or Girl Scouts and offer to teach quilting. You have so much knowledge and a love of fabric that should be shared!!

I was blessed with only one son and he is not interested in sewing but he has learned to crochet!! Something that I can't do!

I have fond memories of the Girls Club where I spent many afternoons learing to sew, play guitar and learned a bit about ceramics.

meggie said...

Love your little dolly quilts too.
It is shame you have noone to pass your talents on to. I know how you feel about teaching though- it can be quite daunting.

Nellie's Needles said...

Those are wonderful little quilts. I would've loved one when I was little ... would still love it as a grandmother.

All 3 of my grandson's couldn't wait to sew on my machine. Each have made quilts for their stuffed animals. For anyone interested in a good way to help little ones learn to machine sew, check out "Kids Sewing" on my weblog. Oh, the youngest of my four grandkids is a 5-year-old girl and she now sews, too. I feel truly blessed.

YankeeQuilter said...

I went to a lecture by Sandi at an AQS meeting. She was very interesting. That is one of my favorite reads. Sometimes I just pile my books on quilt history next to me on the couch, grab a pot of tea, and spend the afternoon dreaming about quilts and the folks that made them.

Libby said...

Love the pictures of the dolly quilts. You are going to have such fun with them.

You never know when kids will decide to take up a needle. While I always did embroidery or cross stitch, I came to the sewing machine quite late. The Princess didn't begin to exhibit any interest until she was out of the house and on the other side of the world (making it quite difficult sometimes to advise and assist her *s*)

Quilts And Pieces said...

I"ve always wanted that book! And now seeing a peek inside I"ll have to put it back on top of my list.