Thursday, March 01, 2007

The Ebony Saga....Houston,we have liftoff.....

and it left me tickled pink!! Those of you that read regularly, know that my new companion came with a "look but don't touch" sign hanging around her neck. And she MEANS it! She likes to jump on the bed and curl up next to me, or lay on my lap or the arm of my chair, but DON'T try to pick her up. Apparently she must have had a very bad experience with being contained. So, in fact, being who I am, I felt she would gradually get over it and realize no harm would come to her... I pick her up anyway. I hold her for a minute or two and set her down, on my terms. She glares at me with her ears back, but she hasn't hissed. I felt there was hope. After 5 months of that, I still hasn't accomplished a two hand 'pick up'( behind her front legs) so I could hold her. The 5 months with me was the 28th of Feb. This past Monday when I reached down and petted her, she sat still. I reached down a second hand(thats when she takes off) and she sat there! I was stunned but wasted no time in gently picking her up, giving her a brief cuddle(she was still purring at this point) and then set her back down. I have NO clue what changed, but she let me pick her up again on Tuesday and Wednesday and this morning. No resistance, no bad temper about it. I am
tickled pink, also dayglo orange, daffodil yellow and royal purple!! *VBG* The pictures are of our 'new' game. I've seen the feather and such that they attach to a short rod for you to play with your kitty. I felt the $4 or $5 was just too much. So I picked up a 3/8" dowel at the rug store(.49), thumbtacked a piece of satin ribbon to one end and she adores it. I've left the dowel it's full length so I can use it from my recliner. She will chase the ribbon, jump to catch it, grab it in her mouth and actually pull hard enough to pull the dowel out of my hands. Of course then "it's" dead, and I must pick up the dowel again and off we got. She'll play as long as I am willing, and longer.....lots longer....LOL. If I'm busy she follows me around and meows(yes, she found her meow) and tries to lead me to the room where the dowel is laying. I didn't think she was as smart as some cats I've had, but whatever she lacks in ability to learn, she makes up for in perseverance! I'm still hoping I might be able to get her to bring a small ball back to me. So far, balls do nothing for her...LOL. I have been thinking about getting some kind of feather or feathers to attach to a ribbon on a dowel and see what else she can show me..*VBS* I know the second picture isn't very good, but that's her head, headed to the ribbon on her belly, and blocking out most of the top of her bikini top. Her two front paws are already on the ribbon.

13 comments:

Elaine Adair said...

OH Finn -- what joy there is to having a pet! Your happiness is all over your post! Glad Ebony is coming 'round.

Have a great, quilt-y weekend.

Patti said...

How wonderful - for both of you! That is a huge step forward. It sounds like she will become a cuddle cat - at least part of the time. I know that's what you've been wanting and hoping for.

McIrish Annie said...

Finn, How funny cats are!! I'm glad your persistence with Ebony is finally paying off.

We have the mouse on a stick and both Holly and Bailey will leap pretty high trying to get it. You would think it would get boring after 20 or more tries but it doesn't!!

My Bailey is not a big fan of the pick up either but his sister will snuggle all day! He has finally learned his name and will sit nicely for a treat.

Holly on the other hand, doesn't respond to anything but the clink of her dinner bowl being put on the ground. She's the wild one.

We haven't had this much fun since our dear doggy, Sanderson, was a pup!

Pets really add so much to our lives.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad for both of you, Finn ! I'm sure she feels your love and your patience, and she's going to give it back to you, day by day....
Hugs & smiles !
(thanks for this nice post !)
NADINE

meggie said...

Finn, Thankyou so much for this lovely post about Ebby. She really is a beautiful cat. She is obviously learning she can trust you, & having some lovely games it seems she missed out on in her youth.
I loved your previous post too, about the crayons. How I loved them, & now intend trying them out in some of my patchwork projects, with a technique a friend told me about.

Nellie's Needles said...

I'm sending you the big smile you've brought to my face.

About Ebony and a ball ... do you think she may like to play with the ball that's attached to a paddle? That may get her used to chasing and picking it up.

Hugs

Carol said...

Oh Finn that is such good news...you've done a great job with her...something bad happened to her in her former life and now she's sure she's safe. Happy Day!

Libby said...

Patient persistence pays *yippee*

Silverthimble said...

It sounds as though you have made excellent progress with Ebby!

Tonya Ricucci said...

Woohoo, that's great. Pokey is our only cat who plays fetch, but not with balls. She used to do fake mice, then it was her pompom and now it's my rolled up socks. I don't much care what it is as long as she's playing with me.

Jeanne said...

Our Jasper loves to play with the dowel and feather or dowel and string, too. He'll jump four feet off of the ground and do a reverse in the air. Isn't it fun having this entertainment in our houses?

Hanne said...

My grand-cat Lille Rusk and I am smiling and purring at you :-)

Tazzie said...

How wonderful that you're both bonding so well. I love your softly softly approach.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)